Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2024, 08:55   #31

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport
Re: Simplicity: Yacht Owners Feared Dead After Escapees Recaptured (Grenada)

What I hope for is that these perps get a fair trial, convicted if they are guilty, and severely punished if they are convicted. That is justice and truth for me.
lestersails is offline   Reply
Old 01-03-2024, 09:43   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Justice is the law

Punishment is retribution

Then there is restraint and education to redeem the criminal, then there is incarceration to hold an individual until he outgrows his problem, then there is execution to remove the problem from the herd.
hpeer is online now   Reply
Old 01-03-2024, 11:37   #33

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Well, I didn't think it needed to be said, but apparently it does. "vigilante justice" is an oxymoron. It is not justice. It is retribution. Old Testament or Sharia "law". There is no reason whatsoever, other than race baiting, to cite the presumed racial background of the alleged perps.

The USA has a long and ugly history of lynchings perpetrated on minorities. It is ugly, it is wrong, and it is not justice. One needs to be mindful of that history in advocating for "vigilante justice" on "black gangs".
I would have to say that you probably have never been to Trinidad. One day I was talking to the girls in the office at Peakes, and one of them said there was a gunfight in their neighborhood the previous night. They called the police, and the police told them to call back after the shooting stopped. True story.

In many third world countries, the police are the last people you would call to solve a problem. In Thailand, the prime minister declared that the police could kill drug dealers on the spot without a trial. The police took the opportunity to eliminate their competition.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply
Old 01-03-2024, 12:07   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We too are Salty Dawgs. We knew the victims, partied with them, sun-downers, etc. very saddened and sobered by this. Our ‘inside’ information says the criminals confessed to the murders, disposed of our friends at sea. AIS-GPS tracking shows a full throttle transit to St Vincent, out of character for the owners. Questionable poor anchoring caused notice by other cruisers. I believe the criminals were observed leaving the boat and reported to the police. First on-scene people to board, cruisers, found carnage.

The boat is a catamaran so accessible by swimmers up the scoop transom. Glad to have a high sided mono I guess. Who knew?

My opinion, these guys should never walk free again, ever.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply
Old 01-03-2024, 14:53   #35

So tragic and unnecessary. We participated in the Salty Dawg rally this past September as well (although didn’t get to meet this couple) and were in Grenada the week before. So easily could have been us, it definitely gives me caution to add some additional basic security measures.

We were also approached 180 miles off shore north of Venezuela last summer by 2 men on a skiff. They turned and followed us for 2-3 miles then headed even further out to sea, probably just fishermen part of a mothership. Be prepared out there friends stay vigilant & stay safe.
Kinkircating is offline   Reply
Old 02-03-2024, 03:59   #36

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Well, I didn't think it needed to be said, but apparently it does. "vigilante justice" is an oxymoron. It is not justice. It is retribution. Old Testament or Sharia "law". There is no reason whatsoever, other than race baiting, to cite the presumed racial background of the alleged perps.

The USA has a long and ugly history of lynchings perpetrated on minorities. It is ugly, it is wrong, and it is not justice. One needs to be mindful of that history in advocating for "vigilante justice" on "black gangs".
What a farce. Self-defense, is the OLDEST of all human rights, but Liberals and MOST governments have removed that ability from most boat owners by eliminating owners' ability to carry firearms easily aboard from port to port. If this couple HAD been armed, perhaps their fate might have been different. I suggest you watch the film. “Captain Phillips”. Great ending, except for the fact, that the pirate captain should have been hung, in front of his own village. After a suitable trial, of course..
Seabeau is offline   Reply
Old 02-03-2024, 04:55   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocanard View Post
These were one of our best friends that we met in Fort Pierce Florida around 2017. They were there every year after as we worked together on their boat and he help us on our boat. You would never meet better people like them. This was such a major loss for us to see them living their dream and then have it taken from them. We can never get them back. Just so you know, both Genada and St. Vincent facebook cruisers group were asked by my wife to join so we could ether help the family or help them look for this couple and both groups denied my wife access to both groups. Sounds to me this was a coverup in the making because of posable tourist disruption.
Calling BS on your cover up theory. Prospective members to Grenada Cruisers FB group requires them to answer a question about their reason for joining. I'm sure that SVG Cruisers group and many other Caribbean sailing groups are the same.

So many thrill seekers have tried to join these particular group because of the horrific news. We are here in Grenada and believe me...nobody is covering up anything.
If the group's simple membership question is not answered, the AI robot automatically rejects membership.
She's welcome to try again. :-)
Ken Goodings is offline   Reply
Old 02-03-2024, 09:07   #38

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

I find the tough guy post to be rather hard to believe. I grew up in an area in the 70s and 80s that was a center of Mafia activity. It's a business, not a vigilante group, unless there was money involved, or a "family" member the Mafia would not get involved, it's bad for business. My exes Uncle ended up in the trunk of a stolen car, I'm quite familiar with the way they do business.
Please don't post made up fairy tales on this thread, it distracts from the true core of the post, which is the tragic loss of two wonderful people.
We lived in Grenada for awhile during covid, we found the people to be welcoming, decent and hard working, like all societies there are a few bad apples, but the island deals with them. It's a small population, everyone knows everyone, or is related to them. The criminal will be dealt with through the justice system there, just like in the states, they don't tolerate this type of behavior. When a few outboards were stolen from a dinghy dock while we were there the police took no time to go to the thieves house and retrieve them and arrest the thieves, it's like living in a small town, everyone knows everyone's business.
Focus on the families loss and help them heal and possibly contribute to their gofundme page.
Grenada will deal with the legal aspects and deal with the criminals through the court system, as any civilized country would do.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply
Old 02-03-2024, 09:18   #39

Would like everyone's comments on how you protect yourselves while cruising to lessen the chances this happens to you - understanding that nothing is foolproof.
frolson71 is offline   Reply
Old 02-03-2024, 10:03   #40
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

As not many here use AI yet:

Title: Upholding the Universal Right to Self-Defense

In a world where personal safety is paramount, the concept of self-defense stands as a cornerstone of individual rights and liberties. Every human being possesses an inherent right to protect themselves from harm and danger, regardless of race, gender, or nationality.

The universal right to self-defense is not merely a legal provision but a fundamental aspect of human dignity. It acknowledges that individuals have the autonomy and agency to safeguard their own well-being and that of their loved ones. This right transcends cultural boundaries and is deeply ingrained in the collective consciousness of humanity.

Moreover, self-defense is often not just a right but a necessity in the face of imminent threats or aggression. It empowers individuals to resist oppression, tyranny, and injustice, fostering a sense of empowerment and resilience within communities.

However, with this right comes responsibility. While individuals have the right to defend themselves, it must be exercised judiciously and proportionately, avoiding unnecessary harm to others. Legal frameworks and ethical considerations play a crucial role in ensuring that the exercise of self-defense is fair and just.

In essence, the universal right to self-defense reaffirms the inherent value of every human life and the principle of individual autonomy. It is a fundamental aspect of a just and equitable society, where the safety and well-being of all members are upheld and protected.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply
Old 02-03-2024, 10:13   #41
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

Quote:
[…] it distracts from the true core of the post, which is the tragic loss of two wonderful people.
This. Whatever your opinions may be, let’s respect the memory of two people who most likely lost their lives in a very sad and tragic way.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:33   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
This. Whatever your opinions may be, let’s respect the memory of two people who most likely lost their lives in a very sad and tragic way.
Agreed, thanks for posting.
hpeer is online now   Reply
Old 02-03-2024, 14:34   #43

Boat: building custom 46' hybrid catamaran

donrad that was not thailand that was the phillipines
freeden is offline   Reply
Old 03-03-2024, 14:45   #44
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Closed for review.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply
Old 05-03-2024, 15:00   #45
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

The thread has been reopened after some minor moderation.

The murders were a savage thing, and it is something everyone feels strongly about; some of our members knew the victims; they need to talk about it with similar cruising folks AND they need to follow the posting rules here. See https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ork&page=rules

People need to remember to avoid sarcastic attacks on people, but they may address the concepts with which they disagree; do try and keep discussions friendly (like cruisers generally are) else they will be removed. In short, 'Be Nice' when disagreeing.

Politics, weaponry and religion remain off limits on CF and further such posts will be removed.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, Grenada, USA, yacht