Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2023, 19:59   #31
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Titanic tourist submersible goes missing

Banging noises are heard every 30 minutes now.
If confirmed they could be alive and stuck on the bottom but the clock is ticking.
Old 20-06-2023, 20:10   #32

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
They take a calculated risk rather than living a life sitting on the couch watching TV. This is much like cruising sailors that cross oceans, or explore remote areas in a small sailboat. Many cannot understand this lifestyle.

Sometimes things go wrong.

Lets wish our fellow mariners all the best for a safe and speedy recovery.
And speaking about that calculation, looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamish_Harding the adventures that were on the menu and which have in the meantime been completed collectively presented quite a realistic chance of 'something going wrong sometime'. He sure would have done the calculation too. Doesn't take away from the horror of this current experience though.

Personally I would not accept the risk, principally based on the sub being bolted shut from the outside. And yes it does always surprise, the global shock with such an (admittedly potentially horrific) event compared to the human beings, many presumably women & kids, ending in their own tomb off Greece earning just slightly more than a global shrug.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 20:40   #33

Boat: Bene 42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Banging noises are heard every 30 minutes now.
If confirmed they could be alive and stuck on the bottom but the clock is ticking.
Who is reporting this? I haven’t seen any reports that banging noises have been heard.
Hhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 20:55   #34
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hhew View Post
Who is reporting this? I haven’t seen any reports that banging noises have been heard.
Here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ms-Reveal.html
Old 21-06-2023, 12:14   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
They take a calculated risk rather than living a life sitting on the couch watching TV. This is much like cruising sailors that cross oceans, or explore remote areas in a small sailboat. Many cannot understand this lifestyle.

Sometimes things go wrong.

Lets wish our fellow mariners all the best for a safe and speedy recovery.
Sadly, though, this risk may not have been properly calculated, if reports are correct. Did the passengers calculate these items?
1. The viewport was only certified to 1300 meters. (Titanic is at 3800 meters)
2. Their deep sea modem was very unreliable, frequently failing for hours at a time on different dives.
3. The experimental hull exhibited "cyclical fatigue" that had to be repaired/rebuilt in 2021.

https://techcrunch.com/2023/06/20/a-...-he-was-fired/
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2023, 12:55   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Titanic tourist submersible goes missing

What gets me is the US Coastguard refusing help from a Brit organisation with a sub that is proven it's capability twice.
First offer made on Monday and they've been on standby ever since.

The US Coastguard has rejected an offer of help from a UK firm which experts say may provide the "best hope" of finding the missing Titanic submarine, as the window of opportunity to rescue the five onboard rapidly closes.

British company Magellan Limited has had a deep-sea submersible craft “ready to support” the rescue mission since early on Monday, with the ability to reach depths of 6,000 metres and prior experience of visiting the Titanic wreckage site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0f1b61f0-c5a8-37a9-85d6-8af2a6da94c0-1200x900.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	277086  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2023, 22:33   #37

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
What gets me is the US Coastguard refusing help from a Brit organisation with a sub that is proven it's capability twice.

The US Coastguard has rejected an offer of help from a UK firm which experts say may provide the "best hope" of finding the missing Titanic submarine, as the window of opportunity to rescue the five onboard rapidly closes.

British company Magellan Limited has had a deep-sea submersible craft “ready to support” the rescue mission since early on Monday, with the ability to reach depths of 6,000 metres and prior experience of visiting the Titanic wreckage site.
Agree, seems strange, they would need to supply the logistics though and I wonder if someone thinks it's to late to arrive/other stuff is faster on site?
Could the British government not have offered the transport?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-06-2023, 22:48   #38

Quote:

And do what? Even IF they could deploy and get to the site in time they then have to search a very large ocean to even locate the missing sub. Supposing they were incredibly lucky to locate it before the oxygen supply ran out, they don't have the capability to recover the sub, even if it was intact. This is most likely why the CG refused the muli million dollar offer of assistance.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 01:43   #39

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Thanking about the oxygen running out, I’m wondering how do they scrub up the CO2 anyway?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 01:59   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Thanking about the oxygen running out, I’m wondering how do they scrub up the CO2 anyway?
They just pass the air through a material that absorbs co2 like lime but it doesn't replenish the oxygen, they need carry an oxygen supply so it's a simple and accurate calculation to determine the survival time.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 03:09   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsnall View Post
And do what? Even IF they could deploy and get to the site in time they then have to search a very large ocean to even locate the missing sub. Supposing they were incredibly lucky to locate it before the oxygen supply ran out, they don't have the capability to recover the sub, even if it was intact. This is most likely why the CG refused the muli million dollar offer of assistance.
As to what they could do I am not sure, however, unlike Titan which is basically just a viewng platform.. Magellan is a functioning work vessel that has recovered artifacts from the Titanic on past dives so methinks if it would be useless down there the owners would not have stepped up.
As to whether it could have arrived in time, we'll never know.
As to your estimate of multi million costs.. do you have the estimate to hand.. or the costs to date???

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 22-06-2023, 03:16   #42

Quote:
As to what they could do I am not sure, however, unlike Titan which is basically just a viewng platform.. Magellan is a functioning work vessel that has recovered artifacts from the Titanic on past dives so methinks if it would be useless down there the owners would not have stepped up.
As to whether it could have arrived in time, we'll never know.
As to your estimate of multi million costs.. do you have the estimate to hand.. or the costs to date???
After all, it's on its way according to the BBC...

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-...ost_type=share
Old 22-06-2023, 04:08   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
After all, it's on its way according to the BBC...

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-...ost_type=share
Shame they weren't given the go Monday morning..

Old 22-06-2023, 04:18   #44
FTS

Boat: Catalina 25

Quote:
What gets me is the US Coastguard refusing help from a Brit organisation . . . and prior experience of visiting the Titanic wreckage site.
Interesting point.

Do you know if Magellan's vessel was tested and certified to any better standard than the Titan? It's pure speculation on my part but it's possible the USCG wasn't enthusiastic about having another marginal craft in the search area.
FTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 04:56   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Interesting point.

Do you know if Magellan's vessel was tested and certified to any better standard than the Titan? It's pure speculation on my part but it's possible the USCG wasn't enthusiastic about having another marginal craft in the search area.
Magellan is an ROV:

https://www.magellan.gg/