Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 28-08-2019, 06:06   #6781
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread for Those Using Them as House Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanC View Post
I think I can live with less cycle life.
Accepting that certainly allows for simpler design.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 19:43   #6782
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
thanks
I would just use a relay or dc breaker between the mppt & panels. One reason I thought the controller needs to be first connected to a battery before any solar is to get an idea of the voltage/state of battery. But now I think about it, that cant be true. It should just start charging when the sun shines.
I've been doing the same for years: disconnecting the PV panels with a relay from the MPPT controller when on shore power and the AC charger. Otherwise, my BlueSky MPPT controller will charge my lead-acid batteries to 14.4 volts every day - which is abusive. My LFP batteries have a separate charge cut-off and so would be unaffected.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 02:43   #6783

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
That **is** true, hook up the battery first, and disconnect it last.

Even if it isn't "dangerous" for a given SC.

Good habit, like always*removing jewelry, or removing the battery's negative before positive, and reconnect negative last.
Thanks john
JmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 02:45   #6784

I'm wondering how should a dropin be balanced in the real world using basic AC battery charger.

I first fully charged to my regular 14V until taper current 0 according to monitor. Then set absorb & float to 14.4V and charge rate low.

At 14.4 The current tapered down to about 1% of C within a few minutes, but terminal voltage was actually 14.5V according to DMM.
The cell voltages according to internal bms were 3.69, 3.67, 3.67, 3.52

Over 20 deep cycles this is my second attempt at top balance on this new battery & still the last cell is always lower. During flat curve underload they are all within 8-15mv, so is this low last cell anything to worry about?

I held for another 20mins until taper current was just under 0.5% of capacity but terminal voltage was now 14.7V, so I turned off charger and put a load on the battery.

Why the rise in voltage? Is it because they are already balanced?
JmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 02:49   #6785

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Surely since it's a drop-in you don't have access to the cells. You shouldn't need to balance them on first use as they should be well matched and balanced from the factory. All you can do is rely on the internal BMS
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 06:10   #6786
cruiser

That is the fatal flaw with drop ins, you must rely on their internal BMS, and lose the ability to balance manually.

Fantastic you can at least see the individual cell voltages to become aware of imbalance problems.

You should find out the "start balance" voltage, and if possible the "bleeding "balancing current rate mA.

Are these published? If not call and ask.

Since you have a user-adjustable charger, set it to 0.1V above that start balance voltage point, but nowhere near that 14.4/3.6Vpc, going that high is likely **causing** the cells to go out of balance.

Drop battery's SoC first by say 10A to reduce the risk of overcharging.

If you have control over the current rate, drop that down to 500mA (half an amp), or just at the same rate as the balancing current.

That is now the closest you can get to a "balancing protocol", let it sit there a long time, you should see the cell voltages (very slowly) converge, as the weaker / faster / higher cells trigger a stop-charge, are then bled by resistors at the (very slow) balance rate, then charge resumes, etc.

Inherent in that (common but IMO very stupid) balancing method, is that once cells are greatly out of balance, getting back to proper balance can literally take days.

Hopefully once that has been done, it will happen during the last few minutes of normal cycle usage charging as it is supposed to in theory.

You can help **prevent** getting too far out of balance by, while normal cycle usage charging,

stay at a healthier lower voltage setpoint, as low as possible just over the BMS' start-balance voltage.

Anything over 13.8V will get you to 100% Full, but likely that is too low for the BMS.

Basically, the profile "top goal" should be to stop as soon as the cells are balanced, keeping on pushing to any higher SoC serves no constructive purpose, only reduces lifespan and causes balance problems.

If you are concerned about a so-called "memory effect" then do go up to the mfg-spec stop-charge spec (14.4V) say once or twice a month, but don't worry about precise balancing at that higher point, just watch amps taper to 0.01C then stop.

Also, be aware that the BMS' "stop-bleed-balance" method may be causing you to think the tapering amps has dropped low enough, when in fact it will jump back up to 0.05C or above, after the bleeding cycle has finished.

