Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2018, 10:31   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat on the Rocks: Scenario Quiz

Given the situation and sea state shown in this video:

What would you do? Which is less risky?
(Multiple Choice Quiz, post your answer below in comments)

A. Stay on the boat
B. Jump off the boat and try to scramble up the rocks
C. Jump off the boat and try to swim to the motor boat
D. Other, Explain (must have same starting condition of the boat on the rocks)

https://youtu.be/euARI7PkOiA
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 11:00   #2

Boat: naver 29
Re: Boat on the Rocks: Scenario Quiz

Is waving your arms around whilst screaming like a little girl an option?

but seriously,thats one tough little boat!
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 11:27   #3

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I sailed into that harbour during a storm a couple years ago. A couple fishermen were washed off the big breakwater (to the left/top in the video) when a wave broke over it. They were sitting on the lee side when I sailed by. So climbing the rocks would seem to be a bad choice, not to mention the chance of getting hit by your own boat.
I pick 'A'. Though Martin's option above is also a good choice.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 11:33   #4

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

That would have been so rough in the boat, I doubt they had any choices other than hang on. So A. by way of lack of options.
EDIT, I watched it again, and they had some opportunities. Climbing the rocks would be a big gamble. In the water would seem the safest but no more boat if you do.

They did a mighty job.

I expected the coast guard would have approached into the wind.
Old 22-01-2018, 11:34   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat on the Rocks: Scenario Quiz

E.. dont go on the rocks in the first place.. Tack sooner.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 12:15   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

I think they did the right thing; stay on the boat until an opportune moment to bail. Opportune being defined by a realistic chance of getting away from the rocks.

Those are good sized rollers and those rocks are slick with algae snot and covered with barnacles. Attempting to get up them would probably result in broken bones and serious lacerations, and probably a good chance of death if thrown into them by a wave.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 12:35   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I can't watch the video because we've a metered connection, so this is based on the still photo. I take it from the above comment that the sailboat was unable to complete the tack and reach out offshore, may have been set down on the rocks by the current, too.

Seems like time to start the engine, if there is one that works. If no go there, anchor, and wait for it to go light at night. Rescue will be easier. If anchored safely, call for a tow, the towing vessel can float a line down to you. If you must take to the water, then ditch your shoes and swim calmly, conserving your energy, out around to get in the lee of the breakwater, and work your way to shore. You may have to swim at an angle to the current to make headway at all, so the swim may be a lot farther than you think. If the motorboat is standing by to render assistance, so much the better. Remember to say thank you very much, give the guy a gift.

I agree with Suijin, the rocks will not be user friendly, such rocks are not sized to promote climbing when they are slippery, and barnavle and limpet strewn; nor, if there is a pier nearby, will the area by the pier, the water swirls around the piles, which are covered with marine biofouling to the high water mark, very easy to get battered there, there may be undertow, too--don't ask. So many mistakes to make once.

Ann
Old 22-01-2018, 13:00   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I want to know what they did at the 2:30 mark to turn to port, and away from the rocks so they could sail off. The way it was being battered, the keel was firmly wedged between two large rocks. then it turned away and they sailed off. I agree with Martin - tough little boat! In the end, I'd probably chose to stay with the boat (A), but ... I'm saying that after calmly watching the video twice in a swivel chair, all warm and dry. If I was on that boat being shaken and ground into the rocks, with the mast hitting water and rollers going over the deck, God knows what I'd do!

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 13:00   #9

Boat: Leopard 39

Really tough question to a "you had to be there" situation. My inclination, I think, would have been to brace myself and the crew, stay with the boat, and keep trying to pinch off that lee shore (especially since the breakers were repeatedly righting the vessel). Abandoning ship and scrambling onto the rocks could have left one vulnerable to being crushed by the boat, and swimming out against a lee shore? That would not have been my first thought.

