Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2023, 09:04   #46

Boat: Cal-40
Re: Another one: aground at ponce inlet and rescued

Part of the problem is the advent of modern electronics. Today we see less and less really skilled sailors having been replaced with folks whom just look at some digital chart with their position flashing upon it and this is how they find their way around. You would be surprised at how many out there cannot even do a simple line splice so the very idea of proper navigation seems fare beyond their skill sets.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 09:20   #47

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter
Re: Another one: aground at pounce inlet and rescued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Now the power boats are doing better than we are lol
No they're not

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowle View Post
Even though we're in an age where fact is dead. Anecdotal evidence is still a poor substitute for actual statistics, me thinks.
This 100%.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 10:44   #48
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Another one: aground at pounce inlet and rescued

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
St Johns inlet can be impassable under certain conditions for small craft.

and not so small craft. i have seen standing tidal waves there .. big enough to swamp a 35 boat easy. maybe you get lucky and go thru them. maybe not.
Old 22-12-2023, 11:35   #49
CLOD

Boat: none

Been through the Ponce inlet numerous times and haven't had any problems. Just don't cut the corners. But I can see it as pretty dangerous in conditions of high wind blowing into a ebb current. Not that that is any different than the "good" inlets and the worst time I have had in Florida is the Miami channel.

So the poor guy who is the subject of this thread could be any of us but for the grace of god and luck
Old 22-12-2023, 21:55   #50

Boat: Pearson 386

The average sailboat draws roughly double what the same size powerboat draws and is considerably less maneuverable. Storms move the sand bars around all year round and so just because you are in the designated channel doesn't necessarily mean you won't run aground. The Coast Guard even though they are aware of such shoaling they can't monitor and react to every channel to insure it meets the charted depth with the ever-shifting sand. At times where there is clear trend and persistent shoaling they will relocate the channel but in many cases it's not frequently enough to ensure stated depths are met. Dredging and attention is pretty much limited to the harbors with significant commercial activity.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2023, 04:45   #51

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindsofman View Post
For some reason,this last 6-12 months have seen
More groundings ,sinkings , maydays,Pan Pans and TowBoat
Calls for ages,,maybe even going back prior to GPS..
If one notes , more than 50% of these accidents involve
Folks 65 and older . Some of these elder couples have
Even had a " Professional " captain aboard..
???????
Another side effect of the COVID Vaccine maybe ???
I think you are right that the vaccine is causally associated with running aground. Because if you are over 65 and didn't get the vaccine you are more likely to be dead. And dead people don't run aground.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2023, 05:26   #52

Boat: Pearson 386

Maybe it's just that some people feel closer to home when they're aground.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2023, 05:43   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindsofman View Post
For some reason,this last 6-12 months have seen
More groundings ,sinkings , maydays,Pan Pans and TowBoat
Calls for ages,,maybe even going back prior to GPS..
If one notes , more than 50% of these accidents involve
Folks 65 and older . Some of these elder couples have
Even had a " Professional " captain aboard..
???????
Another side effect of the COVID Vaccine maybe ???
Can you quotes actual NUMBERS proving you assertion of more accidents? Or is this just made up based on how many news articles you read? And of course there are a LOT more boats than there were "before GPS" so you have to do it per mile actually driven by the boats, or it is meaningless.

Bad thinking draws bad conclusions. Or maybe the lack of logic in your post is a result of low level paranoia caused by a latent COVID infection common amoung those who avoid vaccines. (I just made that last bit up, but it has just as much logic behind it...)
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2023, 11:58   #54

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

Too much belief in electronics:
Some years ago I was crewing on a 49' Hinckley with the owner and his sidekick, who had very little sailing experience--but was a whiz at electronics. (Not only a ham operator, but was licensed to build ham radios.)
It was after dark and we were motoring into Newport, R.I. The "sidekick" was down below manning the radar and calling out to me how many hundred yards it was to the next buoy. When he said it's about 200 yards ahead, I suggested he should come up and take a look off our port stern quarter.

We had just pasted said buoy about 5 minutes earlier!
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2023, 07:13   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Chill, guys. We've got a "be nice" rule. I'm having to weed out the rude ones.
Old 28-12-2023, 21:34   #56

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

There are only a few inlets on the East Coast that one can enter at night. Ponce, St Aug, Boca, Stuart should never be used in darkness unless you have extensive, recent daytime experience running those inlets.

And even during daytime, if you are newbie to that inlet, it is always best to wait for a local vessel to blaze the trail for you.

I recall seeing a marker buoy in St Aug high and dry on a sandbar at mid-tide
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 05:10   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
I think you are right that the vaccine is causally associated with running aground. Because if you are over 65 and didn't get the vaccine you are more likely to be dead. And dead people don't run aground.
New study shows some can drink bleach.
A new study shows that people, who do not possess common sense, instead, possess the ability to drink bleach.
The name, for this newly discovered ability, is called "natural selection".

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 10:01   #58
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
There are only a few inlets on the East Coast that one can enter at night. Ponce, St Aug, Boca, Stuart should never be used in darkness unless you have extensive, recent daytime experience running those inlets.
I came the St Augustine inlet the other day at 2am. In was an emergency and I had to do it. I had done it before, but that was around 7 years ago and I did circles till dawn so I could see the route by watching the fishing boats in the morning and it was a twisty confusing route. So I was really worried the other day, but it now a very straight route and starting between the first set of red/green buoys and the red/white buoy it is single straight course in that never came close to anything less than 20' water. Hardest thing was not confusing the ICW buoys with the channel buoys and that one of the greens wasn't lit.
Old 01-01-2024, 10:45   #59

Boat: Lagoon 380

Is Jupiter Inlet a "no-go" for all here?? Even when calm?
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 13:15   #60

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I consider Jupiter to be a calm weather only inlet for shallow draft boats with local knowledge. The Waterway Guide says the following:

Quote:
Overview: Fair weather inlet only. With any swell, mariners should divert to another inlet. The inlet is considered impassable in a northeast swell of any size and is cited by the USCG as “not navigable without local knowledge.”

Cautions & Hazards: This inlet channel is unsafe for all but small boats with local knowledge and very shallow draft. The mouth of the inlet has strong currents, eddies, turbulence and breaking seas over sandbars that extend from the south side of the inlet offshore towards the northeast. The average tidal range is 2.5 feet.

Shoals also flank the east edge of the channel south from green daybeacon “57” to the Jupiter Island (CR 707) Bridge (hail as the “707 Bridge”) at Mile 1004.1. The bridge has a 25-foot closed vertical clearance and opens on signal. If your vessel is lightly powered, mind the swift current here while waiting for the bridge. Contact the bridgetender prior to your arrival and allow for the set of the current passing through.
https://www.waterwayguide.com/nav-al...aution-jupiter

Tags
rescue