Quote:
I'm wondering how should a dropin be balanced in the real world using basic AC battery charger.
Old 29-08-2019, 06:15   #6787
cruiser

If CC load discharge capacity testing is easy and convenient for you, then wait until you see **evidence** of a memory effect

before going back to higher-voltage charging, treat that as an only-if-needed maintenance protocol.
Old 29-08-2019, 07:26   #6788

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:

I first fully charged to my regular 14V until taper current 0 according to monitor. Then set absorb & float to 14.4V and charge rate low.

At 14.4 The current tapered down to about 1% of C within a few minutes, but terminal voltage was actually 14.5V according to DMM.
The cell voltages according to internal bms were 3.69, 3.67, 3.67, 3.52

Over 20 deep cycles this is my second attempt at top balance on this new battery & still the last cell is always lower. During flat curve underload they are all within 8-15mv, so is this low last cell anything to worry about?

I held for another 20mins until taper current was just under 0.5% of capacity but terminal voltage was now 14.7V, so I turned off charger and put a load on the battery.

Why the rise in voltage? Is it because they are already balanced?
They are designed to balance themselves when using standard chargers usually in GEL SMF configuration (it is the closest FLA profile setting to what LFP are able to survive long term) , absorption at 14.4... 14.6V and float at 13.6V, no recondition!!! .

The long float phase usually gives enough time at low current to keep the cells balanced using the internal BMS.

They are designed for this, and the life expectancy in the data sheet reflect this regime. Anything else is gambling, probably causing more harm than good getting them out of balance.

14.6V translates into 4 x 3.65V, the recommended end of charge voltage of the cell manufacturer equalling 100% SOC
LiFeYPO4 cells can stand up to 4.0V before getting damages, this is also the recommended voltage for initialization of fresh cells, so they are completely full and top balanced before building a battery.

They undergo this regime usually at the manufacturer or importer tquality check to validate capacity and inner resistance, customers usually get the cells already initialized, or the manufacturer puts a note to do the initialization prior first use along with the certificates and warranty. . .

12V packs are all pre-initialized and usually pre-charged when shipped, so normally ready to use.
Old 29-08-2019, 11:24   #6789

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
That is the fatal flaw with drop ins, you must rely on their internal BMS, and lose the ability to balance manually.

Fantastic you can at least see the individual cell voltages to become aware of imbalance problems.

You should find out the "start balance" voltage, and if possible the "bleeding "balancing current rate mA.

Are these published? If not call and ask.

Since you have a user-adjustable charger, set it to 0.1V above that start balance voltage point, but nowhere near that 14.4/3.6Vpc, going that high is likely **causing** the cells to go out of balance.

Drop battery's SoC first by say 10A to reduce the risk of overcharging.

If you have control over the current rate, drop that down to 500mA (half an amp), or just at the same rate as the balancing current.

That is now the closest you can get to a "balancing protocol", let it sit there a long time, you should see the cell voltages (very slowly) converge, as the weaker / faster / higher cells trigger a stop-charge, are then bled by resistors at the (very slow) balance rate, then charge resumes, etc.

Inherent in that (common but IMO very stupid) balancing method, is that once cells are greatly out of balance, getting back to proper balance can literally take days.

Hopefully once that has been done, it will happen during the last few minutes of normal cycle usage charging as it is supposed to in theory.

You can help **prevent** getting too far out of balance by, while normal cycle usage charging,

stay at a healthier lower voltage setpoint, as low as possible just over the BMS' start-balance voltage.

Anything over 13.8V will get you to 100% Full, but likely that is too low for the BMS.

Basically, the profile "top goal" should be to stop as soon as the cells are balanced, keeping on pushing to any higher SoC serves no constructive purpose, only reduces lifespan and causes balance problems.

If you are concerned about a so-called "memory effect" then do go up to the mfg-spec stop-charge spec (14.4V) say once or twice a month, but don't worry about precise balancing at that higher point, just watch amps taper to 0.01C then stop.

