Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2023, 05:11   #1

Florida to the USVI

I was wondering how you hook up with other boats to travel from Florida to the USVI? Are there any groups I can join to see who might be looking for a partner.? We are hoping to head down in November with a motor yacht. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Leighaa13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 06:18   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Florida to the USVI

Not sure where you are planning on leaving from, but I will suggest you can easily hook up with others going your way at least as far as Georgetown in the Bahamas if you go to one of the classic jumping off ports in Florida, like the anchorage in North Lake Worth. There are typically a dozen or more boats there waiting for a weather window to cross to the Bahamas. There are often a few motorboats doing this, but most will be sailboats. Once you get to Georgetown I bet you'll be able to hook up with someone headed further along the route.
Old 03-11-2023, 05:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Not sure where you are planning on leaving from, but I will suggest you can easily hook up with others going your way at least as far as Georgetown in the Bahamas if you go to one of the classic jumping off ports in Florida, like the anchorage in North Lake Worth. There are typically a dozen or more boats there waiting for a weather window to cross to the Bahamas. There are often a few motorboats doing this, but most will be sailboats. Once you get to Georgetown I bet you'll be able to hook up with someone headed further along the route.

Thank you for the information. We are planning on going in about 3 weeks. Just purchased a boat in Maryland and we will be heading down to Florida within 2 weeks.
Leighaa13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 06:06   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Having done FLA>USVI/BVI many times, the normal route a sailboat would take will be dramatically different than a sailboat.

Range will be critical. Suggest you work up rock solid fuel consumption/MPG figures on the trip south.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 07:26   #5

To provide for extended range you should consider utilizing a fuel bladder which can be rolled up and stored once it is emptied and then reused on a long return voyage.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida