Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 25-01-2022, 10:50   #4141

Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
I have clearly explained why I post covid info here on the Canadian covid thread (MO, svP, and LE crashed the other threads by posting insults).
That is, of course, a lie. But I don't take it as malicious, I just see our friend T-Up as so bound up in all of the conspiracy crap he wallows in, that it's too much to keep an accurate mental picture of what's gone before.

His first assertions back in 2020 about COVID - caused by 5G! . Get him riled up enough and he enlightens us about The Plandemic (it's all a deliberate plot!) . He still periodically accuses some of us of being paid propagandists - which is actually praise for our powers of persuasion, if you think about it. Gee, thanks.

Read T-Up's conspiracy posts and be amused. But engage at your peril.
Old 25-01-2022, 10:59   #4142

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Coast Murray View Post
Okay...I have a hair-brained conspiracy theory of my own.

Has anyone else noticed some of the recent wave of Covid/vaccine naysayers seem to have signed up in October of 2021 and join this discussion with less than 10 posts to their credit?

Hmmm...

Makes a guy wonder...

As Mike said yes, many of us have, thx for pointing it out.

It's almost like the anti-s have anew hobby: go infect helpful, meaningful discussions with their rubbish. Happening not only here.

Remember: they have little if any meaningful content and their only consistent theme is to create chaos.

Agent 69 would be aghast.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 25-01-2022, 11:11   #4143
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Case data is pretty much meaningless since Omicron overwhelmed our testing capacity. This was pointed out pages ago. The only reliable data right now comes from hospitalizations, ICU numbers, and analysis of waste water. Positivity rates are indicative, but again, since testing is no longer a reliable metric, this too is questionable.

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data

Here is the current Ontario hospitalization and ICU breakdown.

sv_pelagia just posted the current data presentation from the Ontario Science Table. All of this clearly and explicitly shows that vaccination is far superior than going unvaccinated -- assuming your intent is to stay healthy.
In ICU:
Unvaccinated cases-216
Partially vaccinated cases-17
Fully vaccinated cases-227

In Hospital but not ICU:
Unvaccinated cases-783
Partially vaccinated cases-194
Fully vaccinated cases-2079

It is not that clear nor explicit just from looking at these numbers. Looks closer to 77% vaxxed hospitalized (not the other way around). and I have serious questions as to how the recently injected cases are tallied. They get lumped into the unvaxxed category! Does this not greatly skew the statistics? Omicron was discovered in the vaccinated population and is more prevalent among the vaccinated (according to the official figures). Is it not possible that the vaxxed could maybe be a little more susceptible to it? Since testing never was a reliable metric, nor is probably a lot of this data we are presented with, and no one wants to examine the data sources, nor the science, what are you guys left with? Omicron. Take some D3, Zinc, vitamin C, and Quercetin supplements. If you get symptoms, take some ivermectin or Paxlovid. Or just do what you usually do for a common cold. They will be marketing boosters from here on out I am sure. Be sure to get yours on time or you will be considered unvaxxed.
Old 25-01-2022, 11:13   #4144

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
That is, of course, a lie. But I don't take it as malicious, I just see our friend T-Up as so bound up in all of the conspiracy crap he wallows in, that it's too much to keep an accurate mental picture of what's gone before.

His first assertions back in 2020 about COVID - caused by 5G! . Get him riled up enough and he enlightens us about The Plandemic (it's all a deliberate plot!) . He still periodically accuses some of us of being paid propagandists - which is actually praise for our powers of persuasion, if you think about it. Gee, thanks.

Read T-Up's conspiracy posts and be amused. But engage at your peril.
Please, let's not stoop to their level of discourse. Without them, this thread has been pretty erudite. Let's strive to keep it that way. If we feel the need to rant or respond in kind, ignore their posts, relax, and have another beer (Canadian of course!). I know I try to!

Have you heard the one about the American (Gawd I hate that term. We are all "american" from the North Pole to Cape Horn!) who ran into the nearest pavilion at Epcot Centre in a downpour and realized it was the British one - complete with pub? He went in and ordered a Budweiser. The server politely informed him that, as this was a British pub, they had no American beer. So he said, "Bring me the closest thing you have" and was served a glass of water?

