Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2021, 07:28   #46

Re: Covid 19 Struggle: Southern California

Ann, I'm sorry about the great sadness the sensationalized headline brought to you.

From the article:
Quote:
In Los Angeles, where packed hospitals have been turning away ambulances, medics were on Monday instructed not to transport adult cardiac arrest patients if they could not be resuscitated in the field.
In the two department I've worked with here in Texas, they both have protocols for "field termination". Not transporting adult cardiac arrest patients if they could not be resuscitated, has been going on for a long time.

The sad part is how the AFP pulled this everyday occurrence and used it to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:35   #47

Boat: 42 GB

I’m in an essential business and working in Los Angeles. Our business has a number of cases of COVID-19. I’m happy to report that none of the sick individuals had to be hospitalized, and most are on the road to recovery or are already back at work. Our oldest victim is 72 years old with underlying conditions. His case was not severe, but he remains very tired.

It appears that the majority of cases are being spread at home. The latest version of COVID-19 appears to be more easily transmitted. It rapidly spreads within the family once an unsuspecting member brings it into the house.

Getting young people to respect the seriousness of the disease seems to be the most difficult challenge. They forget about mom and dad, grandparents, and others and engage in risky behaviors. To be fair, nor all young people are treating the infection this way but it’s enough to continue the rapid spread of the disease.

If everyone does the right things with respect to PPE and avoiding large gatherings we will come out of this situation.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:54   #48

Boat: Catalina 350

If masks were the answer, the virus would be done!!

States that have strict isolation and mask mandates are the states that have the highest infection rates. Cannot be disputed.

Furthermore, what happened to my constitutional rights? The more testing that is done, the more cases that will be found. Cannot be disputed.

"They" have done such a good job in putting fear into the general public that the general public willingly allows "them" to take away more and more of my rights, I refuse to go along.

If you are so scared of catching something, then stay at your house. Do not attempt to put your values on me.

Sail On
Old 11-01-2021, 07:55   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid 19 Struggle: Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
What would you say about the UK response?
Chaotic at best..
Also some now admit, like flu this will turn out to be an annual vaccination.. Hey ho.!!!

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:59   #50

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Chaotic at best..
Also some now admit, like flu this will turn out to be an annual vaccination.. Hey ho.!!!
UNLIKE the flu, more people have died from COVID in the last 10 months than have died from flu in the last 10 years (Canada stats).

And that's not even counting the long-haul symptoms, etc.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:10   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid 19 Struggle: Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
UNLIKE the flu, more people have died from COVID in the last 10 months than have died from flu in the last 10 years (Canada stats).

And that's not even counting the long-haul symptoms, etc.
I'm talking about the vaccination..
Like the virus it's here to stay so forget the blurb about beating it.. they'll just be treading water like with the flu.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:27   #52

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish 2018 View Post

States that have strict isolation and mask mandates are the states that have the highest infection rates. Cannot be disputed.

Furthermore, what happened to my constitutional rights? The more testing that is done, the more cases that will be found. Cannot be disputed.

"They" have done such a good job in putting fear into the general public that the general public willingly allows "them" to take away more and more of my rights, I refuse to go along.

If you are so scared of catching something, then stay at your house. Do not attempt to put your values on me.

Sail On
=============================================

Your Liberty To Swing Your Fist Ends Just Where My Nose Begins

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
Old 11-01-2021, 08:28   #53

And CA has one of the strictest lockdowns in the US.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:32   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailngInTX View Post
In the two department I've worked with here in Texas, they both have protocols for "field termination". Not transporting adult cardiac arrest patients if they could not be resuscitated, has been going on for a long time.

The sad part is how the AFP pulled this everyday occurrence and used it to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt.
It's a valid point that if one didn't know how that paramedics were already often making such decisions in the field, that AP article would be more alarming than it really is. Nonetheless - the authorities seem to have stepped it up a bit, and the fact that they felt it necessary to re-affirm this policy at this time... definitely not an everyday occurrence.

That's one indicator; here's the big picture (with charts) for California.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:35   #55

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

It would help me understand your alternate reality if you tell me whether you also believe the last election was stolen.