Also, be aware that the BMS' "stop-bleed-balance" method may be causing you to think the tapering amps has dropped low enough, when in fact it will jump back up to 0.05C or above, after the bleeding cycle has finished.
'Fatal flaw' sounds like you are suggesting they are going to die from this? Over dramatic perhaps?
Many of us agree that not being able to balance cells is not desirable.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 13:07   #6790
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
The long float phase usually gives enough time at low current to keep the cells balanced using the internal BMS.
I've yet to see a BMS with a start-balance voltage range that low.

Maybe expensive ones, but the internal ones in drop-ins are not that.
Old 29-08-2019, 13:18   #6791
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
I've yet to see a BMS with a start-balance voltage range that low.

Maybe expensive ones, but the internal ones in drop-ins are not that.
ok please post the technical of the internal bms in the drop ins that explicitly supports your statement .
Btw my bms by design balances constantly regardless of bank voltage . I only paid 10 bucks for it .
Old 29-08-2019, 13:42   #6792
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Well I just did a 30 second search on
https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop...cycle-battery/

Downloaded the spec sheet and the manual . Here are a couple screenshots .

Due diligence should be done prior to posting on a new to me subject .

Here is what they say concerning the bms and cell balancing
Old 30-08-2019, 02:10   #6793

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Well I just did a 30 second search on
https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop...cycle-battery/

Downloaded the spec sheet and the manual . Here are a couple screenshots .

Due diligence should be done prior to posting on a new to me subject .

Here is what they say concerning the bms and cell balancing
That is true. Cheap passive balancer usually start balancing around 3.55V, this is to prevent self discharge when resting, balancing works only near the shoulders because below 80%SOC the voltage differences on cells with different SOC are marginal. Cheap passive balancer simply kick in at the starting voltage and burn energy with increasing voltage, the maximum nominal current e.g. 1A is reached at 3.8V
It is like a Zener diode and a resistor in series, the resistor needs to burn 0.3V at 1A, making it 0.3Ohm 0.5W or 1W, small enough for a cell module and not heating up too much.
They burn the energy independently of each other, no logic necessary. A cell having a higher voltage simply burns more power over the resistor than a cell with lower voltage, causing less current to be stored. Over time the cells are balanced and stay balanced, all 4 balancers burn the same energy at absorption and no energy at float. Dead simple.

OVP /LVP is simple too, the signals are created at the cell and daisy chained, if the cells are in operating range, the signals are passed through, if one cell is outside, the chain is open. This allows to built up large blocks in series for any desired pack voltage, the signal voltage is not related to the pack voltage, usually this are open collector or open drain transistors, opto couplers or the like, the chain is powered by the external logic, one side of the chain usually is connected to ground.

To combine the busses for drop in batteries you can daisy chain ovp and lvp at the cell level or the pack level, you loose the an indicator to the cause of an exception.
Old 30-08-2019, 20:11   #6794

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Anyone heard anything about these?
Seems about half the price of other brands in Australia

240ah 12v lifeP04 deep cycle lithium battery
$1295

https://www.ecocommercial.com.au/240...thium-battery/
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 16:16   #6795

Boat: Leopard 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Anyone heard anything about these?
Seems about half the price of other brands in Australia

240ah 12v lifeP04 deep cycle lithium battery
$1295

https://www.ecocommercial.com.au/240...thium-battery/
I had a look at them but with a 50A bms I would need a lot to run a decent load on the inverter.
Some alternative drop ins for a few dollars more at least have a better current rating.
New solarking 200ah is prismatic cells, but pretty light with a 100amp bms for $1400 https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-12V-...QAAOSwNe9dSQMw

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LiFePO4-...-/253556426388

or
https://www.amptron.com.au/12v-200ah...4-battery.html

I think I wilil go with EV Power Australia with GBS cells and bms with 500A relay. Cost is slightly higher but they have a good reputation.
swampbush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, grass, lifepo4, LiFePO4 Batteries, sailing