Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2024, 08:58   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Double Mast Demasting @Sea

Found this a bit interesting especially the mention the use of Starlink.

AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 09:20   #2

Re: Double Mast Demasting @Sea

I didn’t catch the reason why, or if they’ve done a thorough look around to figure out yet. I’m sure their main concern is getting somewhere safe.

Guess their 2 masts were connected though with rigging… kind of defeats the purpose of “having a backup mast”

I have 2 masts… but neither have any connections for rigging. Like at all. So seeing the same but different setup is interesting
Ixium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 09:48   #3

Boat: Morgan 382

I can't really give a fair commentary because I've never been dismasted, and hope I never am. I am glad they aren't injured and seem that they will be safe.

From how hey described it, the mast broke without any shrouds breaking? In 11 kts of wind? That sounds pretty unusual if it is true.

It was nice to see the fuel transfer. That isn't an easy thing, and the other boat seemed to execute it textbook.

I think it is also great to be able to share this via Starlink. It needs to be assumed that in an event like this Starlink will be compromised, but in this case it wasn't.
Old 29-01-2024, 09:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixium View Post
I didn’t catch the reason why, or if they’ve done a thorough look around to figure out yet. I’m sure their main concern is getting somewhere safe.

Guess their 2 masts were connected though with rigging… kind of defeats the purpose of “having a backup mast”

I have 2 masts… but neither have any connections for rigging. Like at all. So seeing the same but different setup is interesting
I've never heard of a Mizzen referred to as a "backup mast." That isn't what a Mizzen is for, and you should not assume either mast will stay up if the other comes down. Even if the rigging isn't connected, more than likely flying parts will land on/take out the rigging of the other.
Old 29-01-2024, 09:59   #5

I hear it all the time. “Always have back up of everything, even the mast”

My masts have no rigging at all, so would have to be a very specific fall zone to take out both.
Old 29-01-2024, 10:05   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:

My masts have no rigging at all, so would have to be a very specific fall zone to take out both.
I have to admit, having sailed ketches for most of my sailing life, I've never heard of the Mizzen referred to as a "backup mast" other than as a joke! Not what they were for, or meant to be! They are from a day when breaking up the sail area into more sails was beneficial for a short handed crew, back when winches and technology weren't as powerful!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 10:12   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

A good friend of mine had just sailed around Cape Horn. His mast and rig were as stout as any I've ever seen. A double spreader rig, cutter rig.
About 100 miles further up the coast, in a very calm conditions and light wind, the mast came tumbling down with no warning.
He had to make a detour to Argentina to fit a new mast.
S**t happens.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 10:12   #8

Quote:

That might be safer, but still quite possible. Sailing downwind (as we tend to prefer) if the mizzen goes, it will land on the boom of the main. Almost always, as that is where the wind is going to push it.

When I was first preparing for my circumnavigation I read as many recommendations as I could. They could be summarized as "buy as second boat, take it apart, and store it in it's entirety in your first boat." Obviously ridiculous. You don't take backups of everything. No one ever does, and they shouldn't. You have a plan to reach port safely in the event of any failure.
Old 29-01-2024, 10:15   #9

Quote:

Is your boat a 'cat ketch'? That is a very specific and uncommon design.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 10:48   #10

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

About two masts, ketch have them standing alone as mizzen and main masts but a schooner has a stay connecting both masts, Main and fore mast (as a schooner with two masts). A fishermans stay sail or gollywobler flying on it..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 11:08   #11

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
About two masts, ketch have them standing alone as mizzen and main masts
Not necessarily. Some ketches have a triatic stay between the mastheads, some are independent. All depends on the design of the rigging.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 11:09   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

I am not going to watch the video to see if it says, but I wonder how they got those masts on top of the boat. When I broke mine they went over the side and there wasn't even really a way to keep the boom on the boat.
Old 29-01-2024, 11:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I am not going to watch the video to see if it says, but I wonder how they got those masts on top of the boat. When I broke mine they went over the side and there wasn't even really a way to keep the boom on the boat.
It sounded like the rig came down in a very slow way. The main mast broke, but none of the rigging did. The mizzen mast held the main mast up for a while, and they were able to take down and tie up the sails. It was only 11 kts of wind. Then later, the mizzen broke and they both came down and mostly landed on the boat. One of the masts was further aft and touching the water, but they were able to use a winch to pull it forward.

They also managed to rewire the AIS to a different antenna, and remount the radar and get it working. The work he did on the AIS was bizarre and opens a whole 'nother line of questions.

The transfer of fuel (I think they said 13 jerry cans worth) was really well done. The other boat involved was obviously competent. With both boats underway, they used a fishing pole to toss a leader over. Once the dismasted boat had the line, they tossed the jerry cans attached to the other end overboard.
Old 29-01-2024, 13:28   #14

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Not necessarily. Some ketches have a triatic stay between the mastheads, some are independent. All depends on the design of the rigging.
You're right. Not seen one with triatic stay so far..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 15:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Is your boat a 'cat ketch'? That is a very specific and uncommon design.
Cat-schooner, yeah.

That’s why I said it’s same but different. And interesting to read about them

Tags
mast