Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 20:50   #1

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
What Is a "Shoe" on a Boat?

Sorrry I have to ask such a simple question but when I googled it I was given 120,000 results about Sperry Topsiders and Timberland Shoes but nothing more that I could find in that haystack.

Please be gentle with me....Thanks.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 20:56   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Some boats have a sacrificial "shoe" under the keel..For worms to eat away nn but saving the wooden real Keel.

I fiberglassed a sacrificial shoe under my fiberglass keel..Just in case I ran aground so the real keel wound not get the grinding action while I tried to kedge off...It worked like a champ when I finally got stuck on e reef. Shoe damaged beyonnd repair, real keel good as gold...
Old 07-05-2009, 21:50   #3

Boat: 44 footer
Many large wooden work boats have a steel shoe bolted to their keels to spread the weight out when they are hauled on railways so as to not crush their keels...

Whole lot of weight setting on not a whole lot of surface area!

There are also rudder shoes, which capture the end of the shaft at the keel... sort of like a huge gudgeon, where the shaft is the pintle.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:52   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
In engineering, a "shoe" is a protective and/or sacrificial pad, intended to protect the underlying structure from wear, much as a person’s shoe protects the foot, or a brake shoe protects the drum.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:34   #5

Thanks guys, I would have known had it been refered to as a worm shoe, now I find out there are lots of "shoes" out there for sacrifice to other things than worms. Cool, makes sense.

This boat has a yard bid for $9K, yeah 9 THOUSAND AMERICAN DOLLARS, just for the shoe. There was some other work that needs to be done, priced as above. Like above water line soft spot on transom and some rot on the house. The John Deere 12.5kw get home is in middle of overhaul, dissambled. I am willing to bet da Mule can "git er done" and da Mule can do most, if not all. What I cannot do I bettcha I know a Cajun in Lake Charles that would love to do what I cannot for a lot less. If that is still unaffordable I will be asking you guys for yards in Mexico or Central or South America if I get the guts to pull the trigger on this.

Sad story on this boat, reason it is for sale (not sail) is because the owner, at this yard, fell off the top of it, killed the poor guy graveyard dead.

1980 Beebe Passagemaker Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Here is another boat of intrest, that appears to be turn key. Both you notice are wood, and that, as I understand it, makes lenders so nervous as to make financing unaffordable or completely unavailable. With less than 5% money available for homes I guess I will have another mortagage if I find those guts.

Any opinions on these 2 from you guys?.

1953 U.S. Navy design Pilothouse Liveaboard Cruising Trawler Commercial Boat For
Old 08-05-2009, 11:48   #6

Boat: Ericson 35' Mk II - Madrigal
Send a message via AIM to jenny.caron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Please be gentle with me....Thanks.
Mule,

This is the one reason I have a hard time with forums...why are people so rude to one another on forums? Why must we be afraid to ask simple questions? It is the perfect setting to ask a simple question (or should be) and yet, people like to pick on others.

Sorry for the rant. I'm glad you got your answer without any rudeness...I just wish that it were a given that people would be respectful and kind.
jenny.caron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:59   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny.caron View Post
Mule,

This is the one reason I have a hard time with forums...why are people so rude to one another on forums? Why must we be afraid to ask simple questions? It is the perfect setting to ask a simple question (or should be) and yet, people like to pick on others.

Sorry for the rant. I'm glad you got your answer without any rudeness...I just wish that it were a given that people would be respectful and kind.
Well, here at Cruisers Forum it is a given, Jenny. It's right in the rules that we all agreed to when we joined:

We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.

Occasionally, some members let their emotions overpower their cool, rational judgment, but it doesn't usually get out of hand. As you see, Mule had no reason to be concerned.

TaoJones
Old 08-05-2009, 12:01   #8

Boat: Ericson 35' Mk II - Madrigal
Send a message via AIM to jenny.caron
Tao,

Thanks for the quick response. I am still pretty new to this forum, but have found that on many (most) others, people are very quick to pick on others. Glad to hear it isn't a problem around here!
jenny.caron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:35   #9
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Tao, you pompous pr***! They elevate you to moderator and now all is sweetness and light! Only kidding, of course. Congrats to those responsible on this site for your selection. You may not be a man of few words, but unlike yours truly, they are at least inevitably well chosen.

Cheers!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:48   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Tao, you pompous pr***! They elevate you to moderator and now all is sweetness and light! Only kidding, of course. Congrats to those responsible on this site for your selection. You may not be a man of few words, but unlike yours truly, they are at least inevitably well chosen.

Cheers!

Brad
Hey - I resemble that remark!

TaoJones
Old 08-05-2009, 14:46   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Another (and related) use of the term "shoe" is a "weed shoe" which is found on boats like Island Packet, for instance. The weed shoe is an arm that supports the lower end of the rudder post on one end and is attached to the trailing lower edge of a modified full keel on the other.

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 15:03   #12

lesss seee, we gots a shoe, worm shoe, weed shoe, sole then there is a drift sock....What else???

Any comments about that 9k worm shoe?
Old 08-05-2009, 16:52   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
....What else???
My St Croix davits on the last boat were removable. They mounted to the stern rail via a "shoe" that was bolted to a bracket attached to the boat. The shoe allowed you to slide the davit aft toward bow into the shoe them lock it with a pin. A shoe can also be something used to mount something else since "you slip into it".

As with automobile brake shoes and many of the above they are commonly refereed to as something planned to wear away during normal use vs something that did wear away and no one thought it would. That could not be a shoe.

Not to be confuse with your hair that falls out as you age. It's a head / feet thing too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 16:58   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
A shoe can also be something used to mount something else since "you slip into it".
Indeed . . . the mount at the top of a camera for a flash unit is a "hot shoe."

TaoJones
Old 08-05-2009, 19:16   #15

Boat: Irwin sloop
What are the dimensions and material of the shoe?
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote