Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 14:00   #61

Re: Offshore weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Be aware the Iridium 9505A does not have data capability without a whole lot of expensive (at least I think so) add-ons like RS232 interfaces etc. if you want data capability, get a 9555. More expensive to buy but cheaper in the long run.

We have a 9505A on board but it is only for keeping in touch with family occasionally or for emergency comms. To convert for data is for us, not an option.
You just need the serial 9505A adapter and a serial to USB and then you have the same connectability as a 9555 or 9575.

I ended up getting the 9575
Old 01-05-2016, 14:03   #62

Boat: Morgan 44 Centre cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
You just need the serial 9505A adapter and a serial to USB and then you have the same connectability as a 9555 or 9575.
That I knew - have you priced these? Your 9575 would have been a financially better deal. IIRC the serial adapter is US$195. We have chosen not to bother.
Omatako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 14:16   #63

Not so bad

NEW Data Internet Connector FOR Motorola Iridium 9505A Satellite Phone | eBay

Data Internet Connector FOR Motorola Iridium 9500 AND 9505 Satellite Phone | eBay

And the serial to USB cable can be got cheap if you look around

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...ant=5717179013
Old 01-05-2016, 14:33   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
That I knew - have you priced these? Your 9575 would have been a financially better deal. IIRC the serial adapter is US$195. We have chosen not to bother.
The price difference between the 9505A & 9555 is so minimal, so even if you can get serial/USB gear for the prices I found, it is probably better to get the 9555 anyway.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:14   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I have a notebook CP program and a GPS puck for open water but coastal I use paper and MK1 in the main.
If I lose power then my passage chart, speed/depth log and DR is good enough to get me to the general area I want to be then.. its X bearings to get to port..
So far.. So good..!! as the Jumper said passing each floor..

Thanks Zee.. but there's better sailors than me by the hundreds here.. I just know how to get across...
How distracting for you!
Old 02-05-2016, 04:17   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

I worked for years in a job that was about processing often contradictory information very quickly to determine what was useful and accurate and what was not. I would rather have several information streams that can be compared and contrasted. For weather, that means at a minimum, GRIBs and a pro (Chris Parker, when he's available). It's a combination that has worked quite well for me.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:32   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Offshore weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
How distracting for you!
Sigh..!! I know..
But such is life these days.. folks need the variety of TV screens to cope with the short attention spans many folk seem to have these days..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:45   #68
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill99 View Post
Hi,the answer to my question is probably in here already,but being new here, I do not know where to look.
Going offshore in a sailing boat.What is the cheapest,most reliable way to get weather information.Thank you in advance.
Hi,
This is Topher from Global Marine Networks.

Global Marine Networds has free weather solutions for every level of sailor – from weekend cruisers to full time commercial fishermen. We now offer a free version of PredictWind PredictWind Marine Weather and Wind Forecasting Software | GMN that is upgradable with every XGate Satellite Email subscription or as a stand alone service.

We also have an incredibly popular free GRIB file service that has been used by thousands of sailors for more than a decade.

FREE GRIB Files from GMN Marine Weather Services
Old 02-05-2016, 15:14   #69

I want to thank everyone for their contributions. Very helpful.
bill99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 16:19   #70
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I worked for years in a job that was about processing often contradictory information very quickly to determine what was useful and accurate and what was not. I would rather have several information streams that can be compared and contrasted. For weather, that means at a minimum, GRIBs and a pro (Chris Parker, when he's available). It's a combination that has worked quite well for me.
Totally agree Sneuman....
Weather forecasting is the science of "variables" and an intelligent sailor compares every model available to achieve a long range con census of what will develop along his route. Otherwise it is just crisis management even if you are an accomplished meteorologist who can read the local developments.

The facts are....you don't have the changing upper level data at sea to appreciate the steering influences to position yourself in the most comfortable quadrant of a developing system.

On ocean passages, I have many times altered course days ahead of a wandering intersecting system, based on data not observable to me at sea.

What Boatie suggest is simply bravado and not advised unless you are addicted to adventures delivering other people's boats...

Personally....I am happy with SSB borne wx data if I can collect more than one data base model.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 16:59   #71
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Pelagic;2111574]
What Boatie suggest is simply bravado and not advised unless you are addicted to adventures delivering other people's boats...
QUOTE]

Bravado...??
Maybe..
But I've yet to sink or abandon a boat in 40yrs of ownership and deliveries..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 02-05-2016, 17:17   #72

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

It ain't braggin' if it's true...

Boatie knows more about sailing across oceans and reading weather patterns than 99.9% of the members here. He could teach each of us a lot. Expensive technology is alright but knowing how to use your own eyes and brain is priceless. So my advice is to listen to what he says. It's based on experience over many years.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 17:36   #73
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

This isn't about Boatie or his groupie following, but about advising another sailor about budget ways to get weather intelligence offshore.

There are many professional mariners on this forum who transit oceans in all seasons. I doubt that any of them would advocate ignoring the opportunity to receive regular weather updates.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 17:40   #74
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
It ain't braggin' if it's true...

Boatie knows more about sailing across oceans and reading weather patterns than 99.9% of the members here. He could teach each of us a lot. Expensive technology is alright but knowing how to use your own eyes and brain is priceless. So my advice is to listen to what he says. It's based on experience over many years.

Thanks mate.. but to everyone else..
Just use what's best for You.. some folks will 'get it'.. some will not.. but this covers a range of subjects/trades.
I don't claim infallibility in any form, I just prefer to trust me.. that's why I hate being a passenger.. cars, boats or planes..
Also... Don't forget the personality behind the posts... so take it all with a pinch of salt..

I could just be winding you up..

Pelagic.. one thing you may have noticed.. or not..
I say what I do and do not do.. I never say its the only way.
I stated I'm dumping my SSB and drew some sarcasm so 'Game On'...

Old 02-05-2016, 22:12   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

I don't claim infallibility in any form
Noooooo don't say that, that is one of the key beliefs of the cult of boatie followers. What's next? You will try to tell us that you are not omnipresent?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
offshore, weather