Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-07-2022, 23:13   #1

Boat: Aspiring Owner
Four Cabin Catamaran

First, let me begin by saying that I'm fully aware of how unrealistic the following request is, but I also believe that you never know what opportunities might present themselves simply by asking for the moon and being in the right place at the right time.

My wife and I are very interested in one of the charter-style catamarans with the four cabin layout as a liveaboard. We have kids and would love to be able to give each of them a space of their own. Wasting $2k per month for a rundown three bedroom apartment is just gnawing at us when we could be paying that much or less for an "apartment on the water". I'd much rather invest in a depreciating asset than one that will never be mine at all.

The catch is that we aren't in a position to get a traditional boat loan, hence the unrealistic part. We would need some kind of owner financing. The payments aren't a problem given what we're used to paying for rent, and we would be able to save up through the year for all the maintenance outside of that. It's just the loan part that puts up a wall.

We'd love to find a boat that maybe is in rough shape and the owner just doesn't have the time or money to fix it up. Perhaps a solid hull and mostly working motor and sails and rigging on their last legs. Not a "lost cause" or anything, but something that your average buyer probably doesn't want and the owner is open to more unconventional options.

So yeah, that's the dream...hopefully there's some way it can become a reality. Thanks for listening!
silviris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, catamaran