Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2022, 18:00   #1

Boat: Hudson Force 50, 51'
Inverter recommendations

Hey all, looking for some recommendations for a high quality inverter charger. trying to figure our what my options are. Can I get a good inverter that can handle solar, wind, and generator input? Im pretty ignorant of modern tech as I haven't cruised in over a decade. My boat has nothing in terms of charging and I intend to go pretty deep and with high quality systems, as I want to be more comfortable this time around. Ill need to handle fridge, freezer, watermaker (maybe), and occasional AC.
thanks guys.
captianjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:24   #2

Re: Inverter recommendations

Hi
I'm using a Victron Multiplus 3000w charger/inverter and qty 2 of Victron MPPT 100/30 solar controllers.

The above, along with 4 tanks and REC ABMS lithium BMS, is monitored via a Victron CCGX.

Have had it operating for a year now and have been happy with the performance of the Victron gear.
regards
Bob
Bobakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:54   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

A starting point question is whether you need a true sine wave inverter or a modified sine wave will do. In a true sine wave, which will cost a bunch more, the voltage created is a smooth sinusoidal curve. In a modified sine curve inverter, it's actually a square wave in steps. Some electronics, notably our on-board microwave oven, do not like modified sine waves. I have not noticed anything else on the boat having this problem, including motors, LED lights, and instruments.

Then proceed to having the ability to handle start-up amperage for items such as your refrigerator compressor.
Old 11-05-2022, 16:45   #4

def going true sine. I intent to get lithium when current bank dies.
Old 11-05-2022, 17:20   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by captianjuan View Post
def going true sine. I intent to get lithium when current bank dies.
Make sure your alternator and charger can be programmed for lithium batteries.
Old 11-05-2022, 17:39   #6

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I like the xantrex 3000 Freedom pro.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 17:44   #7

did not know about that! how does that work with regards to alternator?
Old 11-05-2022, 17:53   #8

I second the Victron equipment. Excellent and covers just about anything you can imagine wanting to connect. If you use Victron Litihium batteries in the future, their internal BMS will work in conjunction with the alternator to avoid damage. You may also wish to look at a Wakespeed 500 voltage regulator which will integrate with the Victron.

I researched this for months and installed all Victron (Multiplus, etc) however I decided to stay away from LifePo4 batteries. Others will argue this but I do not feel they are a safe choice for me.
zigzag930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 14:42   #9

Boat: Ericson 27

Another vote for Victron here. Great equipment, good price/performance ratio on the gear, and it integrates nicely. I’m running a victron 2000w multiplus, a victron MPPT, and a Cerbo GX. Because of their open architecture, that integrates with my DIY LiFePO4 battery (REC BMS), and alternator regulator (Wakespeed WS500). It also talks to my NMEA2000 bus, so I can see things on my instrumentation.

The cerbo, though, is a very cool piece of kit. It also monitors my tanks (fuel, water, sewage, and bilge), is a bilgepump counter, and best of all is all remotely monitorable, so I can keep an eye on the boat while away.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 17:07   #10

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I like the xantrex 3000 Freedom pro.
I know you don't know me from jack, but listen carefully now - DO NOT GET A XANTREX FREEDOM. My experience was that they no longer make quality gear. I now have a Victron MP2 3000 and I am like a pig in **** (I love it).

*Note: I had a SW3012 not the new "Pro" which I know nothing about, except it is made by the same company which made the SW3012.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 17:24   #11

Boat: Alberg 35

Second vote for not getting Xantrex gear. I had one of their chargers fail, also an inverter.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 20:53   #12

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Hey all, looking for some recommendations for a high quality inverter charger. trying to figure our what my options are. Can I get a good inverter that can handle solar, wind, and generator input? Im pretty ignorant of modern tech as I haven't cruised in over a decade. My boat has nothing in terms of charging and I intend to go pretty deep and with high quality systems, as I want to be more comfortable this time around. Ill need to handle fridge, freezer, watermaker (maybe), and occasional AC.
thanks guys.
Your location or boat voltage please, means 110 US or 230V Europe. 12 or 24V system, how big is your current bank, AGMs? How big Lithium bank?
How many watts, how many charge amps, budget and what do you wanna do with the inverter eg electric galley?
Experience recommends get the biggest inverter you can afford....inverter ran at max 70% live much longer then on 95 and sometimes 120%....they also derate the hoter it gets.
Then we can help you best.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 13:10   #13

U.S. (Hawaii) 110. 12v system. don't have the lithium yet. im in the research phase. trying to figure out how many ah's I need and how to rig solar. I intend to go big. I would rather grow into the system than outgrow it. gearing up for long term world crusing and we intend to be comfortable and enjoy the luxuries modern tech affords. I've done it with nothing but a hand held GPS. Now im an engineer. I intend on going big on the electrical stuff. I want to run water maker, AC, wash machine, fridge, freezer, possible induction stove for if the world shuts down again, but that's down the road, I want to be able to handle the load. obviously I don't need to run AC, water maker and stove all at the same time. But need to. be able to handle two of those.
Old 14-05-2022, 13:34   #14

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
U.S. (Hawaii) 110. 12v system. don't have the lithium yet. im in the research phase. trying to figure out how many ah's I need and how to rig solar. I intend to go big. I would rather grow into the system than outgrow it. gearing up for long term world crusing and we intend to be comfortable and enjoy the luxuries modern tech affords. I've done it with nothing but a hand held GPS. Now im an engineer. I intend on going big on the electrical stuff. I want to run water maker, AC, wash machine, fridge, freezer, possible induction stove for if the world shuts down again, but that's down the road, I want to be able to handle the load. obviously I don't need to run AC, water maker and stove all at the same time. But need to. be able to handle two of those.
Then the answer is easy, all electronics Victron
24 V system with 8x700AH Winston cells,
Tao BMS, Rec or Batrium BMS
1500-2000W Bifacial solar panels LG, Benq, Panasonic, sunpower orkmy secret tip Longi panel with Victron MPPT
Victron Multiplus or Quattro inverter/charger either the 24/8000W or 2x5000W or 3x3000W.

2nd charge source after solar if cat per engine as big alternator as you can fit, if mono better a generator. Solar will be enough most of time but with AC it won't.
Factor 15-20K if you can do it by yourself.
You can start with 8x400AH and 1x 5000W multi and ten add a 2nd identical set. I would prefer 8x700AH right away, no prallel cills and BMS sees every cell. Wanna save use 304AH Eve cells.
Watermaker if till 100l 12V, above is a 110V or consider an engine driven one.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 13:40   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

+1 for Victron Only thing that survived a direct lightning strike !

Tags
inverter, men