Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2023, 11:39   #1

BMS disconnect question?

I'm trying to learn as much as i can about lithium systems, but im still currently confused about one thing, and i cant seem to find a concise explanation or answer.

If im out sailing with all my DC navigation equipment turned on, (engine off) and for some unexpected reason my BMS disconnects the batteries from these loads, will it create a damaging voltage spike that will ruin the equipment, autopilot etc connected to the charge bus, or is this really only a problem for an alternator if it disconnects while running the engine or an AC charger when plugged into shore power?
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 11:55   #2

Boat: '78 Hatteras 48LRC, 48' 10"
Re: BMS disconnect question?

A possibly dumb question from the peanut gallery: Does the answer to this question vary with battery chemistry?

General question: At what voltage is your battery management system (BMS) set to disconnect the battery bank from the DC loads?

Greg.
Greg Brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 18:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Brannon View Post
A possibly dumb question from the peanut gallery: Does the answer to this question vary with battery chemistry?

General question: At what voltage is your battery management system (BMS) set to disconnect the battery bank from the DC loads?

Greg.
Im not sure if the questiion was was directed at me. It sounds like its a non issue if charge sources are turned off, but since lead acid batteries dont have an BMS im going to guess no.

I just ordered my first lithium battery (dont have it yet) to learn on over the next year or two before upgrading my entire house bank. I dont have all the user manuals and tech data sheets yet either but im guessing it will be 14.6 volts. The BMS is built in and im not sure those settings can be changed. I will use Victron chargers, shunt etc....so i will set my charge sources to end at 14.2 volts or lower or 3.55ish volts per cell if thats possible.

The bluetooth app shows individual cell voltage so it will be possible to get a cell level view of the pack.
Old 13-07-2023, 00:41   #4

Boat: Nordship 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ORCA View Post
The BMS is built in and im not sure those settings can be changed. I will use Victron chargers, shunt etc....so i will set my charge sources to end at 14.2 volts or lower or 3.55ish volts per cell if thats possible.

The bluetooth app shows individual cell voltage so it will be possible to get a cell level view of the pack.
Why would you set this on the charge sources?
The BMS will monitor each cell, and shut off charging when the first cell reach the max voltage you have set in the BMS parameters.
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 00:55   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorMade View Post
Why would you set this on the charge sources?
The BMS will monitor each cell, and shut off charging when the first cell reach the max voltage you have set in the BMS parameters.
Because it is not the task of the BMS to control the charging process, which is done by the charger.

The BMS must monitor cells and send out warnings if limits are near and protect the battery with HVC or LVC events when limits are crossed.

If a warning is issued and used to shutdown a charge source, something is seriously wrong.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 04:10   #6

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Because it is not the task of the BMS to control the charging process, which is done by the charger.

The BMS must monitor cells and send out warnings if limits are near and protect the battery with HVC or LVC events when limits are crossed.

If a warning is issued and used to shutdown a charge source, something is seriously wrong.

While not a core function of a BMS, having the BMS manage all the different charge sources present on a boat is certainly a nice set of functionality. Each individual charger does it’s thing and should be set up correctly, so that if the BMS goes offline each charger behaves correctly. But having the BMS control when charging happens and what voltage and current values to use is very handy. Any charger that understands CanBUS (such as Victron equipment via a Cerbo GX) can be controlled by a BMS that uses CanBUS as a communication method.

As an example, if it’s very cold or very hot, you can still charge, but at lower current values than in nominal temperatures. Do many (any?) chargers have temperature settings for charge parameters?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 09:46   #7

Quote:

The exception would be if you are using DVCC or similar charger control.
Old 04-07-2023, 18:52   #8

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Brannon View Post

No, because batteries do not have significant inductive properties regardless of chemistry.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:59   #9

Boat: Morgan 382

It is only a problem if the engine and alternator is running. When it happens the voltage spike from the alternator can damage other equipment as well. There are several easy fixes. The fear is overstated.
Old 04-07-2023, 12:33   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Surge suppression.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4200.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	277680  

Old 04-07-2023, 18:38   #11

Quote:
Surge suppression.
ok, so many questions. I need a day or two to absorb this one :P

first obvious question though. what is that bronze/black doohickey between the battery and switch panel?
Old 04-07-2023, 18:55   #12

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
first obvious question though. what is that bronze/black doohickey between the battery and switch panel?

Those are terminal strips. They just connect the groups of wires together. There are two groups, the bronze group, and the black group. The DIN rail terminal components are common in industrial process automation applications. Typically they are not used on yachts, though there are exceptions.
Old 04-07-2023, 19:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Those are terminal strips. They just connect the groups of wires together. There are two groups, the bronze group, and the black group. The DIN rail terminal components are common in industrial process automation applications. Typically they are not used on yachts, though there are exceptions.
Oh got it, thanks Jammer
Old 05-07-2023, 00:45   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
ok, so many questions. I need a day or two to absorb this one :P

It’s red and black DIN rail mounted busbars for positive and negative.

The surge suppression is shown on the left, with the ground wires connected to a bonding plate.

Old 05-07-2023, 00:56   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Even if there are no transient surges during a HVC (there will always be some when this is the only battery going offline) then you still end up loosing power to all electronics which can be trouble when you’re surrounded by reefs, sandbanks etc.

So for electronics, you create a hardened power supply, which is the diagram I show. It is for 24V house and 12V start batteries but you can simply change that to 12V house in which case you use 12-12 dc chargers for both house and start bank.

The trick is that you put surge suppression on both house and start banks, then create a third battery bank for electronics (can be a small, cheap motorcycle battery) around an AGM battery, which is always kept at float charge by a dc-dc charger that is isolated (i.e. DC negative and positive are both galvanically isolated from house and start batteries). This electronics bank also has surge suppression.
When there is lightning in the air, you simply turn off the charger and disconnect using the double pole breaker and continue on battery.

When I made this diagram I still had the VHF on this hardened power supply but I decided the risk is too high with many antennas defeating isolation via the coax shield and the antenna being a target for lightning. I now recommend during lightning storms, to turn the VHF off, disconnect antenna and use a handheld VHF instead.

Attachment shows the panel that has these breakers and on/off switches for the dc-dc chargers in the lower left corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2119.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	277704