Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2022, 17:36   #76

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Urgent request from local boaters

Why does this story remind me of The Beach Boys song “Sloop John B”?
https://www.songfacts.com/lyrics/the...s/sloop-john-b
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 21:52   #77
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I wasn't making any reference to your suggestion, just the interesting juxtaposition of breaking CF rules vs breaking another country's rules.

Your suggestion doesn't involve someone else also breaking laws, but it was counselling the OP to do what likely is illegal. I make no comment on whether it would pragmatic or rational, or likely to succeed, given the situation.
Haha I know you want to get to that point, but “Jedi are you suggesting…” sounds very much like you were referencing my suggestion

Iirc, I did not tell the OP to do something illegal? After he assured us that it was legal for him to go get his boat, with the full weight of the US government behind that, I merely suggested what I may do in that case

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:27   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Haha I know you want to get to that point, but “Jedi are you suggesting…” sounds very much like you were referencing my suggestion
A for effort, but you know I was referring to what your linked post was suggesting, not your specific suggestion to the OP.
Quote:
Iirc, I did not tell the OP to do something illegal? After he assured us that it was legal for him to go get his boat, with the full weight of the US government behind that, I merely suggested what I may do in that case
The Mexican government might disagree. Just a hunch.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:54   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Perfect example of why the OP needs to provide more info if he is to get actual useful advice and isn't just trolling.

We have no idea who he talked to. We don't know if he talked to the US or Mexican consulate, it could be the Kirgizstan consulate that he called for all we know.

But common sense says it's a really bad idea for a guy deported from Mexico for some unknown infraction (possibly full blown crime) to sneak back in and try to extradite a boat that is likely at least officially impounded (even if not actually chained to a dock) by the Mexican authorities (unclear which branch of Mexican govt).

I can't see any scenario where anyone official in any consulate would seriously suggest sneaking across the boarder, then sneaking the boat out as a viable or legal option.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:17   #80
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Perfect example of why the OP needs to provide more info if he is to get actual useful advice and isn't just trolling.

We have no idea who he talked to. We don't know if he talked to the US or Mexican consulate, it could be the Kirgizstan consulate that he called for all we know.

But common sense says it's a really bad idea for a guy deported from Mexico for some unknown infraction (possibly full blown crime) to sneak back in and try to extradite a boat that is likely at least officially impounded (even if not actually chained to a dock) by the Mexican authorities (unclear which branch of Mexican govt).

I can't see any scenario where anyone official in any consulate would seriously suggest sneaking across the boarder, then sneaking the boat out as a viable or legal option.
You’re good, I must learn from your posts. When I say or insinuate someone is lying, my posts gets deleted, but you put in multiple safeguards against that, while at the same time you call him a liar just the same

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:34   #81

For some reason I’m not feeling an urge to help a fellow sailor. Bad luck is one thing, bad decisions are another…..
Vivere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:51   #82

I would take someone with me who speaks fluent Spanish.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:15   #83

Boat: Gemini 105mc

Can this dude simply not go back to Mexico legally?

This doesn't sound like a scam, it just sounds like someone who really isn't responsible enough to be on a boat trying to solve half assery with more half assery.
qwerme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:20   #84

It's hard to convey just how improbable this person's story is. Anchoring off Playas de Tijuana is incredibly unlikely - it's a straight stretch of open beach with 50+ feet of deep water outside the surfline (and there are often surfers). Nearest anchorage is San Diego 12-nms to the north; or Ensenada 65 nms to the south.

I go back and forth on whether it was a scam or a delusional person.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PLayas de Tijuana.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	268361
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:28   #85

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

In my experience the US govt folk dont care and are disdainful about MX vessel paperwork. Stop at the police dock in San Diego and call US customs. They do care about smuggling and immigration.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:38   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerme View Post
Can this dude simply not go back to Mexico legally?

This doesn't sound like a scam, it just sounds like someone who really isn't responsible enough to be on a boat trying to solve half assery with more half assery.
Yes, he can. I’m late to this thread but the misinformation posted here is so egregious it’s ridiculous. Now, I agree, the OP didn’t give much info and his situation is odd at best but only a few actually provided useful info and none any help. Sad state for the boating community this is supposed to be.

To be straight, it is not illegal to cross into Mexican waters from the US. You do not need a zarpe, not sure where you’d get one in the US. As long as you do not land you can ply Mexican waters as long as you care to. How to you think all those fishing head down there from San Diego?

The guy needed a 10 mile ride to his boat, that is all. I hope it survived at anchor as it’s an open roadstead there.
rsysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:50   #87
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsysol View Post
To be straight, it is not illegal to cross into Mexican waters from the US
The guy was deported from Mexico. You're telling us he can just walk or sail back into that country at will?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:38   #88

Waiting to hear more. Contact latitude38 magazine. They know a lot about Mexico
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:03   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsysol View Post
Yes, he can. I’m late to this thread but the misinformation posted here is so egregious it’s ridiculous. Now, I agree, the OP didn’t give much info and his situation is odd at best but only a few actually provided useful info and none any help. Sad state for the boating community this is supposed to be.

To be straight, it is not illegal to cross into Mexican waters from the US. You do not need a zarpe, not sure where you’d get one in the US. As long as you do not land you can ply Mexican waters as long as you care to. How to you think all those fishing head down there from San Diego?

The guy needed a 10 mile ride to his boat, that is all. I hope it survived at anchor as it’s an open roadstead there.
Maybe you missed the part where he offered pesos, his last cache of money. Reasonable to infer he was headed north and that he'd been in Mexico long enoigh to need a TIP and a Zarpe, though unclear if that had anything to do with his predicament (but in the absence of better info, high on the list).

Perhaps you also missed the part where he stated he was deported and separated from his boat. So its also reasonable to assume he had run afoul of law enforcement. I'm guessing Mexico doesn't deport many people.

Personally, I think it rude of the guy to seek help without giving relevant information. I think your defense of him (and criticism of folks who responded) out of bounds.

Early, I suggested finding someone to do a drive-by and he could swim the last few hundred yards. Others suggested he just walk across the border and fetch his boat. He wasn't interested. Honestly, I don't know what he wanted - both of those were 95% solutions.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:05   #90

Boat: currently boatless and looking

I live in Mx...MANY Americans get deported for over-staying their visa.
FoxIslander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cal