Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 27-04-2019, 17:17   #6376
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread for Those Using Them as House Banks

Pretty sure same design as the ones sold under a dozen labels over a decade ago.

Sure, as I said, I'm sure, fine, like a good diner meatloaf. And very affordable, which can be critical for some.

Just don't claim it's filet mignon, and the youtuber flogging them isn't getting comp'd.

For me, if a Victron 15A meets my needs and costs less than ordering the steak would, that's worth it just for the feature set, design, integration, build quality, 5-year warranty. . .

Even without extracting the extra x% per panel.

Edit: Just realized we're polluting this lovely valuable LFP thread, so sorry I'll stop now.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 19:24   #6377

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Just found these while looking on another forum regarding hot water systems off grid.

Without wading through 426 pages are these something that could be worth looking at?

Quote:
BYD B-Box LV 5.12kWh battery module $4,512.48

BYD B-Box is a lithium iron phosphate battery pack with battery management system (BMS) for use with an external inverter or charge controller.

https://www.queenslandsolarandlighti...tery-module-2/
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 19:28   #6378
cruiser

worth investigating sure

if they won't reveal who makes the internal cells IMO walk away
Old 27-04-2019, 19:57   #6379
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
IMO walk away
this seems to be your opinion concerning any that are not Winston/Thundersky, CALB, GBS, A123 or Sinopoly . You ought to pick up a cheap set and make a bank to play with ( read test with)
Old 27-04-2019, 19:59   #6380
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Just found these while looking on another forum regarding hot water systems off grid.

Without wading through 426 pages are these something that could be worth looking at?
would like more info but for the price its not to bad. Ask them for a tech sheet on the bank.
Old 27-04-2019, 22:47   #6381

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
I would never trust someone trying to monetize their online community "contributions".

Sure stuff like that is cheap, and for some that is important.

Yes a bit of a step up from scraping the bottom of the Ali/eBay/Amazon marketplace cheap-chinese barrels, good enough for most

But don't try to say it's actually good quality like Victron, Outback, Morningstar, Midnight. . .
Yes good point.
I agree take all of this with a grain of salt.
But hes certainly giving a lot of clues you can verify yourself.
Ok now we know your view on his view, whats your view on this gear?
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 22:57   #6382

Quote:
worth investigating sure

if they won't reveal who makes the internal cells IMO walk away
Most of the other engineered-pack providers, including ones you have chosen to endorse in the past, will reveal the inner details of their supply chain, either. There are a bunch of reasons they choose to do that.
nebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 22:57   #6383

Quote:
I would never trust someone trying to monetize their online community "contributions".

Yes a bit of a step up from scraping the bottom of the Ali/eBay/Amazon marketplace cheap-chinese barrels, good enough for most

But don't try to say it's actually good quality like Victron, Outback, Morningstar, Midnight. . .
I dont think he did say anything like that.

I also know a lot of people dont put much faith in peoples opinions with no actual real practical experience.

But here we are.
Old 27-04-2019, 23:03   #6384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
I also know a lot of people dont put much faith in peoples opinions with no actual real practical experience.
Bingo. One of the things I like about this YT guy ("kid?") is that he is actually sourcing the gear and attempting to test things. It's a notch down from actually using something in real-world production, but miles/kilometers better than just sitting around typing on the internet.

It would be best if he disclosed any business relationships he has, but on the other hand, obtaining a small sales commission through Amazon or a paltry amount of ad revenue seem like pretty reasonable compensation for what is no-doubt time-consuming work.
nebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 23:09   #6385

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:

Nope
We have 880ah of 24v agm which equates to 21.12 kWh of storage so say various online calculators.
We'd need 4 of these and a bank to rob.
Even with the off touted claim of half size bank for lp4 we'd still be more than twice as expensive as agm.

But apparently the brand rates well in this test

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/...esting-update/
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 23:49   #6386

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
Bingo. One of the things I like about this YT guy ("kid?") is that he is actually sourcing the gear and attempting to test things. It's a notch down from actually using something in real-world production, but miles/kilometers better than just sitting around typing on the internet.

It would be best if he disclosed any business relationships he has, but on the other hand, obtaining a small sales commission through Amazon or a paltry amount of ad revenue seem like pretty reasonable compensation for what is no-doubt time-consuming work.
Yes agreed. He also obviously gets a small kick back from his Amazon affiliate links.

Yes it obviously easy to knock anyone in the public domain but he obviously put some effort into creating this stuff.

Not to mention he pony's up with his own cash to buy these devices.

As he said at the start of this vid he asked some of the vendors and they all told him to 'do one' they dont like his comparison vids. They all wanted a their product only review.
Old 28-04-2019, 00:06   #6387
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Nope
We have 880ah of 24v agm which equates to 21.12 kWh of storage so say various online calculators.
We'd need 4 of these and a bank to rob.
Even with the off touted claim of half size bank for lp4 we'd still be more than twice as expensive as agm.

But apparently the brand rates well in this test

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/...esting-update/
just one thing to think about these units are 48 volts units so 50 volt nominal.
The 10.24 kwh unit would be close to comparable at 20.5 kwh at 24 volt and 80% usable means it would actually provide more usable power. But at just over $8k aus ($5,600 USD ) its not cheap.
Old 28-04-2019, 02:13   #6388

Boat: Home made 15 foot sailing dinghy used for coastal and cross channel cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
you are in luck . The manufacturer of the outboard already figured all of that out. Just hook up the positive and negative wires for the outboard to your battery as normal. It will all work just fine.

As to possible damage if the bms were to disconnect it would not harm the alternator setup on the outboard. .

One word of advice don't expect the outboard to actually provide any useful charging for your house bank. The outboard will put out at best 9 amps.( the biggest optional setup I have seen for a sub 15 hp outboard.)
it is designed primarily to just provide charging to.recharge from starting the motor and running a small fishfinder.

I would like to believe you, but..... The LFP system, assuming it is set up according to the instructions in the 123Electric BMS manual, has separate charge and discharge connections. An outboard motor discharges the battery while the starter motor is running but (very slowly) charges the battery most of the rest of the time, so which connection to the LFP system should I use?

As for disconnection of the battery by the BMS not harming the alternator on the outboard, the manual for the outboard does say that the outboard should never be run without being connected to a battery, but maybe they are just being over-cautious? And the Sterling Power technical guy did say that the Sterling alternator protection device would *probably* avoid alternator damage so that seems worth considering, the cost of that gadget is trivial if set against the total cost of an LFP setup.
dinghysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 02:28   #6389

Quote:

Sceptisim is good.

So when you say you dont trust what this guy is saying because he monatzes their online contributions.

Can you be more specific which of his comments you believe are non factual, incorrect etc to validate your mistrust?

Also can you tell us who you do trust?
Commercial producers?
Posts on online forums?
Perhaps professional maintenance people or vendors that do a lot of testing monetizeing promoting their business trying to survive?

Sounds like some 'predudices' and opinions. You know what they say about opinions right? They are like rear ends, everyone has them, and they mostly stink.
Old 28-04-2019, 02:48   #6390
cruiser

I've had extensive discussions with him in other forums where he came in spouting as an expert then when his ignorance was exposed

realized wasn't doing "his brand" much good

and left in a huff.

The need to maintain an image getting in the way of his own learning.

Anyway I'm sure there are things in there of value, I can't stand sitting through video full stop myself, give me a written summary or even a transcript and I'll extract the info in 1/10the time.

Different strokes. . .

Tags
battery, grass, lifepo4, LiFePO4 Batteries, sailing