Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2024, 02:00   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Re: Double Mast Demasting @Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Yes, the boat is an Amel, but not a '55' model, it is an super maramu.
Yes you are correct..

https://www.sailingaquarius.com/our-boat-1
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 04:54   #32

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
No wonder not seen much here, most are US boats, or mostly for the US markets.
well half the list were not US boats.

Amel
Oyster
Hughes
Tayana
Hudson
Bayfield
Whitby

some British, Euro, Canadian, asian...

Might be more related to design influence than region. Either-way, a pretty common piece of rigging. and it tends to simply the cost of rigging. A triatic just requires a tang on each mast and a single stay. not 2 tangs on the mizzen, 2 shrouds, 2 chainplates and the reinforcing associated.

But I do have to admit that twice a year its a bit of a pain to have to go up and connect it in the spring when stepping the masts and in the fall to go back up to disconnect it in prep for unstepping and winter storage!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 06:01   #33

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
well half the list were not US boats.

Amel
Oyster
Hughes
Tayana
Hudson
Bayfield
Whitby

some British, Euro, Canadian, asian...

Might be more related to design influence than region. Either-way, a pretty common piece of rigging. and it tends to simply the cost of rigging. A triatic just requires a tang on each mast and a single stay. not 2 tangs on the mizzen, 2 shrouds, 2 chainplates and the reinforcing associated.

But I do have to admit that twice a year its a bit of a pain to have to go up and connect it in the spring when stepping the masts and in the fall to go back up to disconnect it in prep for unstepping and winter storage!
3 of those are European. Amels and Oysters are mostly sloops and of the ketches most without triatic. Dunno about Whitby. So I stand behind what I said..
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 07:37   #34

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
3 of those are European. Amels and Oysters are mostly sloops and of the ketches most without triatic. Dunno about Whitby. So I stand behind what I said..
Amels were almostly ketches until recently (and almost all with a triatic) think Maramu, super maramu, santorini, mango. Only the Sharki doesn't have a triatic by design. The Oyster 435 is definitely a ketch with a triatic, as the Amels. Amel has moved away from ketches as has most of the industry as technology makes handling larger sails short handed easier.

Whitby 42 was once one of the most coveted liveaboard cruisers out there. Its rig is a bit of an anomily. The design plan shows for and aft lowers with no Triatic, but growing up near the production facility, all of the Whitby 42's I've ever seen had BOTH a full stays mizzen AND a triatic. kinda an outlyer in that its probably over stayed!!

Maybe I should rephrase as it was a relatively common stay seen on ketches from production builders in the past.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 03:23   #35

Boat: Baba 35

Having just spent 3 months refitting our mast, weeks of RO sanding it to bare, 6 coats of 2am roll and tipping with a headlamp, overthinking every imperfection, Stalok'ing the entire rig, etc etc, it boggles my mind even when everything seems fine with your rig, it might not be the case. Both of them are on the obsessive side of caution. Looking forward to their breakdown of what a surveyor tells them. They mentioned that the main rig buckled 4 feet above deck and quick thinking had him wrap up those sails before they had a chance to hit the water. Kudos Aquarius, that could have been deadly.
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:52   #36

Boat: Dickerson 36 Center Cockpit Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Add to that:

Oyster 435
Shannon 43
Hughes 40
Hudson Force 50
Pearson 365
Mason 53
Gulfstar 47
Tayana 55
Morgan 462

I own a Dickerson 36 ketch and it also has a triatic stay. When I bought my current boat, I was shopping specifically for a ketch, and I don't remember seeing any that did not have a triatic.
Old 06-02-2024, 12:25   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

S/V Aquarius demasting-part 2

AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 11:33   #38

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Can’t tell if they are being cagey about what failed, or they are just used to paying professionals for boat work and don’t know the systems that well.

Starting around 7:00 they basically say they don’t know what happened and everything was in good condition, and they are waiting on a survey to find out more. Different attitude I guess. If my mast tried to kill me I wouldn’t be able to sleep until I figured out exactly what failed and why.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 12:15   #39

Boat: Moody 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post
Can’t tell if they are being cagey about what failed,…….
If my mast tried to kill me I wouldn’t be able to sleep until I figured out exactly what failed and why.
I noticed that as well in video 2. I would have been looking for missing pins toggles split rings. Etc. also interesting that the rig was installed about ten years ago and failed on the last leg of the circumnav.

But I’m sure there are plenty of folks that don’t do their own maintenance/inspections and just go sailing.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast