Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2024, 06:05   #46

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport
Re: Simplicity: Yacht Owners Feared Dead After Escapees Recaptured (Grenada)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
I find the tough guy post to be rather hard to believe...
Please don't post made up fairy tales on this thread, it distracts from the true core of the post, which is the tragic loss of two wonderful people...
Focus on the families loss and help them heal and possibly contribute to their gofundme page.
Grenada will deal with the legal aspects and deal with the criminals through the court system, as any civilized country would do.
Thanks for the thoughtful post. The fake macho BS of some members of CF is really hard to believe sometimes!
lestersails is offline   Reply
Old 06-03-2024, 07:03   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Video.

And link!

Suspect in Americans' Caribbean yacht hijacking shot during arrest, 2 others found hiding: reports
One of the three prison escapees from a Grenada jail who allegedly killed an American couple when they hijacked their yacht was shot during his arrest, local reports say.
Read in Fox News: https://apple.news/A8QCt49OYQBuZ4Sfc_NAghQ
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply
Old 06-03-2024, 07:36   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I remain curious about what PREVIPUS charges these guys were being held on.

If they were misdemeanors, that is one thing. If they were violent acts thar is another.

The genesis of the question is my wondering what would percipotate this attack. It almost sounds as if the perpetrators were running foe their lives.

I understand there is a 4th escapee charged with murder who has not been aprehended.. I assume he is actively being sheltered. It is a small island, small community. I find these events odd.
hpeer is offline   Reply
Old 11-03-2024, 06:54   #49

Apologies that this is behind a paywall, but it is a nice New York Times piece on the event, the arrests, and most importantly, a nice tribute to the good nature of the couple.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/07/w...da-murder.html
Old 11-03-2024, 13:56   #50

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

lestersails,

It is quite the best news article I have seen about this very sad event. Thank you for posting it.

Ann
Old 11-03-2024, 15:32   #51

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeden View Post
donrad that was not thailand that was the phillipines
It was also Thailand under Taksin. I was there.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply
Old 13-03-2024, 06:32   #52

This was posted on the Trawler Forum a few days ago, https://loosecannon.substack.com/p/g...killings-stoke.

Quote:
The hijack-killings of an American cruising couple at Grenada became somehow even more gruesome when island police confirmed that one of the alleged attackers, Atiba Stanisclau, had been charged with the rape of Kathy Brandel.

According to the Royal Grenada Police Force, Brandel, 71, and her husband Ralph Hendry, 66, had been anchored off a beach in the Caribbean island when three jail escapees hijacked their catamaran in the night and headed to the island of St. Vincent, raping Brandel, killing them both and throwing their bodies into the sea.

Stanisclau, Ron Mitchell and Treven Robertson were also charged with two counts of kidnapping and capital murder each. The fact that the charge is “capital murder” is a distinction significant in Grenada, which has kept death by hanging on the books, though it has not executed anyone since 1978.
The bodies of the Americans—first-time cruisers to the Caribbean—have not been found, and therefore forensic evidence was likely limited to whatever investigators found in the bloody interior of the catamaran. So, it may be inferred that the rape charge was based on statements given by one or more of the accused themselves.

Several news stories last week mentioned that the the men were cooperating with investigators. People magazine declared outright that the men had confessed. One report specified that only two of the three were talking. Police themselves have been thrifty with the details.

dannc is online now   Reply
Old 13-03-2024, 07:22   #53
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
This was posted on the Trawler Forum a few days ago, https://loosecannon.substack.com/p/g...killings-stoke.
Evil exists and we need to be ready to deal with it when it comes to us. Again and again cruisers stick their heads in the sand or even outright deny it and yet again and again these horrible things happen.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply
Old 13-03-2024, 12:46   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Evil exists and we need to be ready to deal with it when it comes to us. Again and again cruisers stick their heads in the sand or even outright deny it and yet again and again these horrible things happen.
Yep. Too many people look at the world as they want it exist vs what it is. Fantasy Land vs Reality Land. Now, I liked visiting Fantasy Land at the Magic Kingdom in Walk Disney World, but one has to eventually return to Reality Land.

I used to live in what is supposed to be one of the best cities in the country. There was a drug dealer next door, people driving drunk almost every night living on the other side, and a Russian woman in another house doing felony mail fraud. And this is what I knew about. You don't know what you don't know.

There was a registered child rapist in the neighborhood that everyone knew about. What people did not know was that he almost certainly had an accomplice who lived next door. The convicted offender took the fall for what they both did. So people took care around one guy but did not know that the other guy was a threat.

Then there were people running around in a car shooting at other vehicles, businesses, and people. Dozens and dozens of incidents. Thankfully, it was only a high powered pellet rifle but they came close to seriously injuring or killing a toddler. Most of this was kept quiet and out of the press...

It only takes ONE bad person to cause great harm. An area might be safe, or WAS safe, until that one person shows up.

Our current neighbor hood has been and is now quite safe. However, for a year or so, we had a guy selling drugs, and one of his friends, living in the neighborhood. All of the sudden certain houses were getting broken into or having attempted break ins. Gee who could it be? It stopped when the drug dealer disappeared, I think he was arrested for a warrant in a city hours away, and when his friend ambushed, with a 2x4, a woman out exercising. She got away safely and her attacker left the area.

As a cruiser, one is not going to have local knowledge like what I just mentioned. One might pick up on some things but they won't know much. I doubt most of the people in the subdivision knew about the uknown child rapist who had been living there for decades. Someone cruising ain't gonna have a clue.

So one takes simple steps to protect themselves.
  • Check out how the neighborhood looks.
  • How are people acting?
  • Are children out playing? Are they supervised?
  • Are woman and/or elderly people walking around alone?
  • Does one only see men out and about?
  • Does a place look busy with people out and about or does a place with lots of people living there look like a ghost town?
  • Is the place well kept or is there trash all over the place?
  • Is there graffiti?
  • Do buildings have security bars, doors, alarms, razor/barbed wire?
  • Are there groups of young people, especially teenagers and young men, hanging around?
  • Trust you instincts. If there are warning bells going off in your head, even though one does not know why, pay attention and make the bells go away.
  • A boat needs at least a way to prevent people from getting on board unnoticed. One can be well trained, well armed and experienced but if one is surprised, especially down below and in a berth, one is in deep doo doo.
  • Hopefully, the boat has been built to allow ventilation but prevent people from unknowingly entering. This really is not done often enough but should be. The barriers do not have to be such that they will keep out a determined attacker, or attackers, but stout enough to prevent one from being surprised and to buy time. Every boat I have seen is easily defendable from most likely attackers, IF one is not surprised.
  • How to defend one self I ain't touching with a 30 foot long boat hook. Though a boat hook is not a bad defensive weapon.
dannc is online now   Reply
Old 13-03-2024, 15:33   #55
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Yep. Too many people look at the world as they want it exist vs what it is. Fantasy Land vs Reality Land. Now, I liked visiting Fantasy Land at the Magic Kingdom in Walk Disney World, but one has to eventually return to Reality Land.

I used to live in what is supposed to be one of the best cities in the country. There was a drug dealer next door, people driving drunk almost every night living on the other side, and a Russian woman in another house doing felony mail fraud. And this is what I knew about. You don't know what you don't know.

There was a registered child rapist in the neighborhood that everyone knew about. What people did not know was that he almost certainly had an accomplice who lived next door. The convicted offender took the fall for what they both did. So people took care around one guy but did not know that the other guy was a threat.

Then there were people running around in a car shooting at other vehicles, businesses, and people. Dozens and dozens of incidents. Thankfully, it was only a high powered pellet rifle but they came close to seriously injuring or killing a toddler. Most of this was kept quiet and out of the press...

It only takes ONE bad person to cause great harm. An area might be safe, or WAS safe, until that one person shows up.

Our current neighbor hood has been and is now quite safe. However, for a year or so, we had a guy selling drugs, and one of his friends, living in the neighborhood. All of the sudden certain houses were getting broken into or having attempted break ins. Gee who could it be? It stopped when the drug dealer disappeared, I think he was arrested for a warrant in a city hours away, and when his friend ambushed, with a 2x4, a woman out exercising. She got away safely and her attacker left the area.