Not only does the Covid situation in countries like Japan prove that masks and social distancing are effective, the reduction in normal flu cases this season is impossible to explain otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish 2018 View Post

Sail On
Old 11-01-2021, 08:36   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm talking about the vaccination..
Like the virus it's here to stay so forget the blurb about beating it.. they'll just be treading water like with the flu.

I can't remember the last time I had the flu; ditto for most of my elderly relatives. Yes we get the flu shot annually. If COVID can also be controlled like that (... maybe even as part of the annual flu shot formulation), that would be excellent . Bring it!
Old 11-01-2021, 09:43   #57
Marine Service Provider

Just curious, many are quick to say the US and UK response to covid was abysmal, but can anyone show me an example of a country of 300+ million generally free people who absolutely nailed it, got it so right that they can be held up as the model? I think this is far more difficult to blunt than many arm-chair experts, and agenda-driven journalists and politicians, realize.

At first I heard S. Korea got it right, until cases surged, then the same for Japan. Exclude small countries like Taiwan, I love Taiwan, but they are an island with a comparatively small homogenous population, one that can be isolated and can mobilize for an emergency in hours thanks to the constant threat of invasion, and their proximity to and experience with SARS. I was there in March when this started and again in August (with few exceptions, masks were not mandated at that time, there ware no limits on group sizes, and I remained in quarantine for 14 days upon arrival), and they have done an excellent job, but their model isn't applicable everywhere.

So again, and this is a serious question, not a political statement of any sort, what big, free country with a free exchange of information for verification, got this right? Which other countries have developed a viable vaccine that is now in use?
Old 11-01-2021, 10:23   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DAntonio View Post
So again, and this is a serious question, not a political statement of any sort, what big, free country with a free exchange of information for verification, got this right? Which other countries have developed a viable vaccine that is now in use?
Well, the vaccines have been a global effort, but of course the major western countries were instrumental in driving and funding development of the main vaccines that the west is now deploying. We often forget but there are other vaccines too (Russia, China and others), and ongoing investigations about using some of those in combination. Russia started distribution first, I believe

But to your main point...nobody nailed it. Perhaps Australia & New Zealand came closest, but their geographic isolation helped. I think everyone now agrees that "nailing it" would have consisted of swift and hard action right at the outset, to prevent initial spread as much as possible.

Since that didn't happen, the next benchmark is how well different countries are doing in managing spread, testing and tracking, and treatment... and some countries have done better than others. I think that the UK and US results are disappointing, considering their wealth and technical sophistication. My country (Canada) has had better numbers, but right now we're still sailing into a scary surge like many other countries, and not yet achieving the desired vaccination rate.

So yes, we all more or less sucked at this. We just have to persevere and keep the lid on as much as possible til vaccination is sufficient.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:00   #59

Boat: 42 GB

Sadly, arguing about the effectiveness of masks is very unproductive. They are not a panacea but are helpful in preventing the spread of the virus. Most families don’t mask at home yet this seems to be one of the places that the virus seems to spread at this time.

Consider this, the cost of housing is so high in Southern California that low income families often share homes. You may have over 10 people under the same roof. If one person brings it in then you may have nine more cases. This probably explains a good deal of the explosive growth In Covid-19 case there.

Typically, low density population areas have had the lowest infection rates. Unfortunately, those same areas tend to have the lowest rates of population wearing PPE. When that happens you see explosive growth as seen in North and South Dakota.

I’m not a COVID alarmist nor do I pretend it doesn’t exist. The truth lies in the middle but it is difficult to find because of the amount of politicizing that has gone on.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:11   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Distribution of the vaccine is a major problem in CA. As of right now even Tier 1A first line medical personnel are not getting vaccine. My Dentist and Doctor are still on a wait list with no indication when it will be available to them. I'm over 75 with a couple of co-morbidities, my wife is severely immune compromised yet we can find no information on how or where to get the vaccine when it becomes available or how to get on a list for notification when it's available. This while a significant number of tier 1A eligible are not electing to get vaccinated so their should be a surplus of the vaccine.

Tags
cal, california