All power to Bob and Doug MacKenzie and the Great White North!
Old 25-01-2022, 11:30   #4145

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Have you heard the one about the American (Gawd I hate that term. We are all "american" from the North Pole to Cape Horn!) who ran into the nearest pavilion at Epcot Centre in a downpour and realized it was the British one - complete with pub? He went in and ordered a Budweiser. The server politely informed him that, as this was a British pub, they had no American beer. So he said, "Bring me the closest thing you have" and was served a glass of water?

All power to Bob and Doug MacKenzie and the Great White North!
I assume it was soda water .

Actually, let's not be too smug about crap US beer. The biggest selling brands in Canada are all pretty much the same light-tasting (boring) lagers. From Molson Canadian to Labatts Blue, Alexander Keith's and Kokanee, it's all pretty much the same. And the last time I checked, Bud Light was Canada's #1 selling beer.
Old 25-01-2022, 11:39   #4146

Quote:
Actually, let's not be too smug about crap US beer.
I'm partial to Yuengling and Sam Adams US beers. And the first decent craft beers I ever had were in Marin County (north of Sanfran) in the early 90s
Old 25-01-2022, 11:47   #4147

Quote:
I assume it was soda water .

Actually, let's not be too smug about crap US beer. The biggest selling brands in Canada are all pretty much the same light-tasting (boring) lagers. From Molson Canadian to Labatts Blue, Alexander Keith's and Kokanee, it's all pretty much the same. And the last time I checked, Bud Light was Canada's #1 selling beer.

I know; but it's a fun story!
Old 25-01-2022, 11:49   #4148

Oh dear! As a poor benighted DP I thot for years that "mid-Atlantic piss" meant having a wee-wee while crossing The Pond. Took me years to clue in that it's a description of Carlsberg beer after it was "adapted" for marketing in the US :-)!

TP
Old 25-01-2022, 11:56   #4149

And don't ever tell your american friends that baseball is an evolution of the old English game "rounders", that American football was invented in Canada, and that basketball was invented by a Canadian - and the only reason soccer is not the most popular sport in the US (as it is in most of the world) is because of the different TV broadcast philosophy in the US compared to say, Britain and the BBC.
Old 25-01-2022, 12:25   #4150

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.

In my various travels through Canada, I've found it surprisingly hard to find a decent IPA to drink. Or any IPA for that matter.

Not sure why Canadian brewers don't produce any IPA, but they don't seem to?
Old 25-01-2022, 12:36   #4151

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_sailor View Post
In my various travels through Canada, I've found it surprisingly hard to find a decent IPA to drink. Or any IPA for that matter.

You gotta expand your search AK. There are hundreds, possibly thousands, of craft IPAs produced by Canadian breweries. It's my staple style.

Where are you looking? I'm sure we can help you find a decent brew.
Old 25-01-2022, 12:39   #4152

Quote:

I'm sure you know the origins of India Pale Ale:

When India was the "Jewel in the Crown" of the British Empire, the expats there thirsted for British beer.

As beer is pretty voluminous and therefore expensive to ship, an extra-strong ale was developed which could be shipped to India and diluted with local water to around 5% alcohol - thus reducing shipping costs considerably. Strong ales and the ever-popular Guiness Stout couldn't be so adapted - much to the disappointment of the expats.
Old 25-01-2022, 12:42   #4153

Quote:
You gotta expand your search AK. There are hundreds, possibly thousands, of craft IPAs produced by Canadian breweries. It's my staple style.

Once again I have distracted the Canadian Covid thread into greener (amberer?) pastures! Good fun!
Old 25-01-2022, 12:56   #4154

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.

Quote:

Could be my fault. My most recent travels up and down the Alcan have been during covid, so I was not doing a really extensive search, rather just what I found at the local stores.
Old 25-01-2022, 12:58   #4155

Quote:
Could be my fault. My most recent travels up and down the Alcan have been during covid, so I was not doing a really extensive search, rather just what I found at the local stores.
My experience is that it is not as available in pubs as are ales and lagers.