As a cruiser, one is not going to have local knowledge like what I just mentioned. One might pick up on some things but they won't know much. I doubt most of the people in the subdivision knew about the uknown child rapist who had been living there for decades. Someone cruising ain't gonna have a clue.

So one takes simple steps to protect themselves.
  • Check out how the neighborhood looks.
  • How are people acting?
  • Are children out playing? Are they supervised?
  • Are woman and/or elderly people walking around alone?
  • Does one only see men out and about?
  • Does a place look busy with people out and about or does a place with lots of people living there look like a ghost town?
  • Is the place well kept or is there trash all over the place?
  • Is there graffiti?
  • Do buildings have security bars, doors, alarms, razor/barbed wire?
  • Are there groups of young people, especially teenagers and young men, hanging around?
  • Trust you instincts. If there are warning bells going off in your head, even though one does not know why, pay attention and make the bells go away.
  • A boat needs at least a way to prevent people from getting on board unnoticed. One can be well trained, well armed and experienced but if one is surprised, especially down below and in a berth, one is in deep doo doo.
  • Hopefully, the boat has been built to allow ventilation but prevent people from unknowingly entering. This really is not done often enough but should be. The barriers do not have to be such that they will keep out a determined attacker, or attackers, but stout enough to prevent one from being surprised and to buy time. Every boat I have seen is easily defendable from most likely attackers, IF one is not surprised.
  • How to defend one self I ain't touching with a 30 foot long boat hook. Though a boat hook is not a bad defensive weapon.
For cruisers in the Caribbean, there’s the Safety and Security Net as well as Noonsite where you can get the info. But even that is often ridiculed away. The problem is that for many of the cases in the database, I knew the cruisers who were raped, killed or both. It’s different when you know the people and then find others acting like it didn’t happen.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply
Old 14-03-2024, 05:23   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

This is a very sad.
Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them.
more is offline   Reply
Old 14-03-2024, 13:40   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Does anyone know what the 3 scoundrels were initially charged with? Before this incident?
hpeer is offline   Reply
Old 14-03-2024, 14:34   #58
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
The thread has been reopened after some minor moderation.

Politics, weaponry and religion remain off limits on CF and further such posts will be removed.
Mod Hat On - Guess we weren't clear enough

13 posts in the last 6 hours have been removed for ongoing weaponry discussions.

We would like to keep thread open but we need your cooperation to belay your comments about weaponry.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply
Old 16-03-2024, 18:55   #59

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Three more posts have been deleted from this thread.

There seems to have been a misunderstanding.

--CF is a privately owned forum. The owner makes the rules.

--Moderators are tasked with enforcing the rules everyone agrees to when they join CF. We are aware that not everyone reads the rules, but we do expect our members to follow them.

--This is the rule relative to posting about weapons, as it is written: Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive. What happened was that people posted rudely.

--We understand that what happened aboard Simplicity was awful, and shocking to the members, AND we are still tasked with helping people follow our rules. There are other places to discuss guns and how to use them and how to tell when you must use one, etc., etc. But when the posting drifts to generalities, or causes disruption, the mods will close the threads.

This thread was re-opened, not killed; and it is now a "hot topic".

Please stick to the issues and not descend into rudeness.

Ann
JPA Cate, Moderator
Old 17-03-2024, 12:10   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
This post seems to be dichotomizing into people who ignore the problem and people who are "prepared" (which I believe from a number of your prior posts you mean to be a pretty aggressive defensive posture).
There is something in the middle here, which is neither burying one's head in the sand nor making one's boat into a fort. That would be to use some of the recommendations listed by dannc, above, and accept some degree of risk. Recognizing that in the end, part of life is risk and that living one's life as if one is constantly about to be attacked reduces the quality of life. I love to sleep aboard with lots of windows and the gangway open. My head is not in the sand, I am living with the mix of risk and freedom that works for me.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, Grenada, USA, yacht