Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2020, 04:54   #1

Boat: Dufour 460 GL
Winter Hard Storage Options in Far South Italy, Possibly Sicily

We are looking for trusted yards for hard storage from October 2020 through April 2021 for a 14 meter x 4.5 meter monohull. Far South Italy or possibly Sicily. Priorities are 1) Security/Management and 2) Value for Money but any option must have year round access for 2.2 meters of draft. Can anyone recommend some good options that you ideally have had personal experience with? Thank you!
SV Accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 05:44   #2

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: Winter Hard Storage Options in Far South Italy, Possibly Sicily

You may want to consider Malta. A lot of boats haul out in the yards there. It's only a day sail south of Sicily. A search of posts will give lots of hits.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 09:42   #3

Boat: Dufour 460 GL

Hi Steve - I had considered Malta for the reasons you mentioned but it significantly increases the complexity of me getting back to the boat in April if Covid is still presenting issues. For personal reasons relating to my passport, Italy is much safer for me than Malta.
SV Accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 11:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Winter Hard Storage Options in Far South Italy, Possibly Sicily

My suggestion would be Licata Marina on the S coast of Sicily..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 09:04   #5

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 34
Send a message via Skype™ to beirutsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
My suggestion would be Licata Marina on the S coast of Sicily..
Agree in principle, but the Marina does not have places on the hard. Next door excellent yard with modern travel lift and 4 m high fences. Take even superyachts..
Marina friendly, cosmopolitan (not just Brits, as in Malta), and very convenient shopping.
beirutsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 10:10   #6

Hi, one of my friends suggested me: Porto Dell'Etna (Marina di Riposto).

Kind regards.

Eduardo
edureyes2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 10:22   #7

Riposte is good not too far from Catania. Might get a bit of ash on your topsides. Have a look at Ragusa and Syracuse. I’m currently ashore st Officine Max at Syracuse but I think you might be a little deep. Try the other side of Ortigia.
Tumbet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 10:42   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Winter Hard Storage Options in Far South Italy, Possibly Sicily

Quote:
Originally Posted by beirutsailor View Post
Agree in principle, but the Marina does not have places on the hard. Next door excellent yard with modern travel lift and 4 m high fences. Take even superyachts..
Marina friendly, cosmopolitan (not just Brits, as in Malta), and very convenient shopping.
That's where I meant.. but figured the marina would have the contact number/email for the OP.. assuming they don't have an active finger in the pie.
Mind.. Italy is a bit weird like that.. enter many ports and there's guys shouting from various pontoons that they do the best deal.. or ribs meeting you as you enter and they start shouting their deals.. very confusing the first time you go there.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 11:00   #9

We looked at it a couple of years ago and it was not too good in this area. Expensive or shallow we can go shallow but others couldn’t. Look at Gozo. Capo Orlando on the north coast of Sicily or leave it in the water which is what we did at Licata. Ragusa is also good for leaving in the water. Slightly posher. Vibo Valencia on the mainland was also good. Great Canadian lady running it. Don’t over look Reggio either.
Tumbet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 21:51   #10

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
You may want to consider Malta. A lot of boats haul out in the yards there. It's only a day sail south of Sicily. A search of posts will give lots of hits.

Steve
Well, because a lot of boats haul out (insurance thing here) there is not much space on this little island.

El
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:40   #11

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Accomplice View Post
We are looking for trusted yards for hard storage from October 2020 through April 2021 for a 14 meter x 4.5 meter monohull. Far South Italy or possibly Sicily. Priorities are 1) Security/Management and 2) Value for Money but any option must have year round access for 2.2 meters of draft. Can anyone recommend some good options that you ideally have had personal experience with? Thank you!
Licata is the place we over-wintered three seasons. The marina is superb for your prep either side, and has excellent shopping just at the back of the marina.

As to hard stand, there is a choice of several yards from economical to 'pay more-get more'

PM me if you would like further details.

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:02   #12

Boat: Moody 41

Good and not too expensive shipyard in Trapani, the city is very nice and you have the Egadi islands just few miles away. Airport close to city with good connections to Rome and I believe Milano, but not sure about it, if you need any contacts I can try to find out.

there is a lovely village not too far from Trapani if you need to wait on the water, before or after the time ashore, San Vito Lo Capo, small harbour with nice marina
abezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:23   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I am keeping my boat at Ranieri/Bari for the third year. You can stay in the water or have the boat on the hard. Boatyard work, if you need it, is truly excellent and not expensive. Excellent security and some of the marina guys actually live onsite so there is 24/7 security and mooring assistance. Travel lift with max capacity 100 tonnes. Fuel quay. No prblms with depth in the marina, i think it is typically 3-4 metres, sometimes more. Guy to speak to is Antonio Ranieri, and as with his brother and nephew as well as many of the staff they speak English if that is what you need.

Nearby airport with many direct international connections all the year round. Small local shops and restaurants about 5 min walk, much larger shops, supermarket etc a short bus ride. Supermarket will deliver to the marina. One of the best pizzeria's in the area is just outside the marina gates.

Aprt from the year-round access with flights i like Bari bec it gives a choice where to sail to in the summer, Croatia, Montenegro, Greece, Sicily.
Old 06-05-2023, 20:01   #14

Hello - would appreciate any further information regarding this same request. Looking for hardstand options in Sicily mid July this year for 15m monohull with a 1.8m draft. Any further info with actual contact details would be much appreciated.
OzRobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 23:26   #15

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 34
Send a message via Skype™ to beirutsailor

Google Oceanica Naval Cantiere S.R.L. in Licata.
beirutsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Italy, Sicily, storage