Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2019, 15:54   #31
cruiser

Re: Convicted Boat Thief Mark Conner Opens New Business in New Port Richey Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
When somebody is convicted of pretending to sell boats on consignment & instead steals them, gets out of jail without ever paying restitution & then goes right back to selling boats on consignment it is a public service to let the community know. Some here obviously don't have a problem with thieves but most of us do.
totally agree! thank you
Boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 09:32   #32

Re: Convicted Boat Thief Mark Conner Opens New Business in New Port Richey Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
I think you are making some bad assumptions. I dont think that he has repaid the $400,000+ he owes. If he did, and can attest he is a changed man, and conduct business legally, then may be that is a different story but I dont think so just based on his lying website and not having the proper broker/business licenses based on what I am reading here.

Who are you? How are you related?
As a non-related non-american it is hard to really know but I don't think I made wrong assumptions.

How would you expect after 4 (or 6?) years in prison to pay back any money? Likely one is broke and the best the society can hope for, is, that the person finds again a job, a way to life and is (reasonably) happy.

From my impression the OP doesn't know and just stirs the pot. That's why I asked who he is.

There are many websites with stock photos and with hyperboles (or just lies). For me the whole ad-industry is mostly 'criminal'. Also respectable companies like Google or Facebook have their issues. Broker/dealer issue was not clear as fair as I saw from quick reading.

Of course I don't like thieves. But one has to be realistic and as long as you (US) don't go back to the 'tried and true' horse-theft-punishment style, it seemed wiser to give a person a second, third and/or even more chances. Aren't 4 years enough/too much already? (Well at least he didn't get 35 like Chelsea).
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 10:07   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
You may not think you need to look out for someone who can be seen as a threat to all your boatie friends. Not all of us want to give crooks a break, though. It's a funny spot there, between sanctioning theft and trying to behave "nicely" to others when being nice means you help only one, and drawing a line potentially helps many more.
I'm not necessarily against warnings. But it should imho be somewhat decent. If you speak german: "der Ton macht die Musik".

In the 'hulltruth' [1] link from the OP (which OP proper started), he was not decent at all. There you find insults like: "swindler with a low IQ", "an eye on this a$$hole", "asshat", "this idiot". Posted a picture including another person, a women. Snooped in legal documents.

Boatie friends don't need this. Yes, boatie friends might need a warning, I agree! But before going public (even more so in such a vile way), one, imho, should inquire in private. He (himself) could have phoned, maybe even visited, talked. But it is sooo easy sitting hidden behind the keyboard and let loose the internet mob (and the women did get quite some inappropriate slaps).

I won't comment further as I don't want to give more exposure to the OP. For me the post was shabby (at the very least in the form it has been done). (And if Mark should read: be good, hope/wish you are doing well! It likely is not easy after all, your partner? looks sympathetic btw!)

[1] "www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/ ... #post12187441"
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 11:18   #34

Boat: Privilege 435

[QUOTE=, it seemed wiser to give a person a second, third and/or even more chances. .[/QUOTE]

Would you let a convicted pedophile look after your children if they had just come out of prison or would you err on the side of caution?

Of course, the person might not commit another offence but I am thankful to the OP for bringing this to everyone's attention so that if I was considering doing business with this person, I could make an informed decision. (Having checked that it is the same person).
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 12:00   #35

Boat: Islander 32 MK2 #157/Pram 8 Marconi Rig

The whole area there is crazy, mayor of port Richie crazier...whole south Pasco County Fl area just dramaville...

Look what made news today! I met this guy at Labor Day picnic he attended, dude has history of crazy incidents at his house...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wfla.com/amp/news/pasco-county/swat-team-shot-at-while-serving-search-warrant-at-port-richey-home/1798638272
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 12:23   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
Of course, the person might not commit another offence...
Or he may have ALREADY committed another offense. As I said before, to present yourself as a boat broker in Florida (which he is doing) you must have a license from the state. You cannot get such a license if you have been convicted of a felony (which he has). So all indications are that he either lied to get the license (which is, in itself, an offense) or he is operating without a license (which is ALSO an offense).

In one regard I will agree with blu3534; there is no need for the nasty name-calling. In this case it seems pretty clear to me that the facts, all by themselves, are quite damning enough.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 14:46   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
As a non-related non-american it is hard to really know but I don't think I made wrong assumptions.

How would you expect after 4 (or 6?) years in prison to pay back any money? Likely one is broke and the best the society can hope for, is, that the person finds again a job, a way to life and is (reasonably) happy.

From my impression the OP doesn't know and just stirs the pot. That's why I asked who he is.

There are many websites with stock photos and with hyperboles (or just lies). For me the whole ad-industry is mostly 'criminal'. Also respectable companies like Google or Facebook have their issues. Broker/dealer issue was not clear as fair as I saw from quick reading.

Of course I don't like thieves. But one has to be realistic and as long as you (US) don't go back to the 'tried and true' horse-theft-punishment style, it seemed wiser to give a person a second, third and/or even more chances. Aren't 4 years enough/too much already? (Well at least he didn't get 35 like Chelsea).
facts are facts

the guy is a criminal who still owes $400k+ if I read the court documents correctly

he has lies on his website

he apparently does not have the proper business/brokers license

i wonder if the judge barred him from entering the same line of business?

you are delusional if you think there is something wrong with warning potential future victims about the guy
Old 22-02-2019, 04:48   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
i wonder if the judge barred him from entering the same line of business?
I would expect so, since that is a pretty standard provision in "white collar" cases like this. In any case, he would be prohibited from calling himself a broker by the simple fact that he has a felony conviction on his record.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 06:06   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I would expect so, since that is a pretty standard provision in "white collar" cases like this. In any case, he would be prohibited from calling himself a broker by the simple fact that he has a felony conviction on his record.
has anyone contacted the DA's office to see if he is barred or if they want to pursue charges for failure to obtain proper license?
Old 22-02-2019, 09:27   #40

Boat: Gulf 32" PH Sloop

"Waaa.. waa.. how's the guy supposed to make a living?"

Legally would be a good place to start.

Think "Dirty Jobs", I'm sure with just a little more education, intelligence and integrity this could find something new to shovel in no time at all..
scottfree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 15:22   #41

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkle1976 View Post
Mark Conner, of New Port Richey (formerly of Treasure Island), a convicted boat thief and boat consignment defrauder has opened a new business called Westside Marine. The Hull Truth link below has all the information.

His website is: https://westsidemarine.net (updated, Pete7)

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...=#post12187441
Sounds like he has a decent business plan. He steals the boats and sell?

Great I have no interest in motorboats of any kind... - including the mega yacht he has at his homepage... I wonder how did he get that one... haha
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 18:22   #42

The FL sheriff's arrest link has Mark Conners. FL licensing site has a bunch of Mark Conner guys, no "s". One looks like the culprit but his license expired in 2008.

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/wl1...SID=&brd=&typ=
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 10:36   #43
cruiser

any updates on this guy?
Old 20-12-2019, 10:55   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

"Leading yacht broker," a photo of all those gleaming yachts, and then "Satisfied Customers" are all in run-abouts and he doesn't list anything over 31' in his inventory? I smell a skunk.
Old 20-12-2019, 12:45   #45

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

If there's anything I've learned about Florida, it's absolutely full of thieves.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, boat