Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2023, 17:29   #1

Gold Coast mooring/marina options

Hi everyone, Angie and I are planning to spend next winter sailing our Pugh Moonwind MS from Tassie to the Gold Coast and back over a period of 4 months or so, visiting family while we are there. Does anyone have any experience of renting a marina berth/hiring a mooring in that area during the winter? I imagine we would be in the area for 6 weeks to a couple of months depending on how long it takes to travel up.

I've had the impression that perhaps visiting yachties staying on their boats are not welcomed at some marinas (not sure where I read that, please correct me if I'm wrong ), so a mooring and dinghy to shore may be the only option?

Any info regarding this, as well as the coastal passage, would be greatly appreciated. We have made several Bass Strait crossings in the past, but only once as far north as Sydney (as paid crew).

Cheers, Jim.
jockster1059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 21:01   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Gold Coast mooring/marina options

We usually anchor out around Southport, either off South Stradbroke, or off the measured mile. This would not be convenient for land travel. You can also anchor out in the Nerang River, near the Esplanade. Shore access as you find it. If you want to go into the marinas, you should phone around. If you're an RYCT member, I believe you'll have reciprocal privileges with the Southport YC*, and they've been friendly to us in the past, probably do not have many transient berths. Berths are scarce in SE Qld.

Don't know the draft of your boat, but you can phone around, there are marinas in the Coomera R. that may have transient berths.

We used to stay in Manly Boat Hbr, but that is probably further north than you want to go.

Sometimes the Boat Works might have something for a few days. They're very nice to work with, we used to haul there, and someone will help with transportation.

*They're the high priced spread.

Good luck with your search.

Ann
Old 09-09-2023, 21:41   #3

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Try GCCM while going the boat works path
We could get a berth for a few months when trying the other day, not cheap but we are 20m
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 15:22   #4

Thanks for the info, much appreciated

Our family live at Pimpama, so Jacobs Well is quite close... Navily lists it as an anchorage area, has anyone any experience of that area? Or any other nearby options? BTW we draw 1.5m, LOA 11.5m.

Cheers Jim
Old 11-09-2023, 20:07   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Would you be happy to use the dinghy from the boat to go to Jacob's Well for them to pick you up? Or are you going to need to provide your own land transport?

Last time we were through there, it was pretty full of moorings, in the vicinity of Jacob's Well, but we have for many years found anchorage in the "deep water" (2.3. m) near the next bend in the river. Depending on your dinghy, it is a short ride to Jacob's Well. If it is a rowing dinghy, be sure to provide yourself with some illumination for night time returns to the anchored boat. PM me for approximate coordinates if you are interested. Once you get to know the folks at JW, maybe they can squeeze you in for a while. [Sometimes a 12 pack and chips can work miracles.]

Ann
Old 12-09-2023, 05:24   #6

Boat: Challenger 36

Try Horizon shores, should be able to get berth and not far from Pimpama, or anchor out near Jacobs well, otherwise marina or anchor out further South where closer to shops and facilities - hope harbour, Runaway bay should be able to get berth for a few weeks.
PegasusIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2023, 19:53   #7

Thanks everyone, we'll keep planning!

Tags
mooring