Thank you for a great post, Steady Hand.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 13:15   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat on the Rocks: Scenario Quiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
I want to know what they did at the 2:30 mark to turn to port, and away from the rocks so they could sail off. The way it was being battered, the keel was firmly wedged between two large rocks. then it turned away and they sailed off. I agree with Martin - tough little boat! In the end, I'd probably chose to stay with the boat (A), but ... I'm saying that after calmly watching the video twice in a swivel chair, all warm and dry. If I was on that boat being shaken and ground into the rocks, with the mast hitting water and rollers going over the deck, God knows what I'd do!
I don't think they did anything really.. the wind was kinda keeping them in the irons and on the rocks however the last three breakers appeared to roll more along the rocks rather than at an angle.. the first started the turn.. the second freed them enough for the main to start catching the wind and the final big one lifted them off and the wind filled the main starting them away from the rocks.
Just my opinion from the video.. the crew appeared to be doing what I likely would have been doing.. hanging on so as not to go over.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 13:36   #11

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Boatie's got it right.
They were lucky.
It looks like a Catalina 27 to me.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 13:53   #12

Boat: None at the moment

Tough boat, sure, but how about the rescue swimmer who jumped in at about 2:08? Swimming towards a violently bucking boat and rocks in those waves? Those folks never cease to amaze me.
DaBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 14:25   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBod View Post
Tough boat, sure, but how about the rescue swimmer who jumped in at about 2:08? Swimming towards a violently bucking boat and rocks in those waves? Those folks never cease to amaze me.
Quite astonishing that he would swim along side that yacht and follow it out at the 4 min point.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swimmer.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	162681  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 14:48   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To everyone who has commented so far: Thank you all for adding your views to this discussion. I read them all and found them interesting. Some are similar to my own thoughts too. But, I also enjoy learning how others see things like this, or how they would approach the scenario, so reading differences of opinion can help broaden our own thoughts. In short, I think we can all learn something by sharing things like this.

NOTE to Everyone: The purpose of this post is to get you thinking. This is not about criticizing the captain of the boat on the rocks, as it can happen to anyone. The question is what would YOU do in the same situation. Explain your choice and reasoning. Thinking that through is what may help you and others who consider the responses posted here.

As I watched this video, I expected to see that boat break up at any minute, as it was tossed on the rocks, and was at times bow down to the waves, completely out of the water, and spreader in the water too. I think it is remarkable that it survived that pounding on the rocks, and it surprised me to see it do so. Fiberglass boats can be tough. That said, I would not want to experience this for myself.
Old 23-01-2018, 08:26   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In this article about this "Boat on the Rocks" incident, the name "Currie" refers to the fireman (harbor patrol) who jumped in the water to assist the boat crew. He did not get on the boat. This an excerpt from a longer article.

Two men, dog rescued in Redondo Beach sailing accident

SOURCE: Two men, dog rescued in Redondo Beach sailing accident | Redondo Beach | tbrnews.com

EXCERPT:
"When the Harbor Patrol boat first arrived, the sailboat was getting battered against the rocks by strong waves and winds reaching about 20 mph. That day, double red flags indicated gale force winds in outer waters, Currie said.

Figuring they couldn’t get the boat close enough to attach a tow line, Currie said he chose to concentrate on rescuing the passengers. Dressed in his uniform at that point, he quickly changed into shorts, grabbed a lifeguard rescue can and swam toward the boat.

“The problem we had with getting them in the water is we didn't know how good of swimmers they were," Currie said. "And also what happens when I tell them to get in the water and a wave comes in and they get killed somehow and I told them to do that?”

Finally, there was a lull in the swells and Currie using what he termed "colorful language" instructed them to get in the water that instant. One of the men abide while the other stayed with the dog.

“He looked at me with these big eyes and jumped off the boat,” Currie said.

Just at that moment, the boat swung to the left and with the mainsail still fastened began to sail off the rocks.

“When the boat came off and started to turn, my biggest concern once we have a loose boat is about what happens if it turns to its right. Then I'm stuck between the rocks and the boat,” Currie said. “I was just swimming as hard as I could to get away from that boat.”

The sailboat continued on its trajectory and the pair was able to secure the sailboat to a tow line."

Tags
boat