Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2021, 17:28   #16

Boat: Lightwave 45
Re: where to buy batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt View Post
Can someone help me with a supplier of quality Lithium batteries in Australia. I'm looking at 5 x 100ah.
Searching the web, I've found prices ranging from AUD$980 to $2000.
The batteries are for for "house power" on my yacht so should I be looking for something specific?
It is still early days of lithium batteries on boats. Many experts have just as many opinions about how to manage them. At the moment, I am viewing this from 2 angles.
Either
Buy the really expensive marine-style batteries, with lots of BMS and charging technology built in, which should last a long time (but may not), as the cruising community learns to live with them (many new theories popping up every day)
Or
Buy the much cheaper batteries (they all should have a BMS), usually used in domestic solar situations, and accepting that they *may* die earlier, but capital outlay is much less and replacements are likely by then to be much cheaper and have even greater capacity as technology develops.
I currently favour the latter option.
Whichever, make sure you have a method to overcome or manage the BMS shut-off that can change from 13v available to 0v available in an instant.
Tim
Karanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 16:18   #17

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: where to buy batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karanga View Post
It is still early days of lithium batteries on boats. Many experts have just as many opinions about how to manage them. At the moment, I am viewing this from 2 angles.
Either
Buy the really expensive marine-style batteries, with lots of BMS and charging technology built in, which should last a long time (but may not), as the cruising community learns to live with them (many new theories popping up every day)
Or
Buy the much cheaper batteries (they all should have a BMS), usually used in domestic solar situations, and accepting that they *may* die earlier, but capital outlay is much less and replacements are likely by then to be much cheaper and have even greater capacity as technology develops.
I currently favour the latter option.
Whichever, make sure you have a method to overcome or manage the BMS shut-off that can change from 13v available to 0v available in an instant.
Tim

Hi Tim,

or option 3 get raw cells and make your own battery.

No rocket sicence at all and if you can do engine maintenance on your boat you are able to put your own battery together.
doesn't matter if for domestic solar or boat its the same low and high voltage cutoff and its the same temp cutoff the BMS has to perform.
But if you make your own you decide how much money you invest in your BMS.

in 90% of the cases a drop in Lithium battery breaks its the 5$ low spec China BMS inside the sealed battery case and not the cells

4x 272AH Lishen cells and a 250A Daly BMS cost 600Euros for 272AH Liefpo4, well a AGM in the same size is not cheaper
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries