Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2021, 06:47   #31

Re: Crocodile Attack in Kakadu

I was taking a motorized canoe through the jungle of Tortuguero CR and saw those big crocs sunning themselves. But they were all “shy” and disappeared into the water when we approached
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 07:08   #32

There's a crocodile zoo in Davao Mindanao , they have a plaster cast of the largest crock ever held in captivity , there are a lot of crocks in the zoo they have plates sticking out of their backs ,they all looked like they were eyeing folks up for their next meal , don't think I'll try swimming in places that have crocodile s
laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 08:59   #33
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'

Did I miss mention of how the animal went back in he water?
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 09:01   #34

Boat: S&S 36

Well, at least you do not have to worry about sharks in these places, the crocodiles ate them all
Nico Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 09:51   #35

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
There are saltwater crocs in Costa Rica? Please tell me at least their range is only on the Carribean side.
Or else I need to start re-thinking a possible cruise.
In 2000 we cruised Mexico and saw a only a few small crocs in one protected place, all fenced in a park. We ran our dinghy up into the river areas in many places without thinking about it.

In 2017-2019 we cruised the same places, and now there are many. In fact near the popular Tenacatita anchorage there is a fenced in park where we saw an 18 foot croc - I'm not exaggerating - happily laying up against the chain link fence right next to the sidewalk and street. Big tourist attraction. They feed him huge chunks of meat to keep him there.

Even farther north in Puerta Vallarta they have signs in the marina to keep you out of the water as there is a small croc that visits the marina through a drain pipe almost every day.

If they have them in Mexico that far north, then you can bet they are everywhere up to that latitude on both coasts.

It's a lot of fun to explore the mangroves in a dink, but keep going and never stop in one place. Just like sharks, you never go in the water unless it is very clear and to avoid crocs, some distance from any mangroves.

Now we read about the croc population explosion in Oz. Some controlled croc hunting everywhere seems justified.

BTW I loved the picture of the idiot feeding the croc. Guess he's vying for a Darwin Award.

All said, I certainly would not cancel a cruise due to fear of crocs. If you behave yourself and a few obvious rules, you have more chance of being struck by lightning (esp. in Costa Rica).
Old 30-04-2021, 10:15   #36

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
In 2000 we cruised Mexico and saw a only a few small crocs in one protected place, all fenced in a park. We ran our dinghy up into the river areas in many places without thinking about it.
If they have them in Mexico that far north, then you can bet they are everywhere up to that latitude on both coasts.

It's a lot of fun to explore the mangroves in a dink, but keep going and never stop in one place. Just like sharks, you never go in the water unless it is very clear and to avoid crocs, some distance from any mangroves.

Now we read about the croc population explosion in Oz. Some controlled croc hunting everywhere seems justified.

BTW I loved the picture of the idiot feeding the croc. Guess he's vying for a Darwin Award.

All said, I certainly would not cancel a cruise due to fear of crocs. If you behave yourself and a few obvious rules, you have more chance of being struck by lightning (esp. in Costa Rica).
My morning routine when I’m not in a polluted harbor is to dive off and go for a swim before even making coffee. I learned to sail on Lake Michigan and freshwater lakes in Wisconsin.
Not too many critters to give me the heebie-jeebies there.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 10:31   #37

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I thought some of you might be interested in this, from this morning's news. No fatalities, for which we can be grateful. I wonder if terror lengthened the estimate of the croc's size? 5 m. is a huge beast!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...kadu/100105532
Yep, when you choose to go fishing at night in a place called the South Crocodile River you'll probably be encountering crocodiles. Don't they have a Wombat River?
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 10:33   #38

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
I was taking a motorized canoe through the jungle of Tortuguero CR and saw those big crocs sunning themselves. But they were all “shy” and disappeared into the water when we approached
PLEASE do not visit crocodile infested waters in any kind of canoe. If you must go to waters inhabited by crocodiles (alligators, or whatever), at least make sure that as a minimum, you are in a large aluminium dinghy (NOT a RIB) with a wide beam.

Why? Let me tell you a (true) story. My wife's cousin & her husband loved fishing around their home in North Queensland. They used one of those Canadian style canoes. They were repeatedly advised by my father in law to use a dinghy instead (a tinnie as they call them).

Long story short, they are fishing in the Danetree river, maybe half a mile from bright lights & civilisation, when they notice the crocs are interested. Sliding off the banks towards them. Time to move on. Outboard wont start, try paddling. Too late. Crocs tip up the canoe. She made it to shore - they found his thighbone a week later.

Scared? You should be. Have you ever seen a large saltwater crocodile up close?

In my experience Aussies can be unbelievably relaxed. No worries!
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 10:35   #39

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

The corollary to this story is that saltwater crocodiles are now protected species in Australia & their numbers have risen hugely in the last 20 years. Can't kill 'em. They've got rights.

They will start killing them again eventually of course - when enough people have died.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 11:08   #40

Boat: Sabre 34II

Not really, we thought they were idiots too initially but after seeing them do it for 50 some times saw they were never at risk of being eaten, their actions were methodic and they would make sure only 1 croc was attracted at a time, rest of the guys would keep others at bay - truly professional, how else would they satisfy high paying Americans?

All jokes aside, we participated in a lot of activities during our stay there and they were all very good, we never felt unsafe and had a great time. We love outdoors and do a lot of activities here in the US too and can’t say the same about some folks here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 11:20   #41

Boat: Nonsuch 30

The crocs did much to spoil our trip from Brisbane to Darwin. As outsiders you do not have 'local knowledge' which means you are extra careful (paranoid). Also you do have an inflatable and not a tinny. We saw one large croc on an island several miles offshore. Pretty sure I can't outrun my wife. She is 10 years younger and was a track star in university.

We went to visit a couple who run a pearl farm (is that the correct usage) on a river just south of the northern tip of Queensland. There were crocs sunning themselves all over the place. We asked on the radio if they were a problem. The lady of the house said 'no' as long as you keep moving. I thought about the (un)reliability of our mighty 4 hp on the inflatable. When we visited them, very nice couple btw, they said their grass airstrip was overgrown and the snakes had moved in. In Oz this is not a good thing. I think pearl farming was pretty lucrative for them but I would have moved to NZ.
Old 30-04-2021, 11:28   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
PLEASE do not visit crocodile infested waters in any kind of canoe. If you must go to waters inhabited by crocodiles (alligators, or whatever), at least make sure that as a minimum, you are in a large aluminium dinghy (NOT a RIB) with a wide beam....
I have been around quite a few gators, swimming, paddling a canoe and kayaks, rowing small boats, and even wadding, waist deep in the Everglades picking up dead fish. Never had a problem with a gator.

Having said, that, you do need to keep your wits about you. Many, well most, of the gator attacks in Florida is from idiots feeding or playing with the gators.

We paddled our kayaks past a gator, he was not really that big, 6-8 feet, that had killed a kid. This was on a very narrow river, no more than 18 feet wide, in crystal clear water and we passed the gator 10ish feet away from us. The story from the parents was odd, and when we went by the spot, I don't see anyway they would not have seen that gator. I think the reality was they DID see the gator, and were feeding it when their kid got killed.

When we were putting our kayaks in the river, the trapper was right behind us to get the gator...

The problem in Florida is the idiots feeding gators. Gators quickly figure out people mean food. People also don't understand out fast and far they can leap out of the water. I once was in a public area, where people feed gators and there was a mother and her 3-4 year old kid standing at the water edge looking at a gator 3-4 feet from them. You could only see the gator's head but the gator was around 8-10 feet long and it was looking intently at the mother and daughter. We had a chat and they moved away from the water's edge.

Later that night, two morons were likely feeding a gator while siting on a floating dock that might have been 12 inches of the water. A gator came out of the water, and all you could see was white mouth. I was several hundred feet away and it was most impressive. Having it happen a foot or two in front of you, one would likely use different words.

As bad as gators can be, they are not salt water crocs. Salt water crocs are a whole different breed of bad. I would not take a canoe, kayak, or inflatable dinghy in water that might have crocs. Nope, Nope, Nope. Gators? Yep, been there done that.

There are crocs in South Florida, but they don't move north for some reason, nor have I heard that they have gotten to monster size. Though, given they are protected, maybe one day they will.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 15:09   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Even alligators can be a problem. In the Solomon Is., they used to farm alligators, although the practice has been stopped at least the last 20 yrs. (someone may know exactly how long ago: thank you). Maybe twelve years or so ago, a German cruising couple were visiting the village where the farm used to be. She was on deck, and he dove in the water to check the anchor. Gator got him. Not all of him--his remains were buried there. Some of the other cruisers volunteered to help her sail the boat to Darwin, and the widow flew back to Germany.

Ann
Old 30-04-2021, 15:22   #44

Gunnel? I just what was not sure what this had to do with crocs., but I do know that if a 5 m croc has you on the menu then a gunnel would present no real barrier.

And that isn't a load of old croc.

Crocodiles are so common in the Northern Territory that hardly a week goes by without some comical reference in the local NT News. There are warning signs everywhere and with good reason. These animals take on water buffaloes so a human is about snack size. As a general rule they spin to break your spine then hide your body so that after a while your rotting flesh is chew-able although an arm or so may be eaten fresh.

Not known to be good pets.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 15:46   #45

Boat: C-26

[QUOTE=JPA Cate;3397444] 5 m. is a huge beast!

5 m. is the average size of these animals. 14'-17', 2200lbs.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote