Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2020, 16:35   #241

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27
Re: Let's talk cruising in British Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Missed that! Hull #42...
Since we're here, tell us about your boat. We never get to see #42 perform really.

Pilothouse aside—I'm already sold on the usefulness of getting one of those—how would you rate Pelagia for Salish Sea cruising and Vancouver Island circumnavigating?
Old 22-12-2020, 18:16   #242

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post
Since we're here, tell us about your boat. We never get to see #42 perform really.

Pilothouse aside—I'm already sold on the usefulness of getting one of those—how would you rate Pelagia for Salish Sea cruising and Vancouver Island circumnavigating?
http://sailing-pelagia.blogspot.com/...lagia.html?m=0

How would I rate Pelagia (or other Sceptre41/43s)?
C'mon, you'll only get a biased response from an owner...
but I'd rate her "excellent" [emoji6]
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 20:08   #243

Quote:
Sailing Pelagia: The Boat: Pelagia

Sure, but I got another blog to peruse.

thanks
Old 22-12-2020, 20:16   #244

Quote:
Sailing Pelagia: The Boat: Pelagia

This is rad. Surveying that cove...all this info.

I could never do this much work, but it's great material for the lazy sailor.

Thank you!
Old 23-12-2020, 11:37   #245

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

While you pine away for best cruising lifestyle. check out bigwavedave.ca .weather info and cam for the coast. I often look at Dallas Rd site.((pans from E to Race Rocks in the west... Victoria harbour, my home port shows to N.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 13:56   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmast View Post
While you pine away for best cruising lifestyle. check out bigwavedave.ca .weather info and cam for the coast. I often look at Dallas Rd site.((pans from E to Race Rocks in the west... Victoria harbour, my home port shows to N.
Sick site, top!

Thanks for sharing. Bookmarked.
Old 24-12-2020, 06:09   #247

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I didn't read the entire thread so not sure if this has been mentioned.
Just south of BC there's a big rain shadow caused by the Olympic Range in Washington State. While Vancouver, BC gets about 50" of rain per year Seattle gets only about 36". The northeast coast of the Olympic Peninsula is really dry with only about 20" of precip and it's called the banana belt with many sunny days. NYC is around 46" by comparison.
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Sequim-...-of-Washington

It also has the best boaty town around, Port Townsend. Port Angeles is pretty cool too and is the main entrance the Olympic National Park.

The San Juan Islands which are between the OP and BC are still in the rain shadow with only about 27" per year so there's lots of good somewhat drier stuff to explore. And has been mentioned Victoria benefits some from the shadow effect.

Bobber
Old 24-12-2020, 09:36   #248

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD
Smile Re: Let's talk cruising in British Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Just south of BC there's a big rain shadow caused by the Olympic Range in Washington State. While Vancouver, BC gets about 50" of rain per year Seattle gets only about 36". The northeast coast of the Olympic Peninsula is really dry with only about 20" of precip and it's called the banana belt with many sunny days. NYC is around 46" by comparison.

It also has the best boaty town around, Port Townsend. Port Angeles is pretty cool too and is the main entrance the Olympic National Park.

The San Juan Islands which are between the OP and BC are still in the rain shadow with only about 27" per year so there's lots of good somewhat drier stuff to explore. And has been mentioned Victoria benefits some from the shadow effect.

Bobber

Sheesh. Some people just like to spoil the fun. We BC'ers LOVE to complain about the rain! But yes, Like the east coast of the Olympic Penninsula and the San Juan Islands, Victoria and the southern Gulf Islands get much less rain than say Vancouver which sits up against the western slope of the Coast Mountains and gets dumped on as the eastward flowing clouds, pushed by the prevailing westerly winds, are forced up and over the 5000' hills in our back yard. Heck, annual rainfall just across the Vancouver suburbs varies from 41" a year in Tsawwassen to 98" annually in Lynn Valley!

But if you REALLY want to get wet, go live in Ocean Falls on the Central Coast (renamed the Great Bear Rainforest by the tree huggers) which gets about 173" a year! It didn't get it's name for it's sun bathing beaches! (of which there are none )

For snowfall, there's Mount Washington (just up the hill from the harbour at Comox on Vancouver Island) which gets an average of 43 FEET of the white stuff each year! It's the only hill I've ever skiied where they have to dig a trench 20' deep so the chairlift chairs can get through!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 11:28   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post

Bobber
Thanks, B

Some great new-to-me intel here. Most threaders have discussed BC, and my plan is to fully explore Washington waters as well.
Old 24-12-2020, 11:37   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Sheesh. Some people just like to spoil the fun. We BC'ers LOVE to complain about the rain! But yes, Like the east coast of the Olympic Penninsula and the San Juan Islands, Victoria and the southern Gulf Islands get much less rain than say Vancouver which sits up against the western slope of the Coast Mountains and gets dumped on as the eastward flowing clouds, pushed by the prevailing westerly winds, are forced up and over the 5000' hills in our back yard. Heck, annual rainfall just across the Vancouver suburbs varies from 41" a year in Tsawwassen to 98" annually in Lynn Valley!

But if you REALLY want to get wet, go live in Ocean Falls on the Central Coast (renamed the Great Bear Rainforest by the tree huggers) which gets about 173" a year! It didn't get it's name for it's sun bathing beaches! (of which there are none )

For snowfall, there's Mount Washington (just up the hill from the harbour at Comox on Vancouver Island) which gets an average of 43 FEET of the white stuff each year! It's the only hill I've ever skiied where they have to dig a trench 20' deep so the chairlift chairs can get through!

Thanks for the ideas! In some of the vloggers' videos, I have seen why they call it rain forest. I'm also intensively shopping pilothouse/deck saloon models (the Bavaria is not making the trip.)

Incidentally, a lot of the places mentioned in this thread get less rain annually than where I am now. It's more the issue of when it rains.
Old 24-12-2020, 12:10   #251

Quote:
Thanks, B

Some great new-to-me intel here. Most threaders have discussed BC, and my plan is to fully explore Washington waters as well.

Unless you want to go out on the wild, featureless, dangerous, open Pacific west coast of Washington state, it's a tiny area compared to BC and 'WAY too crowded! (Why do you think they all come up here when they can?).

Ok, I take back featureless. Let's say RELATIVELY featureless (and you can't get close most places).
Old 24-12-2020, 12:28   #252

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas! In some of the vloggers' videos, I have seen why they call it rain forest. I'm also intensively shopping pilothouse/deck saloon models (the Bavaria is not making the trip.)
Have a look at Parallel Dreams, a 45' steel (gotta love steel!) Amazon ketch for sale at Jack's Boat Yard, Lund, BC (where I keep Scorpius winters). She can probably be had for around $50,000Cdn (thanks to our Liberal federal government - less than $35,000US).

Give Gerry (the manager at Jack's and his daughter) a call at 604-483-4566 or gerry@jacksboatyard.ca for more information and contact information. She's a MARVELLOUS woman to deal with!

https://jacksboatyard.ca/
Old 24-12-2020, 12:48   #253

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That's about the only time you can see the snow, 'cuz the fog is so bad there you need a telegraph to tell you feet where the snow is.

I skied there ONCE when I could actually see something other than whiteout.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 13:11   #254

Quote:
Have a look at Parallel Dreams, a 45' steel (gotta love steel!) Amazon ketch for sale at Jack's Boat Yard, Lund, BC (where I keep Scorpius winters). She can probably be had for around $50,000Cdn (thanks to our Liberal federal government - less than $35,000US).

Give Gerry (the manager at Jack's and his daughter) a call at 604-483-4566 or gerry@jacksboatyard.ca for more information and contact information. She's a MARVELLOUS woman to deal with!

https://jacksboatyard.ca/
Sounds like a steal. Thanks!
Old 24-12-2020, 13:15   #255

Quote:
Unless you want to go out on the wild, featureless, dangerous, open Pacific west coast of Washington state, it's a tiny area compared to BC and 'WAY too crowded! (Why do you think they all come up here when they can?).

Ok, I take back featureless. Let's say RELATIVELY featureless (and you can't get close most places).
Yeah, I can see the difference on a chart. I just mean puttering around. There are towns, and islands, and people I know who live there.

If and when I go outside, it'll be to circumnavigate Vancouver Is. or go north. No ambitions to sail to California or cross the Columbia River bar.

If we're talking about a lifetime of cruising, there's time to explore everything.

Tags
british columbia, columbia, cruising