Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2021, 07:27   #1

Boat: Try to own Albin Vega
Boat for a living

Hello, my name is Maxim, I am from Siberia. The situation with Covid-19 did not allow buying a boat in Sweden, most of the countries are inaccessible to Russians. We plan to sail with my wife as soon as possible because the iron curtain is closing. I have no experience of sailing at sea, but I built a sailboat and operated it for six years, in a fresh river. I can work with wood, epoxy and fiberglass. I understand engines and gearboxes. I am looking for a boat from 8 meters, in the Mediterranean or not far. Albin Vega was a priority, but she's not to be found here. If you or someone you know sells such a boat for adequate money, or you know that the boat disappears on the shore, I would be very grateful for the information. According to the plan, training at sea for a year and a transatlantic crossing next fall, and then how will it turn out. This dream has become a goal and I use all the means to achieve it. Our boat budget is around 5,000 euros, unfortunately this is the highest price. We are not looking for gifts, we are looking for a path to a dream. I would be glad to receive any information and help. Thanks in advance and sorry for the google translator.
P.S. Today Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Greece, Turkey and Britain are available to us, but we are looking at all the countries of the Mediterranean Sea.
SayariTatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 08:13   #2

Re: Boat for a living

Hi Maxim, welcome to the forum!

I fear, this plan is rather difficult: very low budget and you need papers to enter the countries (in these modern times you cannot just arrive by boat, see e.g. https://www.noonsite.com/). An Albin Vega or similar boats can be ok for one person but with two I think that you or your wife won't be happy long.

Maybe it would be easier to try to join another boat as crew? Or as you are knowledgeable about boats/technology maybe you could try to find work in a boatyard in the mentioned countries?

By the way: what do you mean with "sorry for the google translator": don't you speak english?
[Edit] Another question: "the iron curtain is closing". What do you mean with this?
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 08:33   #3

Boat: Try to own Albin Vega

Hi blu3534 =) 5000 euros just for the purchase of a boat, I understand that this is the price of a sail, but sometimes people sell unnecessary or require investments and repairs. In fact, my message is a cry from the heart, from the fact that the dream is melting before our eyes.
I tried to join the carriage, but my wife and I are single and are afraid to let people down.
I speak English, but I can't say much because I have no practice. The "Iron Curtain" is an expression of the times of the Cold War (the USSR and the USA), everything is complicated in my country and it is only getting worse, the time is not far off when we will be forbidden to travel outside its borders.
Thank you very much for your reply.
SayariTatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 08:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Welcome to the forum Maxim and good luck.
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 08:45   #5

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

Maxim, welcome to CF and good luck with your search.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 08:56   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 09:34   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Maxim and welcome.

Do not know the boat market in Europe as well but in the US you could certainly buy a boat 10 meters or less for 5000 euros. Probably not very pretty and surely need some work but maybe not too much.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 09:37   #8

It seems like you have a time element as well, which only makes things more difficult. Perhaps you can look for a boat that needs work, and put in Sweat Equity. I recently purchased a freedom 28 with good motor and sails in great shape except for the interior which was trashed and needs to be either refinished or replaced. I paid $2,500 us.good luck
pelagic71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 09:50   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat for a living

A couple I know sailed one of these from the UK down to the Med and on to Greece.. good storage and strong livable small boat..
https://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boat...or-sale/680296

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 10:09   #10

Boat: C&C 27

Hi Maxim and welcome aboard!

Just because you have 5,000 euros now does not mean that you couldn't have more in the future. Perhaps you can use the funds to get to another country where you can use your skills that you already have. This would allow you to earn and save more money and gain more sailing experience along the way. Just my suggestion.

Good luck and keep us posted with updates.
Hegemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 10:09   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Boat for a living

It’s possible to buy a wreck of a boat for a few thousand euros. But that’s what it is a wreck.

In fact you’re more likely to get one for free in fact if you can haunt boatyards. But again the cost to get anything up to a sail-able boat will be way outside that budget

Also the med is not a cheap place to sail or live anymore

Sadly , my friend , what you seek “ might” be found but you will have to be very lucky. In reality it’s a dream not a plan.
Old 26-10-2021, 10:33   #12

Everything is possible. You just have to know where to look.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 12:29   #13

Boat: 36' Gulfstar Trawler

There is a very nice Russian woman who now lives in St. Petersburg, Russia, I believe, and she has about a 40' sailboat that is for sale (I think) in the Caribbean.

She is on Facebook and her name is: Marina Karlova.

She knows boats and she knows sailing. From what I can tell she is done with boating and would love to sell her boat.

Contact her directly on Facebook.

She seems to be a very good person.

Good Luck.
Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 12:56   #14

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

Hi Maxim,
Welcome to the forum. If possible you should consider coming to the Caribbean. Its cheaper. there are less rules and the weather is better than the Med. You will have to stay out of the "Box" during hurricane season but other than that there are a lot of advantages to the Caribbean over the Med.
Good luck and have fun.

S/V August
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 13:00   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing August View Post
Hi Maxim,
Welcome to the forum. If possible you should consider coming to the Caribbean. Its cheaper. there are less rules and the weather is better than the Med. You will have to stay out of the "Box" during hurricane season but other than that there are a lot of advantages to the Caribbean over the Med.
Good luck and have fun.

S/V August

Having sailed in both , I’d say in general the Caribbean is considerably more expensive for boaters then the med, especially eastern med.

There are very few “ rules “ to be followed in the med.

Tags
boat