Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2023, 04:01   #1

Boat: Island Packet 35
Weather 4D App Review: An alternative to Predict Wind

I’ve been using the Weather 4D app for about 4 years now and thought I’d share some thoughts for folks that might be interested in a cheaper alternative to Predict Wind for weather routing.

First, I have no relationship to or financial interest in the company, other than as a user of their app. This is a review not an advertisement.

Second, it appears that the company is discontinuing their Android version, and future versions will be limited to the iOS platform.

Third, I use the app solely for weather routing, not navigation, so I can’t speak to how well integrated the charting and navigation features work.

Finally, this may be a long post, so you might want to get that coffee or sundowner before you read further.

Okay, what is Weather 4D? It is simply a European (French?) program that combines features of Windy, Predict Wind, and Navionics. The program comes in three versions that give progressively more capability.

Why should you consider Weather 4D? It provides what I have found to be comprehensive weather routing at a considerably cheaper price than Predict Wind. Here’s a quick comparison:
- The Predict Wind app is free to download
- Predict Wind Standard is $249 per year
- Predict Wind Professional (you need this to incorporate coastal and ocean currents) is $499 per year
- Weather 4D does charge for the app; $39 for just weather routing or $55 for weather and navigation
- Weather 4D annual subscription for weather models is a modest $38 per year
- Weather 4D nautical charts require additional annual subscriptions, ranging from $4-90. As I said, I haven’t used this feature so I can speak to the quality or functionality of their navigation features.

So, for basic weather routing, Predict Wind will cost you $299 per year versus $39 per year for Weather 4D. If you want data for currents, then it’s $499 versus $39. Even adding in the purchase of the Weather 4D app, that’s a $200-400 savings the first year. That’s a lot of sundowners.

What if you just want basic weather data without fussing about with routing? In this case Predict Wind (or Windy) are the clear choice. When you buy the Weather 4D app, all you have access to is the basic GFS model. If you want anything else then you need a subscription. Even the free versions of Predict Wind and Windy provide multiple weather models.

Having never used Predict Wind routing, I can’t give a good comparison between the two. However, I have used Weather 4D extensively and find that it is a very powerful planning and routing tool. You can even export your routes to GPX and XLSX format.

Weather 4D also allows you to download weather enroute via GRIB files (saildocs or other source) or directly over the IrridiumGo network. Couple it with StarLink and you have realtime forecasting virtually worldwide.

Connect the device to your onboard network and the app will integrate with AIS, NMEA 0183 and 2000 devices, bluetooth devices, and connected ship’s sensors. If you wanted to, you could convert your iPad or laptop into a fully integrated chart plotter.

Of note, you can also import your boat’s polar data for more accurate calculations.

As I’ve mentioned, I only use the app for weather routing and predeparture planning. Here’s a screenshot for an upcoming trip from Jacksonville to the Abacos.

For planning, I will usually come up with a couple of basic routes to simulate. Typically, fewer waypoints gives the app more flexibility in routing, so I usually just simulate a point to point and then add waypoints as needed. In this case, I want to compare routes for an eastern and western entrance to the islands. Once I have my routes, I then scroll through the forecast to determine approximate departure times. For this trip, I want to make sure I don’t have contrary wind and waves when I cross the Gulf Stream and I want to arrive at the reef entrance during daylight hours, so I can adjust my route and departure time for the best weather conditions and shortest time enroute. Once I’m happy with the route, I can export it and plug it into my GPS.

There is a learning curve, so this isn’t something you’ll want to get the night before departure. However I’ve found that the app is a solid tool for planning and, at this price point, I see no reason why I would migrate to Predict Wind.

