Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2023, 05:11   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Boat shoe lifespan

Has anyone tried any of the spray-on grip or traction products?
https://www.amazon.com/shoe-grip-spr...hoe+grip+spray

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 10:39   #17

Someone gave me a gift of Astral deck shoes and they lasted about 7 years before finally getting some holes around my big toe. No problems with grip, stiffness, etc.

But, as mentioned by others, I had some $5 (NZ dollars even!) slip on shoes from The Warehouse in NZ that were just as comfortable, had just as good a grip, and lasted almost as long (5 years, but then value for money...).
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 10:51   #18

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I've never found any type of running shoe has good traction on wet fiberglass decks, and the ones I have owned also leave black marks that are hard to remove. Some shoes that have great dry traction are absolutely treacherous on wet decks. Crocs are a prime example. I do use New Balance trainers for long walks ashore, but I take them off when onboard.
Try Nike Air Max 95's.

They are hard to beat for comfort.

https://www.nike.com/t/air-max-95-pr...a&gclsrc=3p.ds
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 11:40   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

I'm giving trainers from Topo a try. Only been aboard once with them: Felt good, nice grip. Also, I have a wide foot and these trainers have a wide toe box. Very comfy for me.
Old 22-11-2023, 17:31   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I THINK I figured out the Sperry sole hardening problem. We live in South Texas, and now our boat is in Panama. Because it's often hot, I'd kick my shoes off when visiting other boats - or when on our boat - and turn them over to keep them from getting hot. The UV killed the soles when I did this.

Sure wish Lands End still made their deck shoes. Loved 'em.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 17:48   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

a. ALL of the manufactures will tell you to wear them on concrete. Do NOT save them for the boat. I was writing an article and contacted them.
b. Yes, sanding will buy you 1 year.
c. No, new Balance anything does NOT have the grip of a good deck shoe. I've tested them side by side on many surfaces. Just not the same thing. If you don't care, fine. Same with a lot of cheap sneakers. That said, I often wear sneakers. But good deck shoes are better when it is sporty.

I'm still testing brands, but long lasting grip and very high grip don't often go together. Good grip and even high grip, but not very high grip.
Old 22-11-2023, 22:43   #22

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

I have a pair of 35 year old Tevas I found way down deep in a locker. I put them on and they were like ice skates, hard and slippery .... dangerous. Being the cheap bastard I am, for grins I took a belt sander to the soless. I wore them around all last summer, they had good grip, so get the slick surface finish off and down to fresh rubber
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 07:32   #23

I'm another person that used to be firmly in the Sperry camp but my last two pairs have been great... for a short while, then "meh" for a longer while, and then terrible for quite a long while, though I still used them in the cockpit. Wore both of my last pairs until the outer sole was completely worn away in spots. I won't be buying another pair.

Still haven't found a replacement for them yet, though my winter wear are Zhik ocean boots.
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 08:14   #24

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
I think not wearing the shoes ashore allows them to harden up and get slippery sooner. Constant wear and scuffing helps to keep them sticky on deck, but wearing the shoes around does have the potential to bring dirt onboard and creates wear on the tread. Frankly, I buy a lot of boat shoes and gradually cycle them off the boat once they become slippery. Each spring brings a need for a pair of disposable shoes to wear while painting the bottom, so that is a good use for old shoes. Lately, I found some of the HUK fishing shoes quite comfy and good, though the soles wear fast. In more traditional boat shoes I have an older pair of Sebago shoes that the soles have just about worn out, but are still pretty good non-slip. Astral shoes are good too. https://astraldesigns.com/collection...-outdoor-shoes
I discovered the same problem with my Sperry's. If I wear them off the boat especially on hot asphalt (parking lots...) the bottoms harden up and turn as slippery as glass.

Also I had a pair of Sperry's where the "Starbrite Non-Skid Deck Cleaner Spray" I was using literally dissolved the glue in my deck shoes and the bottoms fell apart...

My two cents

cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 08:25   #25

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Not wearing the shoes off the boat to save the soles is counter-productive. The outer couple thousandths of the soles get oxidized, harder, and slippery. Wearing them off the boat, like walking on a sidewalk, creates sufficient wear to keep a fresh contact surface with good grip.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 11:05   #26

Boat: Bristol 27

Hiking Boots!

They last quite a while on a boat and for hiking.

Plus when my boat is well heeled over they are better for standing on sharper surfaces.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 13:53   #27

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I have found that Timberland boat mocs have soles that stay soft and grippy for years. Mine are nearly worn through under the balls of my feet and they are still gripping. I will probably be replacing them with like.

My old DuBarry sea boots had soles that turned hard (all the way through the bottom layer) and were very slippery. They had been stored inside and had modest usage; I believe that the hardening rubber was simply a matter of time, and possibly heat, but certainly not UV light. I really liked the dry, ventilated design (mostly GoreTex-lined Cordura and leather) but the price was very high; considering the short lifespan I won't be buying them again. Also, the soft foam mid-soles turned to powder and made one hell of a mess in the locker. But the memory of the toasty dry feet lingers...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 14:08   #28

Riomar shoes are my favorite. The quality and comfort are exceptional. Fits true to size. Made in Portugal to a high standard. Worth the $150-220 they charge when a sale is not going on. You can buy them directly from the company on their website. I have three pairs and I sold.

Anyone else have them?
kindrunnermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 16:01   #29

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
I've never found any type of running shoe has good traction on wet fiberglass decks, and the ones I have owned also leave black marks that are hard to remove. Some shoes that have great dry traction are absolutely treacherous on wet decks. Crocs are a prime example. I do use New Balance trainers for long walks ashore, but I take them off when onboard.
My wife and I have Teva and Keen hiking sandals, that are beyond awesome on the trail and wet/slippery rocks. Even though they have black soles, we've never seen a black mark. We'd love if they worked on the boat, but we both have come to the conclusion that somehow they are useless/dangerous on the boat, even in the slip. Go figure.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2023, 12:15   #30

Boat: Hunter 54

[QUOTE=CrispyCringle;3844134]Merrell Vapor Glove mocs for the win. Fantastic traction. Zero padding so not good for hikes. But for the boat, I love them. Like barefoot, but with a some protection.

"Like barefoot, but with some protection" indeed.
Airy.
Easy wash.
Easy dry.
Easy to slip on but secure for a quick dash on the deck.

amazon.com/DLGJPA-Drying-Sports-Lightweight-Walking........
Ahmet Erkan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat