Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2023, 01:00   #61

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: BMS warming light and buzzer before disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
I have gone through my boatus/geico policy and found no mention of abyc or lithium. I have also carefully read the exclusions, and there is no general prohibitions that might be somehow applied.

There is a lot of mention on this forum about how insurance companies are going high and right. But I have never seen anyone post specific language, or exactly how it is prohibited.

Your policy sounds similar to mine (ie, no prohibition). Do a good job, comply with abyc where you can (and especially on those parts that are more important) and sleep well at night.

As you look at the abyc requirements, look carefully at recommendations versus requirements. A lot of the stuff that is hard to comply with isn't actually a requirement. Audio visual alarms are an example of a recommendation and not a requirement.
Be careful, normally the policy states if you do substantial repairs or installs you have to notify the insurance about that. I did about LFP install and then insurance wanted to see installer bill or if DIY a surveyor checks the install. Well done that in combo with final check of my wave slam damage. He noted that using it as hybrid starter and house but windlass and starter stays connected and is not shut off via BMS in 3.0V LCV is not in line with ISO but it makes sense not to comply as it won't cause issue/is safe the way i done it (both must have a breaker then in case they are the issue and disconnect) but could rescue the vessel in an emergency situation.
He was happy with it and approved, so did my insurance.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2023, 01:11   #62

Double post
Old 13-10-2023, 04:47   #63

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Be careful, normally the policy states if you do substantial repairs or installs you have to notify the insurance about that.
I don't see a reference to that in my policy, but that does raise significant questions. My lfp upgrade will cost about $2,000.
A new mainsail will cost about $8,000.
A new bottom paint job will cost about $3,000.
The diesel fired heating system I installed cost about $1,500.
Replacing all standing rigging would be a few thousand dollars.
Replacing my existing AGM with new AGM would be about $3,000.
Hey buddy with an identical boat just had his mast removed, completely stripped of all hardware, all paint removed, and repainted for over $10,000 (in Mexico -- far more expensive in the US!)
Adding a second alternator could cost $1-2K
A serious question would be, which of the above boat projects would be considered a substantial repair or upgrade, which ones would not, and why?
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2023, 04:58   #64

I just completed a Victron Energy system install for a customer here in South Louisiana.

I love how user friendly the entire Victron experience is.
KennyC415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2023, 06:51   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
I don't see a reference to that in my policy, but that does raise significant questions. My lfp upgrade will cost about $2,000.
A new mainsail will cost about $8,000.
A new bottom paint job will cost about $3,000.
The diesel fired heating system I installed cost about $1,500.
Replacing all standing rigging would be a few thousand dollars.
Replacing my existing AGM with new AGM would be about $3,000.
Hey buddy with an identical boat just had his mast removed, completely stripped of all hardware, all paint removed, and repainted for over $10,000 (in Mexico -- far more expensive in the US!)
Adding a second alternator could cost $1-2K
A serious question would be, which of the above boat projects would be considered a substantial repair or upgrade, which ones would not, and why?
Good if you don't have that rubber paragraph in, a lot have.
They think risk, not money...means it is significant if its changing their risk.
Simple answer if you replace similar with similar you don't have to tell them means new for old sail no, old AGM with new AGM no but LFP yes.
Well a new rigg or a complete overhaul of the mast i would tell them as its lowering the risk and makes claims easier, especially if you have bills to present.

Only 2000$ LFP with all fuses, cabeling, alternator adaption...2nd alternator counts too. All counts under electric upgrade and LFP is significant as its a different risk. If i would be insurance 2k for LFP upgrade would make me think he drops them just in, no adaptions on the system around....alarm bells ringing...
Old 13-10-2023, 09:52   #66

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Good if you don't have that rubber paragraph in, a lot have.
They think risk, not money...means it is significant if its changing their risk.
Simple answer if you replace similar with similar you don't have to tell them means new for old sail no, old AGM with new AGM no but LFP yes.
Well a new rigg or a complete overhaul of the mast i would tell them as its lowering the risk and makes claims easier, especially if you have bills to present.

Only 2000$ LFP with all fuses, cabeling, alternator adaption...2nd alternator counts too. All counts under electric upgrade and LFP is significant as its a different risk. If i would be insurance 2k for LFP upgrade would make me think he drops them just in, no adaptions on the system around....alarm bells ringing...
I don’t see anything in my policy stating this. I have asked them about adjusting the value before because of substantial improvements made (Bimini and dodger) and they just said you need to keep receipts in case of a total loss event. The changes they care about are more so who is using the watercraft, where it is, etc. Again, this is a Progressive policy and I think it is likely more broad versus a maritime specific insurance (which is why they have a cap that they insure to dollar wise).
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote