Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2024, 05:42   #1

Kingston to Toronto

Has anyone done the sail from Bath Ontario to Toronto Harbour before. I recently moved my boat from Vancouver and have now secured a slip In Toronto. Wondering how long it takes to sail/motor there. I’m new to the area so if multiple days any marina recommendations for this trip would be great! Thanks.
Urbanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 05:50   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Kingston to Toronto

You don't say how big/fast your boat is or even if sail/power. Let's assume average-sized sail. Most people would go through the Bay of Quinte and Murray Canal from Bath. First night would be a marina in Belleville, Trenton or Brighton or tie up at either end of canal or anchor before or after the canal. Next night is Cobourg, either in marina or anchor. Then to Whitby Marina and last day to Toronto. If you are a member of a yacht club in Toronto there. are reciprocal clubs in Belleville and Whitby.
Old 16-02-2024, 06:04   #3

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

It took me 4 days up and 3 days back Kingston to Toronto, solo and I didn't sail at night. If you use the Murray Canal it cuts off going around Prince Edward County I went that route on the way back.Trenton has a fuel dock for diesel.
Of course the wind is predominantly southwest except for two of the days coming back where it was eastly so I motor sailed a lot, hence Trenton for fuel.
Old 16-02-2024, 06:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
You don't say how big/fast your boat is or even if sail/power. Let's assume average-sized sail. Most people would go through the Bay of Quinte and Murray Canal from Bath. First night would be a marina in Belleville, Trenton or Brighton or tie up at either end of canal or anchor before or after the canal. Next night is Cobourg, either in marina or anchor. Then to Whitby Marina and last day to Toronto. If you are a member of a yacht club in Toronto there. are reciprocal clubs in Belleville and Whitby.
It’s 31 ft sailboat and I was think 4-6 knots.
Urbanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 06:16   #5

Boat: J/88

All of the previous posts cover the route and issues well. Two additional points are that the Murray Canal swing bridges do not operate till 24th of May or so and that the trip around the outside of Prince Edward County has basically no places for sailboats to stop till you get to Brighton.
Old 16-02-2024, 06:22   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
All of the previous posts cover the route and issues well. Two additional points are that the Murray Canal swing bridges do not operate till 24th of May or so and that the trip around the outside of Prince Edward County has basically no places for sailboats to stop till you get to Brighton.
Based on feedback from a few friends, Waupoos is a viable stop on the way around the outside. Adds a few miles to the trip though.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 07:16   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Sounds like you are new to this. If so, I strongly recommend that you do not go outside from Bath. Prevailing winds are westerly. Basically Lake Ontario will be trying to get into the Waupoos area while you are trying to get out, it can get very ugly with nowhere to run. At your speed you'd want a very wide window to take that route.
Old 16-02-2024, 07:48   #8

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

One of the members here in Whitby does Trident YC to WYC in a 24 hour-ish period, but he takes crew and they run non-stop until they get to Whitby. Are you trying to deliver or enjoy getting Toronto?

If you want to enjoy, as others have said, take the inside route and make a week of the trip.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 05:37   #9

Boat: C&C 30 MkII

Definitely take the Murray canal route. If in spring you might get lucky and get a north east wind. Brighton to Whitby is doable in a big day.
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 06:25   #10

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Fuel is also available in Cobourg and Whitby. Get a copy of the Ports cruising guide. Has very useful info.