Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2023, 17:00   #1

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Miami — Collins Canal dinghy dock removed

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article283254588.html

Pretty awful move from local politicians. They're supposedly after "boat squatters" but it sure impacts regular cruisers.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2023, 17:24   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Miami — Collins Canal dinghy dock removed

Nooooooo!

that is one of the most important stops.

but I can’t blame them. Have you seen the people in the Anchorage over there?

it’s probably a lot more important to everyone that lives around there to get them out of there than it is to cater to a few transient boaters who they don’t owe anything to.

I have felt less than safe on that dock before. Thanks to my anchorage neighbors

it sure was great while it lasted. Although I didn’t enjoy the cockroach I got from that Publix. lol

Florida: you changed
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2023, 18:39   #3

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

That was our provisioning spot fourteen times for departure to the Bahamas after coming down from North Carolina in January and February. It is a shame.

We never had any problem with the local anchored boaters or with the street people. In fact, they freely gave us useful advice and direction.

We have seen the steady withdrawal of dinghy and anchoring privileges over the last almost 20 years with the loss of dinghy access from near Sunset Lake, to the loss of the Sunset Lake anchorage to the loss of the bad weather anchorages between the Venetian Islands, to the loss of Collins Canal dinghy access at Alton, to all the Sea Tow tow away signs, to sporadic on-the-water harrassment...

www.Irish-Eyes-to-the-Bahamas.blogspot.com
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2023, 19:21   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

on that dinghy dock, one of the less savory anchor neighbors was talking with his friend about which boat to rob and they were talking about mine!! but they came to the conclusion that it was the kind of boat that probably had cameras so they should try a different one
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2023, 22:25   #5

FYI, you can still (for now) tie up to the concrete wall there and hop up. I shopped at Publix yesterday and a half dozen dinghies were tied up to the wall. It's a bit precarious getting your groceries down into the boat from the wall.
I met a couple of local live-aboards and they were very friendly and helpful. It's not all criminals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231220_215743606.MP.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	450.2 KB
ID:	284615  
Old 27-12-2023, 16:43   #6

One more tidbit about shore access in Miami as 2023 comes to a close... Since the public dinghy dock near the Dinner Key Marina is closed pending a rebuild of the boat ramp, and since Dinner Key Marina doesn't offer day use rates for dinghy dock use... There is a public dinghy dock in Kennedy Park, about a quarter mile northeast of the Dinner Key Marina. It says no overnight docking, but it's open sunrise to sunset. You can leave the dinghy there and go into Coconut Grove for shopping and restaurants. There's a Fresh Market in walking distance. So far, this is the best legal shore access I've found.
Around Marine Stadium there are signs saying you can't even anchor your boat overnight. But of course about 50 to 75 boats are there every day and night.... I learned that the solution for shore access in the stadium is: you can't drag your dinghy up on shore, but you can anchor it just a few feet offshore. So that's what everyone does.

Tags
canal, dinghy, dock, miami