Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2019, 10:50   #1

Boat: Gib sea 43
Ultracapacitors parallel to houe battery.

I was just watching a video on ultracapacitors, the guy had replaced his start battery in his car with a capacitor bank, but also was using them in parallel with his house batteries , the reason being they help with high start loads, eg motors etc when running his inverter, reasoning it was extending his battery life by a fair extent by reducing damage done by high demand loads.

Anyone think there is any truth in it? they are cheap enough nowadays? worth an experiment?

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 11:12   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Ultracapacitors parallel to houe battery.

Probably reduce the high draw as the starter is engaged.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 11:53   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

They are sold very often to people who put together car stereo’s that just make noise, in other words very high power bass producers, not music.

They are snake oil as a battery is in effect one truly massive capacitor.
You would be much, much better off adding another battery.
Plus I believe caps discharge is extremely short, like a strobe, things lie starters and windlasses etc are much longer duration.

My opinion of course
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 11:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Unless there is something new in capacitor technology I don't see how they would completely replace a starting battery. Capacitors leak down their charge rather quickly so would be dead within hours or even minutes after they're charged so worthless for starting an engine in normal usage
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 12:05   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Unless there is something new in capacitor technology I don't see how they would completely replace a starting battery. Capacitors leak down their charge rather quickly so would be dead within hours or even minutes after they're charged so worthless for starting an engine in normal usage
" A supercapacitor (SC), also called an ultracapacitor, is a high-capacity capacitor with a capacitance value much higher than other capacitors, but with lower voltage limits, that bridges the gap between electrolytic capacitors and rechargeable batteries. It typically stores 10 to 100 times more energy per unit volume or mass than electrolytic capacitors, can accept and deliver charge much faster than batteries, and tolerates many more charge and discharge cycles than rechargeable batteries. "

Tesla must find them interesting as they have bought Maxwell. Speculation is that they will be used in the Tesla Semi which is due to go into production in 2020.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 13:10   #6

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

I did some research on ultracapacitors a few years ago trying to spec one that could replace a battery. They can be useful for meeting a very short peak load but they can't come close to competing with a battery for energy storage. If you actually have spike loads that are shortening the life of your batteries then perhaps they would be useful but I expect that is an unusual case. Start batteries are designed to deal with the load of starting an engine.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 17:38   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I believe there have been some hybrid race cars that harness tremendous energy during braking, to sort of launch the car out of the turn just a few seconds later.
I believe they have used super capacitors to do this.
But that’s huge loads in both directions and short durations, something that would be tough on a battery.
I think maybe Porsche may be using the Williams flywheel now? Seems you can dump more power into a flywheel in a shorter duration into a flywheel than a super capacitor?
Old 28-09-2019, 19:50   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe there have been some hybrid race cars that harness tremendous energy during braking, to sort of launch the car out of the turn just a few seconds later.
I believe they have used super capacitors to do this.
But that’s huge loads in both directions and short durations, something that would be tough on a battery.
I think maybe Porsche may be using the Williams flywheel now? Seems you can dump more power into a flywheel in a shorter duration into a flywheel than a super capacitor?
Just a guess because I have no knowledge but I would suspect that overcoming the inertia of a flywheel, plus the mass and gyroscopic effect would put a flywheel in second place behind Super Caps.
Old 29-09-2019, 01:05   #9

Formula 1 teams are using both at the moment, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kine...ecovery_system
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 01:21   #10

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Self discharge weeks to months depending on which of the 3 technologies you use.
Capacity 5-10% of Lithium batteries per weight (milliWattHours/gram).
Can supply 2-6 times the power per weight (Watts/gram).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercapacitor

For something like a car that you don't expect to sit for weeks seems like it would work to replace a battery.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 03:23   #11

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

I have been considering for some time adding a large car type 'boom box' capacitor at my 12v house panel. Very occasionally like maybe 2 or 3 times a week, my autopilot drops into standby, and the only reason I can think of is that there has been a momentary volt drop probably when the fridge starts. Not a super capacitor but something like 1-2 Farads should do it to reduce the voltage dips. I cannot see any downsides and there should be a positive gain.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 06:00   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Just a guess because I have no knowledge but I would suspect that overcoming the inertia of a flywheel, plus the mass and gyroscopic effect would put a flywheel in second place behind Super Caps.

Depending on how the flywheel was oriented, It’s inertia may well be an advantage. Position it so that it resists roll?
I think Porsche who has sort of led the hybrid race car thing, started out with Supercaps. And has abandoned them in favor of the flywheel.
I don’t know anything about them either, but would suspect magnetic coupling and running in a vacuum.

I’ve not kept up with auto racing though so I may well be wrong.
Old 29-09-2019, 06:05   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
I have been considering for some time adding a large car type 'boom box' capacitor at my 12v house panel. Very occasionally like maybe 2 or 3 times a week, my autopilot drops into standby, and the only reason I can think of is that there has been a momentary volt drop probably when the fridge starts. Not a super capacitor but something like 1-2 Farads should do it to reduce the voltage dips. I cannot see any downsides and there should be a positive gain.

The downside is money and maybe a fire hazard.
If’s very unlikely that your fridge is dropping bank voltage much at all, it’s much more likely that you have a loose ground or wiring that is too small.

You have a battery bank that is capable of providing short time duration amps likely measured in the thousands, and your 5 or 6 amp fridge compressor is causing a significant voltage drop?

For whatever it’s worth my B&G plotter occasionally alarms on voltage drop when there is no such voltage drop, I even ran new 10Ga wiring to no avail, I finally just disabled that alarm.
Old 29-09-2019, 06:05   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just a hunch but I have a feeling that Formula 1 will be all electric in the not to distant future. I'm really interested in what Tesla will use them for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
Have you run separate wiring from the main power bus to your autopilot or is it wired from your main switch panel? If from the panel I would suggest you try running power from the main bus bar to the autopilot.
Old 29-09-2019, 06:53   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Just a hunch but I have a feeling that Formula 1 will be all electric in the not to distant future. I'm really interested in what Tesla will use them for.

I don’t follow racing anymore, but I believe there is a formula electric or something similar.
My SWAG is Tesla would use the Caps to get the truck broken loose if you will, to get it moving from a stop, normally Caps are only good for a very short time.
The best example of what caps are good for is I think a Camera strobe, very short duration high current.

Tags
battery