Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2024, 10:54   #1

Marinas south of Annapolis less pricey

We are in searching for a new marina.

We live in Loudoun county, so it is quite a drive to our current marina in Solomons, Maryland. Our current marina is quite pricey for our 41 foot sailboat.

Can anyone recommend any decent marinas that are south of Annapolis? We are not interested in Herrington Harbour .

something located between Annapolis and Deale , MD would be great !
Solomons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 12:07   #2
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet
Re: Marinas south of Annapolis less pricey

Holiday Hill Marina in Edgewater, MD.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 15:30   #3

Boat: Moody 376

Live in Vienna, keep my 38’ moody at paradise marina in deale.

I pretty close to max size for them, but I think they have have a couple end spots on a T available.

Don’t blame on HH. Nice place but nearly 2x the cost. Shipwrights in deale, I think they are owned by HH.

deale is about 55 miles from Vienna. Can make the trip in an hour if folks mind their ps and qs on 495.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 18:26   #4

Boat: 2010 Beneteau 31

Not to hijack, but I'm looking for a full service marina in the same area for an over winter haul out, plus some maintenance items (sandblast and epoxy keel, standing rigging, electronics, etc.) Where should I go that does good work but will do less damage to my wallet?
apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 21:27   #5

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

I have my boat at the Pirate's Cove Marina in Galesville, MD. It's on the West River about 25 (or so) miles south of downtown Annapolis (Ego Alley) and about 8 miles (or so) north of Deale. When looking for slips about 3 years ago it was one of the most reasonably-priced marinas in the greater Annapolis area. I've lost track of what slips go for today. I pay $4,100 per year for a 40' slip. There are larger slips available - but I don't recall what their per-foot rate is. Water is about 8' - 10' deep in the slips (on average). They have fresh water and 30-amp hookups. There is no usage charge for water or power. The marina requires that you carry some amount (can't recall how much) liability insurance.

Galesville has two decent restaurants. It's not too far from several other restaurants, several grocery stores, several hardware stores (including two Ace Hardware stores that carry 316 SS fasteners and other marine supplies) and the West Marine stores in Edgewater and Deale. Ice is available at the nearby High's store and at Hartge's. Annapolis is an easy drive up Rt. 2 and you enter through the back door down Aris T Allen through Eastport. I can get to the Annapolis West Marine store, Fawcett's, Bacon's and the Bert Jabin yard on Edgewood Rd in about half an hour (depending on - as everything else does in this part of the world - traffic).

It's about 1:15 - 1:30 from Leesburg (again, depending on traffic). You'd take the north side of the Beltway and come out Rt. 50 to Davidsonville Rd and then wend your way SE to Galesville.

The Galesville Harbor Yacht Yard is just next door and they are *almost* full-service. They do a lot of routine things in-house, and then will sub out specialty services. The Hartge yard is just up the street (or around the point). Hartge offers many more in-house services. Galesville can do winter haul-outs and storage, winterizing, soda-blasting, painting (both bottom and topsides), fiberglass repairs, etc.; Hartge has a rigger and can do other things; there is an independent engine mechanic at the Galesville Harbor yard. There is a good (but very backed-up) canvas shop on site. Galesville Harbor is reasonably-priced; Hartge is somewhat less so.

If you want a tour of the area just let me know and I'll meet you there one day.
Old 11-01-2024, 04:42   #6

Boat: Moody 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc View Post
Not to hijack, but I'm looking for a full service marina in the same area for an over winter haul out, plus some maintenance items (sandblast and epoxy keel, standing rigging, electronics, etc.) Where should I go that does good work but will do less damage to my wallet?
When I pull I stay at Herrington north. Lots of shops and folks to work on boats. I only had Osprey soda blast 30 years of AF off the boat a few years ago. all other work I did myself. They have plenty of on the hard electrical pedestals and water (every 100' or so) and do allow DIY work. Nice folks. dock prices not with standing on the hard seemed ok.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2024, 11:13   #7

Thanks for all of the suggestions!!! If anyone thinks of other marinas pls post..
Solomons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2024, 05:34   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls8r View Post
The Galesville Harbor Yacht Yard is just next door and they are *almost* full-service. They do a lot of routine things in-house, and then will sub out specialty services. The Hartge yard is just up the street (or around the point). Hartge offers many more in-house services. Galesville can do winter haul-outs and storage, winterizing, soda-blasting, painting (both bottom and topsides), fiberglass repairs, etc.; Hartge has a rigger and can do other things; there is an independent engine mechanic at the Galesville Harbor yard. There is a good (but very backed-up) canvas shop on site. Galesville Harbor is reasonably-priced; Hartge is somewhat less so.

I wouldn't say Hartge Yacht Harbor is horribly more expensive, though. We find it to be a nice place, well run, onsite boatyard guys, etc. And some kind of deal to use the pool over at West River Yacht Harbor (the one with the fuel dock on the outside).

The Chaney folks from Herrington North bought HYH a couple years ago and have been pouring money into updates. And they brought the Hartge Yacht Yard folks back onsite.

-Chris
Old 14-01-2024, 07:42   #9

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

ranger58sb -

No - I wouldn't say that Hartge is "horribly more expensive" - just a bit more. I've used them (or tried to use them) a few times and my major complaint is a common one - they seem to take forever to get work done. I had their rigger tune my standing rigging after I had replaced it, and it took them six weeks to get around to it - and then the rig was still very loose, so I finished the job myself. Another time their carpenter told me that the repair of a 1.5' portion of my rub rail would involve completely removing all the cabinetry and stove from the galley. While standing next to my boat he said that he didn't have the time to look at it since he was busy - but that's what he had found by working on other Hinckleys. I told him I would be around for another two weeks, and to stop by when he had a chance to look at things. I never heard from him again. I replaced the section of rub rail without disturbing the galley in the least. Removing and replacing all that cabinetry would have been a major unnecessary expense.

I understand - but am not certain - that while Hartge does allow some DYI work, they don't allow it on the weekends. At least - that's what I was told. It would be something to check for folks who want to do DYI work at Hartge.

Don't get me wrong. I think that the Hartge folks are good workers and the Hartge marina is a good place to keep a boat - I have friends there and they seem to really like the place. I just think that they are a bit more pricey than some others and that they (like many others) are difficult to get timely work done.
Old 15-01-2024, 06:13   #10

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

I would agree, the HYY people (owned and managed separate from the HYH people) are often over-subscribed.

That seems to be the case in several places we've been...

FWIW, HYY moved back on site last year, so if your experience was before that, it would have been the HYH people... who have since been added to the pre-existing and already large HYY staff.

-Chris

Tags
annapolis, marinas, price