Hope somebody finds this useful. If you have any questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.
mshozda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2024, 08:46   #2

Re: Weather 4D App Review: An alternative to Predict Wind

Are you still liking the app? I have been using a similar app: Savvy Navvy and really enjoy it but this one appears to be a good rival. SN does routing, charting, planning and incorporates tides and currents. Weather 4D appears to be a bit more sophisticated. Do you find it well supported? The installed base seems pretty small as you are about the only review on the internet.
EdenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2024, 12:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenRose View Post
Are you still liking the app? I have been using a similar app: Savvy Navvy and really enjoy it but this one appears to be a good rival. SN does routing, charting, planning and incorporates tides and currents. Weather 4D appears to be a bit more sophisticated. Do you find it well supported? The installed base seems pretty small as you are about the only review on the internet.
Yes, I’m still using it. It isn’t as elegant as PredictWind, but it does what I want it to do at a fraction of the cost. As far as support, the manual is fairly comprehensive and well laid out, although I have had to dig around and read a few sections a multiple times to figure out some of the features and applications. I have never had to reach out to the company for anything. I guess that’s good, since the best customer service is a product that doesn’t force you to call customer service. Overall, I’d still recommend the app.
Old 18-03-2024, 09:54   #4

I think my issue with it is the cost of the charts for Weather 4D. Savvy Navvy includes the entire world of charts. Weather 4D charges by region and some are quite expensive...as much as Navionics regions.
EdenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 11:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenRose View Post
I think my issue with it is the cost of the charts for Weather 4D. Savvy Navvy includes the entire world of charts. Weather 4D charges by region and some are quite expensive...as much as Navionics regions.
As I mentioned, I don’t use Wx 4D for charting so I can’t compare that cost nor assess the functionality of the charting features. There are enough other free and paid charting resources that I never gave those features more than a cursory look. I seem to remember seeing the prices and deciding not to look any further.

For me it is purely a weather routing tool. It doesn’t provide all of the flash of Predict wind, but it provides me the ability to compare multiple routes with multiple departure times across multiple weather models at a significantly reduced cost. That’s all I’m really looking for from the app.

If you want free or nearly free charting and navigation, then take a look at OpenCPN. This is an open source mapping and navigation app that can do virtually everything that Navionics can do, although not quite as seamlessly or elegantly. There are multiple sources of free charts out there. Of course, you’re unlikely to find an off the shelf chart plotter that will let you load OpenCPN, so you’ll have to run it off a tablet or phone. There are weather proof tablets available that run Linux that you could load with OpenCPN as well as hook into your NMEA2000 network, but I found that that isn’t any cheaper than buying a chart plotter from Raymarine, Simrad, or one of the other companies.
Old 18-03-2024, 12:24   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshozda View Post
As I mentioned, I don’t use Wx 4D for charting so I can’t compare that cost nor assess the functionality of the charting features. There are enough other free and paid charting resources that I never gave those features more than a cursory look. I seem to remember seeing the prices and deciding not to look any further.

For me it is purely a weather routing tool. It doesn’t provide all of the flash of Predict wind, but it provides me the ability to compare multiple routes with multiple departure times across multiple weather models at a significantly reduced cost. That’s all I’m really looking for from the app.

If you want free or nearly free charting and navigation, then take a look at OpenCPN. This is an open source mapping and navigation app that can do virtually everything that Navionics can do, although not quite as seamlessly or elegantly. There are multiple sources of free charts out there. Of course, you’re unlikely to find an off the shelf chart plotter that will let you load OpenCPN, so you’ll have to run it off a tablet or phone. There are weather proof tablets available that run Linux that you could load with OpenCPN as well as hook into your NMEA2000 network, but I found that that isn’t any cheaper than buying a chart plotter from Raymarine, Simrad, or one of the other companies.
But without a chart, how do you plan a route? Do you need to enter coordinates and how does the app know to sail around an island or point?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 15:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
But without a chart, how do you plan a route? Do you need to enter coordinates and how does the app know to sail around an island or point?
It comes with global satellite imagery and, I’d assume, enough of a gps database to do what it needs to do. You can set the closest approach to shore for your route simulations from 0 to 20 nm. There are several other factors you can adjust, such as max allowable wind and wave height, waypoints, etc.

Again, I do my final route planning and navigation on Navionics or OpenCPN and use Weather 4d for weather planning. Typically, I’ll start in Wx4D with just a departure and arrival point to see what general route it will give me, then I’ll add waypoints as needed to avoid hazards, cross the Gulf Stream, etc. Next, I start tweaking departure times to optimize weather, wind, and enroute time. After that I go to my chart plotter and add points to approximate the route in Wx4D. You can export the route from Wx4D, but it spits out dozens of waypoints, one for each weather calculation it made, which is way too much for a sailboat going 6 or 7 knots.

The screenshot I posted above is typical of what you’ll see in Wx4D with the included imagery.
Old 18-03-2024, 16:14   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It comes with global satellite imagery and, I’d assume, enough of a gps database to do what it needs to do. You can set the closest approach to shore for your route simulations from 0 to 20 nm. There are several other factors you can adjust, such as max allowable wind and wave height, waypoints, etc.

Again, I do my final route planning and navigation on Navionics or OpenCPN and use Weather 4d for weather planning. Typically, I’ll start in Wx4D with just a departure and arrival point to see what general route it will give me, then I’ll add waypoints as needed to avoid hazards, cross the Gulf Stream, etc. Next, I start tweaking departure times to optimize weather, wind, and enroute time. After that I go to my chart plotter and add points to approximate the route in Wx4D. You can export the route from Wx4D, but it spits out dozens of waypoints, one for each weather calculation it made, which is way too much for a sailboat going 6 or 7 knots.

The screenshot I posted above is typical of what you’ll see in Wx4D with the included imagery.
I looked in the appstore and see it foolishly sailing into the gulf stream, but on your image this is avoided. Did you use waypoints for that? Because I don’t see much difference with PredictWind although PredictWind does route correctly around the gulf stream.

Old 18-03-2024, 18:00   #9

Quote:
I looked in the appstore and see it foolishly sailing into the gulf stream, but on your image this is avoided. Did you use waypoints for that? Because I don’t see much difference with PredictWind although PredictWind does route correctly around the gulf stream.
You can use waypoints to do that if needed. I usually let it do its thing first and then add waypoints if needed.
Old 19-03-2024, 04:18   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You can use waypoints to do that if needed. I usually let it do its thing first and then add waypoints if needed.
In the screenshot you posted, which are the waypoints you added and how can it have multiple destinations? It seems very different from PredictWind where all possible routes share the same start and end points as well as any additional waypoints.

Old 19-03-2024, 04:52   #11

Quote:
In the screenshot you posted, which are the waypoints you added and how can it have multiple destinations? It seems very different from PredictWind where all possible routes share the same start and end points as well as any additional waypoints.
That screenshot is from a year ago, so I don’t know what, if any, additional waypoints I added. More than likely I added waypoints to for the Gulf Stream crossing at a specific place. I do know that I was comparing two different routes for an east or west entrance into the Abacos with two different times for each.

In Wx4D you can run and display as many simulations as you want with the same route or a different route.
Old 19-03-2024, 06:37   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That screenshot is from a year ago, so I don’t know what, if any, additional waypoints I added. More than likely I added waypoints to for the Gulf Stream crossing at a specific place. I do know that I was comparing two different routes for an east or west entrance into the Abacos with two different times for each.

In Wx4D you can run and display as many simulations as you want with the same route or a different route.
That’s cool!

Could you do a test run from let’s say St Augustine to Great Sale Cay without any intermediate waypoints for tomorrow? If so, I can do the same on PredictWind and we can compare screenshots

Old 19-03-2024, 11:03   #13

Quote:
That’s cool!

Could you do a test run from let’s say St Augustine to Great Sale Cay without any intermediate waypoints for tomorrow? If so, I can do the same on PredictWind and we can compare screenshots
This is using a 1600 UTC (1200 Eastern) departure. Red icon is the straight line, green is GFS and blue is the European (ECMWF).

Old 19-03-2024, 11:49   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And here is PredictWind. I disabled all the extra models so the same two are plotted.

Interesting that one doesn’t use Memory Rock but White Sand Ridge or Matanilla Shoal while I think that should normally always be the preferred entry onto the bank when coming from the north.

Very similar, think I may switch next season
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5294.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	287804  

Old 20-03-2024, 12:56   #15

Quote:
Very similar, think I may switch next season
I do think it’s worth a try for a year. Even if you find that you like PW better, you’d only be out $100 ($40 for the app and $60 for the annual subscription).

Tags
weather, wind