Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2022, 10:59   #91

Boat: Freedom 40/40
Re: Urgent request from local boaters

The probability of this not being a con/troll/someone not playing with a full deck is less than my anchoring off the beach in Phoenix, AZ and being deported to San Diego.

However, it did generate 7 pages of replies, thousands of page views, and a discussion of Mexican customs and laws, so at least something was achieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post

Early, I suggested finding someone to do a drive-by and he could swim the last few hundred yards. Others suggested he just walk across the border and fetch his boat. He wasn't interested. Honestly, I don't know what he wanted - both of those were 95% solutions.
Free2Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:09   #92

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free2Sail View Post
The probability of this not being a con/troll/someone not playing with a full deck is less than my anchoring off the beach in Phoenix, AZ and being deported to San Diego.
I don't think you said what you thought you said in this sentence. Just saying!
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:26   #93

Boat: Freedom 40/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
I don't think you said what you thought you said in this sentence. Just saying!
I think I did: the probability that the OP's request was reality-based is extremely low.
Free2Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 13:07   #94

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Just hire a delivery skipper
For 1700 pesos? Yea, right!

Al, S/V Finlandia
svfinlandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:35   #95

Boat: 2003 Corsair 31R

Just cross at one of the land crossings to TJ - no documents or check in needed or requested. You could even cross at Tecate and as long as you are in the area near the border no official import docs for the vehicle or immigration documents for you required. Go to coast where your boat is located. Get a local Mexican with a boat to take you to your boat preferably incognito at night. Under the cover of darkness sail to San Diego or wherever.

BTW I know Mexico, I am Mexican from the DF. Things in Mexico rarely work according to the letter of the law and everyone in Mexico knows that. It would be good to have some cash on you to grease skids if necessary, do not let too many people get involved as it will get more and more difficult and more expensive. However, I doubt you can get this all done for $1700 MN (less than $100 usd) but possible if you find nice people and all goes smoothly.

Now if you you were deported for something serious there will probably be eyes on your boat waiting for your return. Then it will be like a James Bond movie escape. Its funny listening to the many opinions here from people who obviously have little if any knowledge of Mexico and the border zone. Best of luck and if this post is BS... well I just wasted 10 minutes typing this.
Esteban1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:46   #96

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Since the guy has very little money, I would say he may have been down there to pick something up and bring back, but he got snagged when he landed. Maybe the boat is loaded with guns or drugs, or something worse.

Anyone getting involved in that is putting themselves at risk, no doubt about it. Innocently dropping him off at his boat, at night, and as soon as he steps foot on it, the floodlights come on and the police sweep in and haul you all to jail, then you find out later what he was transporting.

Yea, it does sound like a movie. Maybe he can create an explosive distraction in a dumpster in the town someplace, and while that is happening, he dons some scuba gear and swims over to the boat, like a shadow, and quietly departs. He has to cross the US border before the three mexican dhingies snag him.. will he make it?
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:17   #97

Boat: 2003 Corsair 31R

I once spent 2 years traveling on motorcycle in South America. So many people who did not know me were kind, friendly and generous in spite of my huge beard, non groomed appearance and infrequent showers. Learning not to be suspicious of everything and everyone is a good lesson in life. Yes you do expose yourself but the alternative is a world I do not prefer. Americans and people who watch a lot of TV / news understandably tend to be very suspicious of things.
Esteban1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 19:57   #98

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
Since the guy has very little money, I would say he may have been down there to pick something up and bring back, but he got snagged when he landed. Maybe the boat is loaded with guns or drugs, or something worse.

Anyone getting involved in that is putting themselves at risk, no doubt about it. Innocently dropping him off at his boat, at night, and as soon as he steps foot on it, the floodlights come on and the police sweep in and haul you all to jail, then you find out later what he was transporting.

Yea, it does sound like a movie. Maybe he can create an explosive distraction in a dumpster in the town someplace, and while that is happening, he dons some scuba gear and swims over to the boat, like a shadow, and quietly departs. He has to cross the US border before the three mexican dhingies snag him.. will he make it?

Is a tuxedo under the wetsuit mandatory?
ChrisJHC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 20:13   #99

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Next time I misplace a boat full of drugs and guns off the beach in Tijuana remind me not to look for help on internet forums…
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 22:35   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDarlin View Post
In my experience the US govt folk dont care and are disdainful about MX vessel paperwork. Stop at the police dock in San Diego and call US customs. They do care about smuggling and immigration.
Assuming no contraband aboard and he's a US citizen on a US boat...He may have to spend a few hours explaining things but if he gets to US waters, he should be fine.

It's the entering Mexico after being deported and likely impoundment of the boat before he leave Mexican waters where the sticking point is.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 22:38   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban1955 View Post
I once spent 2 years traveling on motorcycle in South America. So many people who did not know me were kind, friendly and generous in spite of my huge beard, non groomed appearance and infrequent showers. Learning not to be suspicious of everything and everyone is a good lesson in life. Yes you do expose yourself but the alternative is a world I do not prefer. Americans and people who watch a lot of TV / news understandably tend to be very suspicious of things.
So you were deported from several of these S. American countries and potentially involved in other illegal activities?

People are nice in most countries if you aren't causing problems (I agree by the way Mexicans in general are pretty nice and helpful folks).

You are conflating appearing grungy (of course for all we know, the OP may be a well groomed and dapper deportee) with being in violation of some form of Mexican customs & immigration rules.
Old 06-12-2022, 22:40   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban1955 View Post
Just cross at one of the land crossings to TJ - no documents or check in needed or requested. You could even cross at Tecate and as long as you are in the area near the border no official import docs for the vehicle or immigration documents for you required. Go to coast where your boat is located. Get a local Mexican with a boat to take you to your boat preferably incognito at night. Under the cover of darkness sail to San Diego or wherever.
And if your midnight caper works and you reach US waters...great.

But if it doesn't...1700pesos isn't likely to make things better
Old 07-12-2022, 00:13   #103

Boat: Jeanneau 349

I am surprised no one has done a sail by just to see if this is real. I would have but my boat is currently getting some work done.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:03   #104
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
I am surprised no one has done a sail by just to see if this is real. I would have but my boat is currently getting some work done.
It’s all talk and no walk here kn CF. I doubt for many that they even have a boat

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 13:01   #105

The boat is in Tijuana. There really is no Anchorage there, so I am pretty sure there are no boats there to do it sail by
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cal