Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2021, 13:38   #61

Boat: Alubat, Cigale 16, 53’
Re: KISS Ocean Passage Lithium Setup

DDabs, there are obviously a lot of choices with this. I am doing a major reengineering of the electrical system, in part due to adding major 24 volt equipment - bow thruster, windlass and two Andersen 72 powered winches. This allowed me to build the 24 volt system from scratch with new equipment. I now have all the major components, and will be assembling them shortly out of the boat. These include 8 Winston 400 AH cells for a 24V 400 AH single battery. I'm keeping 2 Group 31 batteries for the 12V engine starting, etc. BMS is from TAO Performance. After investigating other BMS, I think this is the right one for me. Balmar 70 Amp (140 equivalent in 12V) alternator, Balmar 624 H external regulator, Sterling alternator protector, Mastervolt Combimaster 24/3000W inverter/charger, 2 Mastershunts (1 Master, 1 slaved), 2 Victron 24V-12V Dc to Dc converters, Primus 24V wind generator, original Primus 12V wind generator, 3 legacy 65 watt solar panels, and probably a couple larger panels whenever we get to designing a new radar arch. I'll be taking Nigel Calder's 2 day Marine Electrical System class at Annapolis in October, so, hopefully I'll get some good answers to few question! Cheers
Dr.No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 13:46   #62

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Dr.No, that sounds awesome! I have debated going the 24V route, since I will be taking the boat to Europe. However I have too many 12V smaller systems that would need replacing- it probably wouldn't be economically feasible for me to make the switch. I love the sound of your setup for your Alubat- sounds simplistic! How do you like the Primus wind generators? Which model do you have? I have been looking at Silentwind and Superwinds. Could you post a pic of your boat?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 14:00   #63

Boat: Alubat, Cigale 16, 53’

The Silentwind Pro 24V is still in the box, as is all the other new electrical equipment, and the Primus was removed when the boat was made ready for trucking from Portsmith, RI to Pensacola. Leeja is undergoing a pretty major refit with some plating replaced, 2 full width aluminum watertight bulkheads with custom doors from Freeman Marine, and a redesign of the forward 40% of the interior. She is crazily over budget, over schedule! Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA4D186B-697C-4EC4-9398-03A70B146CA1.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	242606   Click image for larger version

Name:	03F33E59-E840-464A-8E8C-3F7AAC2DF7DB.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	242607  

Dr.No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 15:08   #64

Boat: GULFSTAR 53 MOTORSAILER

I have five solar panels with 1460 watts. I have a D400 wind generator. My refrigeration and autopilot use more energy than they put out. I have 22 golf cart batteries and still have to run the generator every three to four days on an extended cruise.
MAJICDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 16:03   #65

What are you storing, dead bodies in the freezer?
Old 23-07-2021, 16:05   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
The Silentwind Pro 24V is still in the box, as is all the other new electrical equipment, and the Primus was removed when the boat was made ready for trucking from Portsmith, RI to Pensacola. Leeja is undergoing a pretty major refit with some plating replaced, 2 full width aluminum watertight bulkheads with custom doors from Freeman Marine, and a redesign of the forward 40% of the interior. She is crazily over budget, over schedule! Cheers!
Wow beautiful vessel! I can already see her shining, fully rigged.
Old 24-07-2021, 02:06   #67

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
DDabs, there are obviously a lot of choices with this. I am doing a major reengineering of the electrical system, in part due to adding major 24 volt equipment - bow thruster, windlass and two Andersen 72 powered winches. This allowed me to build the 24 volt system from scratch with new equipment. I now have all the major components, and will be assembling them shortly out of the boat. These include 8 Winston 400 AH cells for a 24V 400 AH single battery. I'm keeping 2 Group 31 batteries for the 12V engine starting, etc. BMS is from TAO Performance. After investigating other BMS, I think this is the right one for me. Balmar 70 Amp (140 equivalent in 12V) alternator, Balmar 624 H external regulator, Sterling alternator protector, Mastervolt Combimaster 24/3000W inverter/charger, 2 Mastershunts (1 Master, 1 slaved), 2 Victron 24V-12V Dc to Dc converters, Primus 24V wind generator, original Primus 12V wind generator, 3 legacy 65 watt solar panels, and probably a couple larger panels whenever we get to designing a new radar arch. I'll be taking Nigel Calder's 2 day Marine Electrical System class at Annapolis in October, so, hopefully I'll get some good answers to few question! Cheers

I second the choice of the TAO BMS - check out https://www.taoperf.com/ for reasons why. It has been designed by a live aboard sailor for cruising boats as a primary use case.

We installed one with our LFP install and it is definitely several steps ahead of pretty much every other BMS out there. One of the key features is its simulation mode, where you can set cell voltages and/or temperatures to whatever value you want to test your relays. You can of course change the configuration to test, but then you have to remember to change everything back. Simulation mode means it’s simple to test multiple triggers without changing your configuration.

There is absolutely no need for a BMS to carry or pass current - that’s the job of the shunt. The TAO BMS has its own shunt board (which can be mounted on an existing shunt - what we did - or it can have its own shunt) as well as voltage and temperature sense connections to each of the cells. Cell-level monitoring is necessary if you want cell voltage balancing and triggers based on cell voltage or temperature differences.

6 relays can be used to control charge and discharge components for warnings and high or low voltage or temperature cut offs. Sure, set your charge profiles carefully (a blanket 14.0V or 14.2V is pretty high for best longevity of your batteries) but also have the protection of cut offs if required. We also have two large contactors with relays that will cut off the charge and discharge buses as a last resort.

You can also connect the TAO BMS via its monitor using CAN-bus to Victron Energy equipment (Cerbo or equivalent gateway).
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 07:05   #68

I can tell that you must spend most of your time tied up to a dock.
The only time that I have been to a dock in the last ten years was for fuel.
I usually cruise 6-8000 miles a year.
I have to make sure that I have battery power no matter the weather.
My biggest power drain is my auto pilot.
I run about 12 days off shore to the Virgin Islands every year. The solar and wind generator can not keep up. This is the real world of cruising. You always need double of everything to be safe.
Old 25-07-2021, 07:45   #69

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJICDAN View Post
I can tell that you must spend most of your time tied up to a dock.
The only time that I have been to a dock in the last ten years was for fuel.
I usually cruise 6-8000 miles a year.
I have to make sure that I have battery power no matter the weather.
My biggest power drain is my auto pilot.
I run about 12 days off shore to the Virgin Islands every year. The solar and wind generator can not keep up. This is the real world of cruising. You always need double of everything to be safe.
So you have 2 engines?
2 masts?
2 hulls? That’s right you have a Gulfstar monohull. So you really aren’t safe.

You must be overstating how much you are underway yearly because anybody that was underway as much as you claim would realize that there a lot more ways to do things.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 09:30   #70

Yes.Osiris has been around the world twice. Osiris has been sailed through hurricane winds with 15-20 ft waves. Two masts. Double hulled. Generator is backup to hydraulically turn prop to backup engine and bow thruster. Two jib stays All standing rigging one size up.. Double main back stays. Double mizzen backstaysy. Two dingy and two outboards. Spare Perkins starter, twospare coolant heat exchangers, two spare oil heat exchanger, two spare coolant pumps, four spare raw water pumps, one spare Perkins head, two spare exhaust manifolds, spare Perkins water pump">raw water pump gear drive, spare Perkins bearings and rebuild set, two spare Perkins alternators, Two spare shaft couplings, spare prop shaft, two spare propeller, spare rudder, and many many spare nuts bolts screws bilge pumps tacit and final fiel filters, 15 spare oil filters, 15 gall engine oil, transmission rebuild kit, transmission oil, and tools to complete all of those problems. There are too many spare parts and tools to mention.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:37   #71

Rough layout of the finalized system:

-2 victron 200ah
-victron bms
-victron cerbo
-victron touch gx 50
-victron multiplus 12/3000
-victron smartshunt
-victron multi control unit for remote multiplus control
Old 06-08-2021, 10:45   #72
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Nice

How are you implementing high and low voltage cutoff ?

Also if you trip LVC are all small current draws disabled or is this done in the smart batteries , as I understand it the Victron batteries generate a LVC signal but don’t contain any disconnect hardware ?
Old 06-08-2021, 10:50   #73

Pretty sure both of those things are done using the BMS programming on the Cerbo and App.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:04   #74
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Pretty sure both of those things are done using the BMS programming on the Cerbo and App.
I know the victron bms can operate relays etc. But I see no LVC or Hvc disconnect signalling
Old 06-08-2021, 12:15   #75

The Victron Batteryprotects do this

Tags
lithium, passage