Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2019, 07:04   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Dorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I think that much of Abacos, if not all of it, will end up abandoned, for decades, if not forever. Bet you this has the people who were about to rebuild Walker’s Cay, rethinking that idea (and, look how long it took for someone to even seriously entertain that idea).

I really hope I’m wrong.

I think your correct, a lot of the Family Islands houses and other infrastructure seemed to date back to the 70’s, I’d assume before the British left, but I was a kid and never visited them, so it’s just a guess, but there seemed to be no new development and very few jobs, many seemed to be subsistence living, almost all the roofs etc were very old, little to no new upkeep of houses etc.
Point being it looked like a lot of small Southern towns in the US, you can tell they are dieing out.
I doubt much will be rebuilt, there just didn’t seem to be the money to do so, but in a couple of years wealthy people will likely begin to build there, I saw a lot of big modern houses that I don’t think were owned by average Bahamian folk as we traveled by, had me wondering what the people did? I assume they visited for short stays, seems life would get boring real quick otherwise?

I believe that many if not almost all will be evacuated and they will begin a new life wherever they are evacuated to.

I’ve seen news reports that at least one cruise ship offering free passage to Fl as long as the people had “papers” but not sure what that meant, Bahamians with visa’s? How many could that be? I bet though that many have family in the US, Fl really isn’t far at all.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:29   #167
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Here is a link to hundreds of high resolution aerial pictures of Abacos post-Dorian.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dwUlk2Wmd2Ykln

That link was lifted from the Hope Town Sailing Club website.
https://www.hopetownsailingclub.com/
Wow. Thanks for sharing that. It puts the situation into perspective.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:45   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

I’ve seen news reports that at least one cruise ship offering free passage to Fl as long as the people had “papers” but not sure what that meant, Bahamians with visa’s? How many could that be? I bet though that many have family in the US, Fl really isn’t far at all.
Yeah, compare that to Bahamian Immigration, who lets any American who wants to stay in the Bahamas for a while, just show up without a visa and be admitted immediately.

We should be letting all of the injured in, at the very least, on humanitarian grounds, and just to be as good a neighbor to them as they have been to us.

While we turn these needy people down, people who don't need anything, are jumping the fence and entering illegally, and getting to stay here.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:17   #169
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

From the Embassy of the United States in The Bahamas:
“Please be advised that Immigrant Visa Interviews that were scheduled for September 10th, 2019 have been cancelled. Also note that responses to routine inquiries are currently suspended and will be delayed in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian...”
https://bs.usembassy.gov/visas/

Quote:
... I’ve seen news reports that at least one cruise ship offering free passage to Fl as long as the people had “papers” but not sure what that meant ...
Perhaps it meant "e-passports" (enhanced security documents c/w embedded chip/strip, like a credit card).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:47   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dorian

Quote:
Yeah, compare that to Bahamian Immigration, who lets any American who wants to stay in the Bahamas for a while, just show up without a visa and be admitted immediately.

We should be letting all of the injured in, at the very least, on humanitarian grounds, and just to be as good a neighbor to them as they have been to us.

While we turn these needy people down, people who don't need anything, are jumping the fence and entering illegally, and getting to stay here.

To be completely fair, the let us in and allow us to stay after we pay $300, now apparently doubling, and allow us to stay as long as we are able to prove that we have the funds to do so.
We aren’t Immigrating, we are visiting, which is a completely different thing entirely.

Now, I’m not saying that is a bad thing, I believe it’s the way it should be, many countries won’t let you in if you fly in, without a return ticket etc.
I’ve done business with many different countries and proving you have the finances to not become a burden and paid way back is common.

Majority of the Bahamas is fine, unhurt. No logical reason that I can see that they shouldn’t just go to another island until they decide what’s next, try to rebuild or make a new home here?

I agree “we” should as being humanitarians send housing and food, medical care, clean water plants etc.
Thankfully the Bahamas is a mild climate, as a person who has lived for extended periods in much worse climates in GP medium tents, I think they would actually be excellent temporary shelter, and “tent cities” exist, complete with communal kitchens, showers etc.

We could bring in thousands of Bahamian’s and maybe put them up in the old Air Force base in S Fl a hurricane destroyed in tent cities, but that does nothing for them long term, relocating them in the Bahama’s could be a long term solution.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:51   #171
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
From the Embassy of the United States in The Bahamas:
“Please be advised that Immigrant Visa Interviews that were scheduled for September 10th, 2019 have been cancelled. Also note that responses to routine inquiries are currently suspended and will be delayed in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian...”
https://bs.usembassy.gov/visas/

Perhaps it meant "e-passports" (enhanced security documents c/w embedded chip/strip, like a credit card).

I believe passports were mentioned, but I would think the average Bahamian may not have one anymore than the average US citizen does, and did it survive even if you had one?
Another way of saying that I wouldn’t expect that to help many victims that lost their house etc.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:21   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
To be completely fair, the let us in and allow us to stay after we pay $300, now apparently doubling, and allow us to stay as long as we are able to prove that we have the funds to do so.
We aren’t Immigrating, we are visiting, which is a completely different thing entirely.

Now, I’m not saying that is a bad thing, I believe it’s the way it should be, many countries won’t let you in if you fly in, without a return ticket etc.
I’ve done business with many different countries and proving you have the finances to not become a burden and paid way back is common.

Majority of the Bahamas is fine, unhurt. No logical reason that I can see that they shouldn’t just go to another island until they decide what’s next, try to rebuild or make a new home here?

I agree “we” should as being humanitarians send housing and food, medical care, clean water plants etc.
Thankfully the Bahamas is a mild climate, as a person who has lived for extended periods in much worse climates in GP medium tents, I think they would actually be excellent temporary shelter, and “tent cities” exist, complete with communal kitchens, showers etc.

We could bring in thousands of Bahamian’s and maybe put them up in the old Air Force base in S Fl a hurricane destroyed in tent cities, but that does nothing for them long term, relocating them in the Bahama’s could be a long term solution.
I definitely think that most of them are going to need a new place to live somewhere. Having witnessed a similar cleanup on the gulf coast, where massive resources were brought to bear, and where it still took a couple of years to pickup and haul off all of the debris, I am having a hard time picturing how anything is going to be cleaned up anytime soon there.

Maybe, I'm wrong. I sure hope so.
Old 07-09-2019, 13:44   #173
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Besides the " Bahamians" living in the Abaco's, I believe that there is also a large contingent of Jamaicans that arrived there after a hurricane devastated Jamaica some years back....not clear on the numbers, but likely they will have little or no " documentation" of any sort to provided entry into the USA...talking of which....proving one's citizenship is going to be a Herculean task as I'm sure that documentation must have been strewn to the four corners of the globe.

The hotel and yachting industry will likely bounce back once the insurance money starts rolling in, but for the average Joe in the street, future looks bleak for Abaco.

I know that there must also be a large contingent of US citizens that live there (mostly at Treasure Cay) or have holiday homes there...so not sure how that will play out either...I trust that insurance money will roll in there as well...

I am curious to know how those little communities at Crown Haven or Grand Cay made out...they live very isolated lives..

All told, my opinion remains the same....it will take years for this area to recuperate.....if ever....

The final body count is going to be staggering imo....if this is ever tallied...

My first visit there was in the early 80's...it was quite the " sleepy" place back then...tourism had not quite arrived yet...but in the interim the Abaco's have blossomed into quite the tourist/yachting hub, I see the Abaco's reverting to the " sleepy" place it once was..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 14:25   #174
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Besides the " Bahamians" living in the Abaco's, I believe that there is also a large contingent of Jamaicans that arrived there after a hurricane devastated Jamaica some years back...
The Mudd and Pigeon Pea, two shanty towns that sit side by side in the heart of Marsh Harbour, were home to thousands of Haitians, many illegal immigrants, and many born there (of Haitian parents).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 14:48   #175

Boat: Bristol 27

So another thing I need to add is that the boats at your marina that no one ever seems to come to or take care of...….that doesn't change during a hurricane or before/after.

Those boats are still tired on by their old weak, frayed, and dirty lines only.

Luckily for me this time the boat beside me that no one ever comes to was being blown away from me

The boat across from me with the blown out jib is still that way today when the wind is max of about 8 knots even though a guy came down yesterday and retied the mainsail boom and stared at the jib for 10 - 15 minutes with a line in his hand and then left!?

I have yet to see the owners of the Cape Dory 28 or the NOR'SEA 27 across from me and they didn't show up before or after the storm. That NOR'SEA 27 has been here since 2010 and I have never seen anyone on it

So you can do you best to take care of your boat but does it really help in certain situations?

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 16:52   #176
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Yes...my bad...sorry....Haitians...not Jamaican's..... back to geography class for me....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 17:36   #177

Boat: Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The Mudd and Pigeon Pea, two shanty towns that sit side by side in the heart of Marsh Harbour, were home to thousands of Haitians, many illegal immigrants, and many born there (of Haitian parents).
I have 2 observations on Marsh Harbour.

1. Between the Mudd & Pea and the harbor is the government dock. You will notice the number of 'free' shipping containers all over the place. It seems clear to me that the stacks of containers were not secured, or not secured properly prior to Dorian's arrival.

2. Doesn't the Bahamian Government bare some responsibility for the condition of the homes in the Mudd & Pea? I'm assuming that there are minimum building standards. Maybe I'm wrong.

I've been there and seen the homes in the area first hand. It could not have been a surprise to anyone what 185 - 220 MPH winds would do there.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 21:25   #178

Quote:

Maybe if we did not have such a big problems with jumping the fence we would have room for all of the world that really need help and would appreciate are kindness
joshash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 21:32   #179
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshash View Post
Maybe if we did not have such a big problems with jumping the fence we would have room for all of the world that really need help and would appreciate are kindness
That's a funny post.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:56   #180

Boat: Pearson 365 Ketch

I personally haven't been to these places yet. But I feel really good about comments that already seem to show that the cruising community also contains people who strike me as inconsiderate jerks. I almost thought it was some kind of magical place where folks worked together for the good of humanity. I am super naive I guess. More to learn! And I do love me some learning. Thanks!
Jordan-Flomad is offline   Reply With Quote