Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-12-2014, 03:22   #1

Windlass keeps tripping circuit breaker

I just got my boat out of the charter company's hands after 8 years. When I use the anchor windlass it trips the circuit 4 or 5 times while bringing the anchor up. It runs strong for several seconds then starts to bog down and if I don't stop quickly enough to let it rest (cool down) it trips the circuit. It is not even able to bring the anchor up to the roller once it is free in about 30 feet of water without popping the breaker. This can be nerve wracking when drifting down on a reef or another boat. It has always worked well in the past when I would use my boat while in the hands of the charter company.
Not being terribly electrically inclined I would like to know if this sounds like a problem with the wiring or if the motor is going bad and needs to be replaced. I hate to change the motor and find out it was a wiring problem as I did with my fresh water pump.
Any help appreciated as I can no longer just tell the charter company to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MinorI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass