Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2023, 14:26   #46

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: BMS warming light and buzzer before disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Contradictory comment

I guess I should have been more clear - we are UK-registered but were living in NZ and now cruising in Australia. Our insurance is from the UK and has a single statement for lithium batteries regarding following manufacturer specifications and no mentions of installation or standards nor anything else.

However, locally registered boats in NZ and AUS have to use local insurers, and they all seem to require professional installation and compliance with the local electrical codes. Those codes are so difficult to apply on a small pleasure boat that electricians are (anecdotally) not willing to take on LFP install jobs. I’m not sure if DIY installs that predate these requirements are grandfathered or not.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:06   #47

So which is the best Buzzer for this task? any suggestions as I'm always in search of more friendly sounding buzzers.
I'm not so interested in the warming light solutions though as these lights always use too many amps for me.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 10:19   #48

Victron energy bms will offer both the audible and visual alarm.
KennyC415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 10:24   #49

Victron Energy Lynx Smart BMS will offer both the audible and visual alarm.
KennyC415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 12:11   #50

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
I'm not so interested in the warming light solutions though as these lights always use too many amps for me.
Good lord
How many amps does a warning light use?
Does it even register?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 12:25   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Good lord
How many amps does a warning light use?
Does it even register?
Sure does, if you look closely it’s a warming light and my experience with these is that they are using amps!
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 12:37   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Sure does, if you look closely it’s a warming light and my experience with these is that they are using amps!
Yeah, but unless your 12v battery bank is made from 8x AAA batteries it isn't going to make any difference.

And, if you had a decent battery bank, warning lights or alarms won't be coming on.
All that power saved (-;
Old 11-10-2023, 13:55   #53

Here's how much an LED Warning light draws.

Quote:
Lamp draws 0.015 amps (15ma) at 12volts DC.
https://www.steinair.com/product/red...tor-light-12v/
Old 11-10-2023, 14:03   #54

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Irony that this same requirement does NOT apply to any other battery type!
Old 12-10-2023, 12:37   #55

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

I comply with this in the following way:
At 30% the allways on inverter is switched off, already this makes noise as my inverter/microwave oven beeps when this happens.
At 3.0v everything expect of anchor whinch and starter is shut off. Navigation+ navigation lights, bilge pumps and autopilot run of a 30AH buffer LTO thats also seperated by a galvanic isolated Victron Dc2DC converter which disconnects this circuit in case of any event like LVC, disaster...
You cannot miss that anywhere on the cat but still everything works thats needed.
Then whinch and starter can be manually switched to LTO to completely isolate the house if needed. Both only draw power if operated activly so its no problem if they are still connected. If they are the cause of an issue a breaker disconnects them.
But if i have the choice between crashing into rocks or get the last bit of anchor up and operate the LFP below 2.5V i choose to ruin/drain the cells, nothing happens as long as i don't try to charge them when they are eg at 1,5V which the BMS protects. As everything is off i realize that i operates them below 3V and have at nav and helmstation the cell voltages of the bank. And between 3 and 2.5V with a 1088AH bank i can easly start the engine 50x or get 50m of chain up...
And then there is still 80AH LTO reserve in the other hull...
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 14:21   #56

Boat: Jeanneau 349

So what are people doing in this situation? I want to do an install but have space issues in installing a system. I went through my policy and it doesn’t mention anything ABYC related (USA Progressive). Seems like a silly requirement.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 16:08   #57

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
So what are people doing in this situation? I want to do an install but have space issues in installing a system. I went through my policy and it doesn’t mention anything ABYC related (USA Progressive). Seems like a silly requirement.
Look at Jedis references diagrams, they comply with ABEY standards. You don't have to reinvent the wheel everytime. If you have space issue install a hybrid bank for start and house and use winston cells, LCV cut off at 3.0V and you always have enough capacity in the bank to start your engine.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 19:10   #58

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
I have gone through my boatus/geico policy and found no mention of abyc or lithium. I have also carefully read the exclusions, and there is no general prohibitions that might be somehow applied.

There is a lot of mention on this forum about how insurance companies are going high and right. But I have never seen anyone post specific language, or exactly how it is prohibited.

Your policy sounds similar to mine (ie, no prohibition). Do a good job, comply with abyc where you can (and especially on those parts that are more important) and sleep well at night.

As you look at the abyc requirements, look carefully at recommendations versus requirements. A lot of the stuff that is hard to comply with isn't actually a requirement. Audio visual alarms are an example of a recommendation and not a requirement.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2023, 00:16   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
I have gone through my boatus/geico policy and found no mention of abyc or lithium. I have also carefully read the exclusions, and there is no general prohibitions that might be somehow applied.

There is a lot of mention on this forum about how insurance companies are going high and right. But I have never seen anyone post specific language, or exactly how it is prohibited.

Your policy sounds similar to mine (ie, no prohibition). Do a good job, comply with abyc where you can (and especially on those parts that are more important) and sleep well at night.

As you look at the abyc requirements, look carefully at recommendations versus requirements. A lot of the stuff that is hard to comply with isn't actually a requirement. Audio visual alarms are an example of a recommendation and not a requirement.
Thanks. I would like to use the below battery (well, 4 of them) plus an AGM start battery and I believe the only issue I would face is the disconnect issue which is good to know is a recommendation. While I could do this myself, I will likely hire someone to do the installation of the Balmar 618 smart alternator and Victron inverter as every boat project I have done myself, I have always wished that I just used a contractor considering the amount of time it takes me.

https://www.amazon.com/Litime-LiFePO...1zcF9hdGY&th=1
Old 13-10-2023, 00:18   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Look at Jedis references diagrams, they comply with ABEY standards. You don't have to reinvent the wheel everytime. If you have space issue install a hybrid bank for start and house and use winston cells, LCV cut off at 3.0V and you always have enough capacity in the bank to start your engine.
Got a link? There are a ton of LIFEPO4 posts here and I believe he has posted a fair amount of them so a bit hard to find.