Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2020, 19:54   #91

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter
Re: Mantus Anchors

pbiJim, we have used our 65# Mantus for 4 years in waters from Mobile, AL to the fjords of Newfoundland. In that time we had only one “no set”. In a fjord on the south side of Newfoundland we dropped the hook in an area of kelp. We knew it was there but had limited choices so we tried. Oh well...we moved and had a great night’s sleep. We appreciate the quality of the products coming from Mantus. And we trust them.
Old 07-05-2021, 18:56   #92

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Just to say. Bought a mantus over sized for our 35 Dufour about 8 years ago. Before that dragged a CQR around anchorages for about 12 years. First time I set the Mantus almost lost the Admiral over the bow!

What a difference, complete confidence from the remote Northern BC fiords to the open roadsteads of the pacific north and central american coasts it has been great good anchor.

Sorry great anchor.
Old 04-06-2021, 18:52   #93

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Waiting for my new chain to show up but ended up going with the 120lb Mantus M1. Fits the bow perfectly and the hoop is so large you can look through it and it blends into the bow pulpit when viewed from the helm!

The new chain is 10mm x 28mm pitch A7 (like G7) chain with extended links in both end large enough to take a shackle with a 7/8" pin.

Suspect it is not going anywhere!!! Looking forward to sleeping really well at night!
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 09:54   #94
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalina c 400

runningi own catalina 400 been to islands Caribbean from ny ten winters have a delta deepset 55 ib 100 feet chain 200 ft nylone rode ...rode out two hurricanes in exumas // have anchored on kelp rocks mud sand both there ny to maine have
never dragged. paid 1/4 price of mantus manta bruce etc luv e iot sleep soundly
apozun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:58   #95

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Well, now have the entire system setup and working nicely.

The Mantus M1 really sticks to the bottom nicely and the new chain is running through the windlass perfectly.

Additional observations with regard to stern hook.

Just for fun tried a 35 pound delta off the stern in 20 feet of water, 30 feet of chain, and 300 feet of line. Was primarily trying to keep the stern from moving around when the wind was light and end up with the stern into the small waves coming in.

The boat with a light current/wind happily drug the 35 pound delta all over the anchorage. Reset it several times but just would not consistently hold. It would definitely set and be solid but 55000lbs of boat tugging just would pop it out of the bottom eventually.

Tried the same thing with a 44lb bruce and 30 feet of chain, 300 feet of line and held nicely. However, the extra weight was enough to make retrieval from the dingy a real struggle.

May end up with 44lb Bruce and a large Aluminum Fortress (which I don't currently have) as stern hook alternatives.

I wonder what the spade was for (came with the boat, might have just been a really good dingy hook?
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:30   #96

Boat: Hunter 340

I bought the Mantus 22.5kg anchor in 2014 for my Hunter 340. From the Great Lakes to the southern Bahamas, this anchor holds firm. Every time. Love my Mantus!!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Mantus, texas