Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2023, 16:44   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Another “What Boatyard/Marina” Thread - Northeast USA

Thinking ahead to spring. Planning.

I need a boatyard/marina from NJ to Maine with the following features:

*can handle a 25ft beam (crane ok, trailer ok, travelift not necessary but ok)
*willing to haul me early spring
*allows me to do all work: bottom paint, sand filler for topside repairs, roll paint on topsides
*allows me to stay there to do the work - hotels not in budget
*reasonable price would be nice
*need a month on the hard most likely

Any suggestions?

Tried last summer but it was busy season so no good
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 04:38   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Another “What Boatyard/Marina” Thread - Northeast USA

Give Shaw's Boat Yard in Dighton, MA, a call. They haul a lot of cats either via trailer or crane, let you do your own work, and are reasonably close to useful services like a hardware store, groceries, etc. They have bathrooms with showers. You'll need dust capture sanding equipment. A lot warmer than even southern Maine, but how early is "early?" IMHO, anything earlier than May is usually a washout in terms of trying to get serious repairs and painting done. Frankly, I have had better luck getting such a haulout in June or July after most of the boats are in the water, and when the weather is much better for working.
Old 28-12-2023, 06:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Give Shaw's Boat Yard in Dighton, MA, a call. They haul a lot of cats either via trailer or crane, let you do your own work, and are reasonably close to useful services like a hardware store, groceries, etc. They have bathrooms with showers. You'll need dust capture sanding equipment. A lot warmer than even southern Maine, but how early is "early?" IMHO, anything earlier than May is usually a washout in terms of trying to get serious repairs and painting done. Frankly, I have had better luck getting such a haulout in June or July after most of the boats are in the water, and when the weather is much better for working.

that’s a good one! And definitely on my list.

I can capture the sanding. I would have to just in case I hit some epoxy. So I will be diligently vacuuming up any sanding debris as it’s created.

good point about earlier than May. most yards will be packed full of boats for winter storage still and I won’t be able to find a spot. That makes sense. Once they start dropping some in the water, things will open up.

I guess what I mean by early is just as early in the year as they can get me out of the water and give me a spot. Just because I don’t want to miss the summer. Painting will be hit or miss until the temperatures increase in June. You’re right. May has potential but probably not as certain as June. Maybe that’s what I should shoot for.

I would probably look to spend an entire month out of the water so I could get done with everything. It would be a good time to build my sail control table off the boat as well. Too much goo involved in that to do it while I am living on the boat and having it in here kicking off. i’ve become ridiculously sensitive to all sorts of resins now.

which kind of brings me to a side question. for cabinetry, I want to do the lightest weight panels that are somewhat budget friendly and do not involve resin. They could involve standard glue or contact cement. These things flash off quickly or don’t feel very toxic. But not the esters or epoxy. Anyone have ideas on what I could do for that? looking to keep toxicity as low as possible. The less I’m around that stuff the better my health is.

i’m going to try to set up the rest of the running rigging very early in the spring as soon as the weather is reasonable to be out on the deck. Turning blocks. Deck organizers. New ball bearings for my main sale track. Set up the main sheet. Reefing system. figure out why a halyard is stuck at the top of the mast Etc.
Old 28-12-2023, 08:36   #4

This is going to be a tall order in early spring. Most of the yards will be full of boats. It's been my experience that they don't usually like to haul anyone because now you are in the way for launching.

You'd have better luck in June when all the boats are launched. I'm not saying, don't try, or that you won't find something. I'm just suggesting that it will be a challenge.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 08:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
This is going to be a tall order in early spring. Most of the yards will be full of boats. It's been my experience that they don't usually like to haul anyone because now you are in the way for launching.

You'd have better luck in June when all the boats are launched. I'm not saying, don't try, or that you won't find something. I'm just suggesting that it will be a challenge.
OK. Yeah you and Kettlewell both brought up a good point about that.

maybe what I will do is try to work with the marina. Just be flexible and ask them when they would like to haul me.

I can stand by and wait until they have just the right moment when they have moved all of the other boats out. June. Like you are saying.
Old 28-12-2023, 12:02   #6

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Norwalk Cove Marina...Norwalk Connecticut... checks all of your boxes
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 12:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRELOS View Post
Norwalk Cove Marina...Norwalk Connecticut... checks all of your boxes
thanks for the tip. Giving them a try.

Also getting in touch with shaw’s again
Old 28-12-2023, 14:50   #8

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Nothing in Guilford, CT - just too big....but checking with a friend who keeps his boat in Branford, CT at Dutch's BY...seeing if their lift can accommodate your beam. I know they allow you to do your own work. Back to you in a bit.. thnks PS..same observation here in May & early June...yards are backed up trying to launch boats
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 17:08   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If you end up in Norwalk and need any local connections for something, let me know, as I have some friends and family in the area (including one with a boat in the area).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 04:05   #10

Thanks, guys. The places haven’t gotten back to me but of course everything is probably close this week. And there’s no rush there are a few months left before I can do this
Old 29-12-2023, 13:29   #11

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Chotu, forget about Dutch's BY in Branford, CT. There lift can only accommodate beams of 20 ft or less...good luck in your hunt for a temporary home along our Long Island Sound.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 15:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Chotu, forget about Dutch's BY in Branford, CT. There lift can only accommodate beams of 20 ft or less...good luck in your hunt for a temporary home along our Long Island Sound.
Ok, thank you very much for checking!

Tags
boat, USA