Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2022, 18:04   #61

Re: Urgent request from local boaters

We’re just gonna let this guy try to con one of us into aiding and abetting him in a felony for 88 dollars?
I’m not risking by b-hole or less importantly my life for someone willing to pony up 88 dollars to get ‘everything’ back.

If any of you need 88 dollars that bad I suggest starting a OnlyFans …
MasterBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 18:24   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
I will tell you what I would do. Nobody has mentioned the reality of mexico yet.

Go to the border, attempt to enter mexico, that is not illegal.
If I got into mexico I would go see the official who has eyes on the boat and thank him very much for all his help and assistance....and slip him $200.

I would then go aboard and take the vessel offshore at 2am....leave mexico...return to the US.

You do what you want to do.

No response to all the righteous about to hate on reality.
He’s offering 88 dollars for this cockamamie plan to get his boat back, you think he has 200 to bribe a federale with?
MasterBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 19:23   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
It's anyone's guess what happened. Asking for help doesn't obligate the OP to satisfy our curiosity about what seems to be an extraordinary situation.

So, my guess(es). Since he only has 1700 pesos, I conclude that he did not just enter Mexico, but had been there a while. Perhaps much further south. Maybe living aboard, and having managed to fit in for a while without being there legally. Maybe he bought a boat in Mexico and never did the paperwork, and hoped to get it North. Maybe he isn't an experienced sailor, but a drifter who after moving to Mexico moved aboard a boat. Maybe he does have some other criminal past.

So, he gets in his boat and head north, doesn't know how to navigate or know how close to the US he is. Is single handed and gets tired and drops anchor. Goes to shore, for rest/water/whatever. Now he is in trouble.

Those are only guesses, without any additional information. The OP doesn't have to share that with us, but certainly, anyone would be foolish to help him without knowing more about how he got where he is.
Why speculate when the OP can easily answer questions. If he is posting a situation and asking for help, he should be subject to questions. Anyone willing to volunteer assistance is due details.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 19:35   #64
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

If I were an American citizen and living in San Diego, I might be tempted to do a day trip to Tijuana just to have a look from the beach for an unattended sail boat, have beer and go home again.

Presumably there isn't a boat there now so I'd ask around to see if any of the local beachside businesses remember seeing one 4 days ago...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 19:42   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
It's anyone's guess what happened. Asking for help doesn't obligate the OP to satisfy our curiosity about what seems to be an extraordinary situation.
Of course, there is no way to enforce it but yes, when you ask for help, providing people the full back story is a reasonable expectation, so they can provide useful help and don't get caught up in something unexpected.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 19:55   #66
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Well, he didn’t get much help… mostly accusations and ridicule.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 19:58   #67
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The dude was looking for a criminal accomplice to help bail him out of his, "I'm a complete loser" predicament. Maybe you think he deserved more than accusations and ridicule, but the rest of us did not.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 20:29   #68

Quote:
That's the point. If there was a good reason for being in this situation, providing details may have given people ideas on how they could help.

When you tell a weird story that makes no sense and then sidestep answering details, all while asking for help to do something illegal, how exactly were we supposed to provide useful help?
Old 03-12-2022, 20:35   #69

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Exactly.

So no explanation from him required in the “explanation for help “ payment scheme outlined above

I mean I’ve done the exact same thing. Only I didn’t get caught.

I popped over into Canada for the night when Detroit was looking very annoying from the water and the sun was going down after a long day heading from Mackinaw.

Saw a nice, quiet, clean place to dock for the night on the “other side” and did so. Nobody was around at the docks. No one around at all. Left in the morning.

Could have easily ended up just like the op.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 06:13   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
The dude was looking for a criminal accomplice to help bail him out of his, "I'm a complete loser" predicament. Maybe you think he deserved more than accusations and ridicule, but the rest of us did not.
At least you admit breaking forum rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
That's the point. If there was a good reason for being in this situation, providing details may have given people ideas on how they could help.

When you tell a weird story that makes no sense and then sidestep answering details, all while asking for help to do something illegal, how exactly were we supposed to provide useful help?
Well, I did.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:20   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
.... I’ve done the exact same thing. Only I didn’t get caught.

I popped over into Canada for the night when Detroit was looking very annoying from the water and the sun was going down after a long day heading from Mackinaw.

Could have easily ended up just like the op.
You didn't do the exact same thing. You apparently didn't come to the attention of authorities, and you left with your boat ASAP.

And you weren't destitute like the OP apparently is. And I suspect there are many other differences in your two situations. Like exactly why they were deported.

One should be suspicious about anonymous requests to help someone illegally re-enter a country that they were just deported from. Hey, while there could you pick up this film-wrapped parcel from my aunt in Columbia?

Props to anyone who have offered sympathy and suggestions to the OP... but if we're counselling abuse of some pretty open borders, should we be surprised when the same borders become harder to cross?

[ Jedi - are you suggesting that breaking CF comment rules is serious, but aiding a stranger to illegally enter a foreign country is not a big deal? ]
Old 04-12-2022, 08:42   #72
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

hats the issue you hire a delivery skipper , provied him or her with a letter of authorization an he takes the vessel where ever you want

thi s presupposes the vessel is not in lock down
Old 04-12-2022, 10:18   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
[ Jedi - are you suggesting that breaking CF comment rules is serious, but aiding a stranger to illegally enter a foreign country is not a big deal? ]
You must have confused my help suggestions with those of someone else.

Old 04-12-2022, 13:12   #74

Quote:
You must have confused my help suggestions with those of someone else.
I wasn't making any reference to your suggestion, just the interesting juxtaposition of breaking CF rules vs breaking another country's rules.

Your suggestion doesn't involve someone else also breaking laws, but it was counselling the OP to do what likely is illegal. I make no comment on whether it would pragmatic or rational, or likely to succeed, given the situation.
Old 04-12-2022, 16:10   #75

Quote:
Well, I did.
That may be what you claim but apparently, the boat is still in Mexico and he's still deported...so did you?

Tags
boat, cal