Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2019, 14:21   #391

Boat: Kelly Peterson 44 Cutter
Re: Wiring In Series (pro vs con)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Nun uhh! One battery failure and your whole bank is useless.

Only 2v batteries DO NOT FAIL. Utility companies use them all the time.
pacific_voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 05:26   #392
Zil

You do realize every lead acid battery is just 2 volt cells connected in series? I would be very interested in which 2 volt cells do not fail.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 06:15   #393

Boat: Tayana 42 PH Trawler

House bank re-config we completed last year to upgrade from 4 wired in series golf cart batts. Seven 12v Trog T1275 lined up side to side, wire in parallel, short jumpers + and - sides, get about 1K ah. Simple and clean. Added Magnum 2812 inv/cgr w/ full diagnostics. Been working super last 12 months.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 12:15   #394

Boat: Kelly Peterson 44 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
You do realize every lead acid battery is just 2 volt cells connected in series? I would be very interested in which 2 volt cells do not fail.
Yes, I'm aware of that. It does not negate what I said. I'll ask you, how many 12v batteries are you aware of with a single cell that fail? It doesn't prove anything, but neither does the fact that 12 volt batteries are made up of individual 2v cells.

My research and observations are that stand-alone high capacity 2 volt cells do not fail. This is backed up by everyone I've asked including people who worked with utility companies that have really big 2V batteries. I'm sure that there are some failures somewhere, but for practical purposes I don't think so.

As to the fellow who just hooked up SEVEN batteries in parallel... that is a recipe for an early degradation of the bank. Parallel strings need to be minimized. One of my sources (Tom Duffy @ solar-biz) believes each parallel string knocks 30% off the life of the bank.
pacific_voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 12:50   #395

Boat: Tayana 42 PH Trawler

The ideal battery bank also is the simplest, consisting of a single series string of cells that are sized for the job. This design minimizes maintenance and the possibility of random manufacturing defects. Suppose you require a 700‑amp-hour (AH) bank. You can approximate that with a single string of 700 AH industrial-size batteries, or two parallel strings of 350 AH batteries, or three strings of 220 AH (golf cart) batteries. Internal cell failures in single string will happen in both series and parallel batt configs. Buy good quality batts, use heaviest and shortest custom marine DC cables.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 13:03   #396

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The 2v industrial batteres are made for true deep cycle performance. They are typically rated (not that battery manufacturers’ lab tests mean much in the real world) for 8000 cycles @ 20% discharge and 3000 cycles @ 50% discharge. The standby life is listed as 20+ years.

In practice they make an excellent house bank, with a well proven long cycle life. They should be considered more often, especially for boats with solar as the primary charge source.

The lack of redundancy can be managed by choosing batteries with half the desired capacity. This means wiring two sets of six batteries. The 2v spiral wound batteries are not modified car batteries. The design goal places a high premium on reliability and they seem to have a very low unexpected failure rate so this is arguably overkill.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 16:10   #397
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

3 strings paralleled is a good guideline for maximum to avoid problems from imbalances. Past four def pushing things.

No product categories have zero failures.

Telecom sets yes are very reliable, but lot of that comes from very rarely cycled, and replaced on a calendar schedule, not waiting for any wear to start showing.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 06:11   #398
Zil

Yes. John has it. Also, I want products that are easier to find on most markets. That is not specialized 2 volt cells.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:57   #399

Boat: AMF Force 5 -- 14ft long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Really? Dont tell Trojan.

Attachment 145732
Umm that is actually 3 2v cells attached in parallel. Hence the three cell caps. Trojans 2 v battery is the same as their regular L16 with a Parallel instead of a series wiring setup
jason902 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring