Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2023, 08:55   #1

Boat: 1985 Ericsson 30+
seeking dry storage options pacific mexico and south

Ahoy me hearties.
A few years ago, I sailed my little ericsson 30+ down from SF Bay to the Sea of Cortez. I've been storing her up in Marina Seca San Carlos. It's super affordable, I pay about 140/month and the haul/splash is 300. the last couple of years I've been driving down for the cruising season, splashing and cruising for a few months and then returning to San Carlos to put the boat away and driving home. It's been great, but I want to head further south this year. I'm not thinking I will return all the way back up to San Carlos, But continue southbound. I'm Looking for dry storage yards between Banderas Bay and Panama. I'd like to leave the boat in April or May someplace Safely on the hard, Fly back to my truck in san carlos and return home. So, Where are the places I can leave the boat (not in the water in a slip!) anywhere along the coast southbound? I feel like there isn't much, I've been searching the web and can't seem to find anything.
Alternatively, I could sail back North again, but the timing might not work out for me waiting for southerly winds to start filling in. If someone here knows the best timing to sail back north from say, Z-town back up to the sea of cortez, that would be helpful too (as a plan B. Or plan A I don't know).
And lastly, I've been cruising with a 30 year old copy of charlies charts and Navionics on a dedicated ipad. I'd like to order a new cruising guide and would love to hear some recommendations. My style of cruising is avoiding marinas and crowded anchorages and finding remote and beautiful spots to anchor, coming in just for provisions and water so guides that are heavy on marinas and town knowledge aren't for me.

Cheers!
kaliphornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2023, 11:30   #2

Location: Salish Sea in summer/Puerto Vallarta in the winter - no boat just sun and beaches!
Boat: Benford 34 Junk Schooner
Re: seeking dry storage options pacific mexico and south

8 years ago I had a boat on the hard for a couple of weeks at Marina Chiapas, near the border with Guatemala. I can't get on to their website now as my browser considers it unsafe, so I don't know if they are still offering dry storage.
PaulSommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2023, 13:49   #3

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150
Re: seeking dry storage options pacific mexico and south

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliphornia View Post
And lastly, I've been cruising with a 30 year old copy of charlies charts and Navionics on a dedicated ipad. I'd like to order a new cruising guide and would love to hear some recommendations. My style of cruising is avoiding marinas and crowded anchorages and finding remote and beautiful spots to anchor, coming in just for provisions and water so guides that are heavy on marinas and town knowledge aren't for me.

Cheers!
Pacific Mexico by Bansmer and Breeding is probably your best bet. My experience has been that they cover most anchorages that are reasonable. But you also get the town and marina stuff. I am not aware of an alternative other than Charlie's Charts and the Bansmer and Breeding guide offers more detail, but at a higher price.

Tags
Mexico, storage