Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2021, 09:10   #301

Re: Sailing is for Rich People only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Theory View Post
I am fed up. Today at our sailing club it was brought to my attention that since I am not Rich, I will never be able to afford to become a "Real Sailor." Granted I know that based on my income I will never be able to afford a cruising sailing vessel. It just irks me to no end that these "Rich" people who can afford any yacht that they want can judge me and look down on me as a low class unworthy individual. I realize now why people say that sailing is only for the Rich and powerful people. I apologize for venting. Now that I know my place in society, I need to find a new qoal in life.

Tell you what, about 6 years ago we bought our first ‘big boat’- a 1979 Mariner 28, a life long dream for me. Paid a whopping 5k for it, and not much of a bargain at that. I was so proud of that boat! Then the broker launched it for us at a rather tony marina. The first time I saw it sitting there among all the 6 figure boats with their shiny white hulls and towering masts I nearly cried I was so embarrassed.

But you know, that year on a sunny Father’s Day all 5 of my kids came with us as together we sailed away from that marina with its shiny dock queens, every one of which were sitting empty and unused. I never wasted another minute being jealous of others’ boats after that.

Time and family are greater wealth then any number in a bank account.
dreadpiratk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:16   #302
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadpiratk View Post
Tell you what, about 6 years ago we bought our first ‘big boat’- a 1979 Mariner 28, a life long dream for me.

I got a kick of of it
Old 03-03-2021, 10:18   #303
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Just curious what the 'very personal question' was that got asked. Surely it wasn't "what kind of boat do you own?" Given the nature of this forum, it's fair to ask the credentials when an author is speaking authoritatively. Otherwise it would seem like a keyboard jockey run amuck.

Peter
No, it was about some supposed "chosen lifestyle" of mine, which some guy made a false assumption about. Oh...wait...belay that, just noticed
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:00   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post
No, it was about some supposed "chosen lifestyle" of mine, which some guy made a false assumption about. Oh...wait...belay that, just noticed
As an observation, I interpreted the comment to be about your tone of defensiveness, not your life or lifestyle. In fairness, your tone does come off as defensive, even angry sometimes. There were some very negative characterizations in your posts. About how no one (especially 'our admirals') would want to live in such poor conditions of no hot water, no A/C, no marinas, no electronics, no fridge, no toilet, no ice, etc. Many enjoy a more basic cruising experience, and some may go to extremes, But to represent the extremes is a gross assumption.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:49   #305
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing is for Rich People only

Quote:
'Some guy' here..
Considering the vigor with which you were defending your position it was a natural conclusion that should you go cruising/voyaging that is how you would choose to do it.
I on the other hand was stating the way I have done it in the past comfortably and how such voyaging could be managed on a small boat with limited tankage.
If this offended you.. Boatman61 says sorry..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:53   #306
cruiser

Poll OP suggestion: perhaps the best way to resolve the raging controversy about whether it could be considered a 'negative characterization' to mention my empirically based observation that most of the admirals prefer hot, fresh water to bathe in , rather than sea water, would be to poll them on that point. I promise to stick by the results. I dont even it could be considered as sexist because I think most men prefer it too.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:56   #307
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
'Some guy' here..
Considering the vigor with which you were defending your position it was a natural conclusion that should you go cruising/voyaging that is how you would choose to do it.
I on the other hand was stating the way I have done it in the past comfortably and how such voyaging could be managed on a small boat with limited tankage.
If this offended you.. Boatman61 says sorry..
Fair enough, I dont mind admitting that im like most people in that i prefer to bathe in hot , fresh water, instead of seawater. Im surprised its so controversial.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:05   #308

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
In the tropics, going below to shower means running A/C and a lot of other stuff. Even on an expensive yacht, many people take sea water bathes then use fresh water to wash down. It makes more sense, and it feels great.
On some boats, but I acknowledge ours is very much in the minority
The only thing below on ours is engine and storage
Everything else is well ventilated and above deck, no A/c required or even installed
Saying that, I wouldn't say no to A/c in the ER.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 13:15   #309

Here is what one guy had to say about all this (who not only said it, but lived it).

Quote:
“To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea... "cruising" it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by, The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life? ”
― Sterling Hayden, Wanderer

Old 03-03-2021, 13:47   #310

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it.

But I see, looking at your avatar, that even you, choose more.

While that worked for me in my youth, sharing a wet bilge with my beloved in a clearly inadequate boat soon saw changes being made.
Either she was out , or she stayed and a better boat was in
I chose the latter.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 13:48   #311

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Fair enough, I dont mind admitting that im like most people in that i prefer to bathe in hot , fresh water, instead of seawater. Im surprised its so controversial.
Most people don't have the gumption to go cruising at all. Those who have the calling will do whatever it takes to realize their dream. Perhaps you don't have the calling... if you did, you would understand what Boatie and others are telling you.

Jim
Old 03-03-2021, 14:35   #312
lyl

Some selfied on top of the Everest, some jumped on the surface of the Moon and decided to play golf while they were there just for the heck of it, some touched whales and looked into their eyes while holding their breath, some sailed around the World, some conquered the faraway lands riding their tired horses, some breathed the ice cold air standing on the North Pole, and a long list of great achievements of a brave few went on and on... In the meantime, majority sat in their armchairs a few feet away from their hot showers in their cozy homes and watched THE amazing show on their televisions.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 15:20   #313
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Most people don't have the gumption to go cruising at all. Those who have the calling will do whatever it takes to realize their dream. Perhaps you don't have the calling... if you did, you would understand what Boatie and others are telling you.

Jim
I fully agree with you that "most people dont have the gumption to go sailing at all". But I wasnt talking about people who DONT go sailing , but about those that DO. In this latter group, most prefer to bathe in hot, freh water instead of seawater. But I wouldnt mind seeing a poll on the point. If most in this forum prefer cold seawater, Ill admit I was wrong.
Old 03-03-2021, 15:22   #314

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
Some selfied on top of the Everest, some jumped on the surface of the Moon and decided to play golf while they were there just for the heck of it, some touched whales and looked into their eyes while holding their breath, some sailed around the World, some conquered the faraway lands riding their tired horses, some breathed the ice cold air standing on the North Pole, and a long list of great achievements of a brave few went on and on... In the meantime, majority sat in their armchairs a few feet away from their hot showers in their cozy homes and watched THE amazing show on their televisions.

And sometimes these days folks do both!

No need to sit around staring at the water at the end of the day when you can have Netflicks or a DVD.

Which is why my $2,000 cruising sailboat has multiple computers, monitors, HDTV, and a hotspot when in range.

Here's Michelle Dockery (from Barking, Essex, England, UK) in a classic Western called Godless. IMBD rating 8.3

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 15:24   #315
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
And sometimes these days folks do both!

No need to sit around staring at the water when you can have Netflicks.

Here's Michelle Dockery (from Barking, Essex, England, UK) in Godless. IMBD rating 8.3

Thanks for corrobortating what I said, and good to see another guy with a sense of humor!

Tags
sail, sailing