Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2018, 14:16   #61

Re: Boat on the Rocks: Scenario Quiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Yeah, don't try to swim with a flotation device inflated. Tie it to your body, so you have it if you need it, but that was all close to protected water and a sandy beach, slow and easy swimming would get you there. However, not everybody can swim, and then, you need the PFD, inflated, and just flail away from the rocks far enough to be safe, and then, start moving towards the inside of the outer breakwall. Try to get out of the middle of the channel. Head for the power boat when it's downwind of you, if they are picking folks up, if not, swim at an easy pace, conserve energy. If you're a swimmer, you can save yourself.

Never, ever, put your flesh and blood between a boat and a hard place.

Ann

Well said!

You forum requested what??
Old 31-03-2018, 08:54   #62

Boat: Island Packet 40

Sheer luck that both the boat and crew all survived, it must have been a great relief when the waves washed the bow around and the boat sailed into clear water.

With a rescue vessel standing by the only sensible option was to dive in and swim towards the middle of the channel where it was relatively safe for the rescue vessel to maneuver for pickup. Even without a sail boat being crashed into the rocks in proximity, climbing up jagged rocks in a breaking surf is a very chancy business.

I tend to the opinion that if one takes up any form of on water activity without first learning to swim one is no great loss to the gene pool?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 14:51   #63

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

A as well .

Steady this is a great post. I like these videos b/c for a me this is what real disaster looks like. So much clickbait on YouTube makes it hard to find worthwhile video that can be learned from.

I’m chiming in here because of the outboard motor hanging off the stern. It was hard to see at first because of the distance. Towards the end you can see it flopping about more clearly, as it comes loose from the mount. It seems to have the form factor of a late model small hp Honda 4stroke but I can’t be sure. It seems to be the engine for the boat, as I see no other prop.

There are many threads focusing on the outboard/inboard debate. There are heroes on both sides. My own humble vessel is powered by an outboard. My question is this:

Would an inboard diesel of the appropriate size and horsepower pushed this vessel to safety where the outboard apparently failed?

The prop seems to be out of the water at a few key moments, including the 27 second mark. Did the mount pop up?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9223.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	167437
At 1:36, it seems to have ripped off the mount.

Name:	IMG_9227.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	167438
Later, when the boat sails off, it looks to be gone.

Name:	IMG_9228.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	167439

I remember reading posts from the skipper; please share from your experience and I was glad to read all were safe.
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 16:48   #64

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

My guess is in this case the engine was not the problem and the outboard could have done the job (motored into the harbor) if it was at least 5hp and had been in use. Since we don't see how he got there I am guessing he was tacking in (no engine) and had something go wrong with the tack near the breakwater. Perhaps he will chime in to let us know. Once on the rocks, no engine would be of much help. That video still really impresses me about S2 construction!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:17   #65

Talking Re: Boat on the Rocks: Scenario Quiz

Since this thread has been revived I have observed and come to some different conclusions. The wave period is about 4 seconds. At that interval and considering the perception/reaction time being 2 seconds that leaves 2 seconds to affect an action. Then we must consider the violence of the action of the boat as it hits the rocks. The g forces are incredible with that motion and sudden stop. Holding on and hoping is perhaps the only viable option since the self saving action will have only 2 seconds to be implemented before the next hit that will pitch anything or anyone not tied down violently. This is without a doubt proof God loves fools or he wouldn't have made so many of us.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat