Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2021, 11:12   #61

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Re: Covid 19 Struggle: Southern California

The article made the policy sound more sensational than it really is. Earlier I commented on why this policy will affect only a very limited number of calls.

Unfortunately, many reporters today don't provide enough background and/or details. The result is that people are often given a skewed view of what is actually occurring. In this case, the article presents a much more draconian view than is actually the case.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:34   #62

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It's a valid point that if one didn't know how that paramedics were already often making such decisions in the field, that AP article would be more alarming than it really is. Nonetheless - the authorities seem to have stepped it up a bit, and the fact that they felt it necessary to re-affirm this policy at this time... definitely not an everyday occurrence.
You are spot on concerning that this is more alarmist than it actually is. Your comment about authorities stepping it up a bit is more telling than many realize.

My comment in post #8 will provide some details about the policy and how it is not that new nor is it unusual or dramatic. SailingInTx also talks about it being nothing new.

For those not experienced with ambulances, it is common for an ambulance crew to transport a patient with almost no chance of a good outcome. There are many reasons for this. Sometimes it is done for the benefit of the family, so they don't have to sit in their home with the dead person. Other times it is because a person will hope for a miracle no matter how unlikely. Other times there is pressure on the crew from management, due to revenue considerations. Company policy, legal considerations, boredom, the need for practice, uncertainty, and other concerns also come into play.

This policy is clearly a desire to stop the wasting of limited resources. It is probably something that should be continued in some form after this ends.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:37   #63

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtis king View Post
And CA has one of the strictest lockdowns in the US.
And we see how well that works...
Old 11-01-2021, 11:50   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
It will only work if people follow the rules,sadly many do not,the same as here in the UK
Old 11-01-2021, 12:11   #65

Quote:

"Strongest lockdown in the US" isn't saying much, especially when you consider compliance. One also has to consider that most people in the poor, crowded communities in CA (where most CA spread is happening) simply cannot afford to stop working and isolate. And when the state calls many of them "essential workers"...

Not much of a lockdown.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:20   #66

Boat: Catalina 350

Does anyone find it ironic that we don't even have a vaccine for the common flu? Nor is there one for AIDS? Masks are not the answer, they are now the problem. The solution is now worse than the virus itself. It's simple math folks, the more testing we do the more we will find, HOWEVER, 90% of the folks that are testing positive are without symptoms, how do you explain that? I will tell you: Hospitals and states are making BANK just by saying the numbers are increasing. I was talking to a group of nurses over the weekend at a local hospital that are making "Covid Dollars" of $100.00 of hour in any overtime they are doing as long as the hours are marked Covid 19. The simple adage of follow the money has never been more evident than it is right now.

Many states that are in lock-down with mask orders have still NOT gotten to the death rate of 2019 and the common flu! This is a made up emergency for one simple reason.

I appreciate all the responses from everyone, what breaks my heart is all the folks that have bought into this madness and the total destruction it has caused all the hard working people of this great country! It's shameful to say the least. Oh and by the way, I lost my 87 year old mother in May, she was in a retirement home, had a severe case of Alzheimers and was just OLD. Of course the cause of death was Covid, didn't matter how much my brothers and sisters argued with he hospital, they were not going to change it. $$$$ went to them!! It's outrageous and sad.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:26   #67

Quote:
"Strongest lockdown in the US" isn't saying much, especially when you consider compliance. One also has to consider that most people in the poor, crowded communities in CA (where most CA spread is happening) simply cannot afford to stop working and isolate. And when the state calls many of them "essential workers"...

Not much of a lockdown.
these are the sort of areas(also in the UK) where there is crowding and also a lower educational/hygiene standard, also they tend to have a higher drug use area
Old 11-01-2021, 12:27   #68
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

England has now ( and had ) very severe lockdowns along side severe fines , but has suffered from inconsistent application to bumbling national policy. Scotland has done much better as have Wales but less so in Northern Ireland
Old 11-01-2021, 12:33   #69

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
=============================================

Your Liberty To Swing Your Fist Ends Just Where My Nose Begins

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
Me walking down the street is not swinging my fist. Just sayn'
Old 11-01-2021, 12:40   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I echo the Florida sentiment..on the surface, everything appears pretty much normal here (North Florida)....businesses are open, school, etc, etc.

I don't know off nor hear about any area hospitals facing any kind of emergency.

On the beach, there is never a mask to be seen.

Same goes for the marine environment...to date....I have yet to see a marina dry stack staff member with a face mask...or any boaters....or the marina mechanics or boat sales people. These are people that deal with the general public on a daily basis.

I friend of mine just recently left for the B'mas. I'm in touch almost daily. Not quite the crowds as before, but active.

Not intending to start a heated Covid discussion....merely 'splaining what I see going one here. They have started with the Covid vaccinations, but mostly geared to the retirement homes and over 65's...
Old 11-01-2021, 18:09   #71

Boat: 43 Mikelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish 2018 View Post
If masks were the answer, the virus would be done!!

States that have strict isolation and mask mandates are the states that have the highest infection rates. Cannot be disputed.

Furthermore, what happened to my constitutional rights? The more testing that is done, the more cases that will be found. Cannot be disputed.

"They" have done such a good job in putting fear into the general public that the general public willingly allows "them" to take away more and more of my rights, I refuse to go along.

If you are so scared of catching something, then stay at your house. Do not attempt to put your values on me.

Sail On
You should “volunteer “ to help out in the ICU close to your home. They need the help and wouldn’t have to spare a mask for You.
Old 11-01-2021, 18:33   #72

Quote:

Not much of a lockdown.
Fundamentally flawed arguments like that dont help your point. There are poor crowded communities in every state, some much larger than that of LosAngeles. Compliance rates also are no different there than any place else.

What your politicians are telling you is nothing more than creating the appearance of action - they are impotent but need to appear to be doing something effective and its equally clear it isn't effective. Today, california reported 4 times as many cases as the next highest state (corrected for population), the rate of increase there is 3 times the next worst state (all according to CDC data).
Old 11-01-2021, 18:34   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painless View Post
You should “volunteer “ to help out in the ICU close to your home. They need the help and wouldn’t have to spare a mask for You.
Great example of - when you cant contradict the argument, baffle them with BS.
Old 11-01-2021, 19:06   #74

Quote:
Fundamentally flawed arguments like that dont help your point. There are poor crowded communities in every state, some much larger than that of LosAngeles. Compliance rates also are no different there than any place else.
What are the fundamental flaws? Did you read those links I've posted earlier, from the LA Times? Apparently not.

CA is kind of unique because of its dependence on large numbers of low-paid agricultural labourers, many of whom aren't documented. Kind of a catch-22; they can't eat if they don't work. And they're deemed essential workers.

If you're suggesting that overall, compliance in CA is as poor as elsewhere in the US, as often mentioned on CF... I'm not in a position to disagree.

btw, what is your point?
Old 12-01-2021, 05:00   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DAntonio View Post
Just curious, many are quick to say the US and UK response to covid was abysmal, but can anyone show me an example of a country of 300+ million generally free people who absolutely nailed it, got it so right that they can be held up as the model? I think this is far more difficult to blunt than many arm-chair experts, and agenda-driven journalists and politicians, realize...
... So again, and this is a serious question, not a political statement of any sort, what big, free country with a free exchange of information for verification, got this right? Which other countries have developed a viable vaccine that is now in use?
Firstly, that’s a very small metric you’ve chosen, for comparison. Only China, India, and the USA have populations exceeding 300 million. I’ll leave it to others, to judge their relative levels of personal freedom, but China came closest to “nailing it”.
Only Indonesia, Pakistan, Brazil, and Nigeria have populations of over (even) 200 million.
In my (only somewhat informed) opinion, none of them (3 or 7) got it even nearly right, at the beginning of the pandemic, or even of the second wave.
In fact, I believe only a very few countries came close to getting it right.
New Zealand (tiny island nation) would be among those few, we might hold up as a, better, but imperfect, model.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...my-243934.html

Tags
cal, california