Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2019, 03:52   #46

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Maine, and getting there

Usually. There are many rivers where the pots are what you have to follow.
But I will agree enough with you to emphasize USUALLY.
I acknowledge that you spend more time in Maine waters than I do.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 04:05   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Maine, and getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Usually. There are many rivers where the pots are what you have to follow.
But I will agree enough with you to emphasize USUALLY.
I acknowledge that you spend more time in Maine waters than I do.

The problem with believing the pots are in deep water is that the bugs don't care about depth and once they "come-in" from the deeper winter waters. They are literally everywhere.

They especially love the rock & kelp gardens surrounding ledges, shoals etc. and traps are often set that can only be pulled at 1/2 to 3/4 tide or better, even from a 2.5' draft lobster boat. Young kids, running singles, will often fish in water so shallow you can touch the trap at low tide.

Please don't trust that pot buoys are in deep water or that the bugs are only in deep water. One of my biggest hauls (17 keepers in one trap) was in water so shallow you could only pull the trap at half tide or more.
Old 21-06-2019, 07:34   #48

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesail View Post
Hi, I wish you a great passage and fine sailing. I personally rarely use moorings down there- so no specifics. I'm sure PYS has a few, but availability might be tight as the season comes on. I would call the Portland harbormaster-very responsive.

I anchor alot, have a superb anchor so am very comfortable doing so.

But on occasion I practice the age old art of "borrowing" a mooring for a night. I only do so in fair weather and on a mooring that looks like it has regular use-so confident of it's condition-I also grab one as dusk is coming on and likelihood of the owner returning is diminished-though I have been caught out.

With the size of your boat that practice might be more limited. Tucking in behind Peaks Island or heading up to Falmouth will allow you to find some good holding spots, should you choose the anchoring route and there are likely be rental moorings in either of those two large and protected mooring fields. I'd call Handy Boat in Falmouth to get the picture there.

Cheers. Will
Thanks, Will. I have 50’ of chain and 200’ of rope rode on a plough anchor, so I am not adverse to anchoring. Any suggestions about good anchorages in the area (Peaks, Long, Diamond, etc.) would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

James
ob44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 12:07   #49

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob44 View Post
Thanks for that info. I am planning on sailing my Tartan 40 to Maine from Newport just after the 4th. Know of any moorings around Cape Elizabeth - S. Portland?

James O'Brien
There's no shortage of rental moorings in Casco Bay, if you're willing to spend $40/night or so. Are you looking for a place to stay for a few nights or a seasonal rental? Well protected harbors that are not filled with moorings and still have room to anchor are more scarce, but there are a few left. Jewell Island is one example, but it gets very crowded in July. And there are more options if you are willing to settle for a more exposed anchorage. For example, Cliff I. and Little Chebeague I.

Tags
maine