Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2019, 09:59   #16

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: trying to source brushes for an Ideal windlass

I went through this with my Simpson Lawrence Anchorman. SL had replacement brushes but wanted a Kings ransom for a set. Found an outfit in New Jersey (I believe )that made 6 or 8 sets for half the price that SL wanted for a single set. Gave the extras to friends as Christmas presents. I sent the old ones in so they could match the brush composition and connection arrangement.

The replacement set is still going strong and I still have a spare set.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 11:13   #17

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

I believe the company was Helwig Carbon Products.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 11:49   #18

Boat: Outremer 50S

Sailorchic, sounds like you got it sorted. For anyone else with similar problems, I've repaired many a windlass brush, and always found a source in the Bosch starter brushes catalog. They made an awful lot of starters in a large variety of sizes. Can usually source a set for $5 - $10, way less than any windlass company.

Or, as Frankly noted, get some cut down by a decent shop.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 04:25   #19

Boat: Pearson 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Today my windlass had issues. When I installed it used two years ago, I knew that the brushes had limited life in them. Today the windlass gave up the ghost.

So I am in the market for a newset of brushes for my V3C Ideal windlass. I have a email into schaefer marine who now sells Ideal. However I suspect they would love to sell me a replacement motor. Alas my pockets are not so deep.
We had Schaefer Marine rebuild our entire windlass and it has worked flawlessly for two years. Piece of mind is worth the price.
Old 09-07-2019, 20:09   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

An update on my ideal windlass rebuild. The old brushes were only about a quarter inch long. I did finally replace the brushs and brush carrier with new brushes. But alas I had a short in the field wiring to ground also. Chants were said.

To make a long story short I found out that Western Motor Service is the OEM for the motor on the ideal windlass. The part number from Western Motor is a wms model W- 8900. Cost $313 plus shipping. this for the bi-directional two pole motor. For the single Direction motor the model number is W-7003. Both for a ideal v3c. most likely the same motor was used on all of them.

I decided just to get a brand new motor as the price was not to excessive. so that solves off all my trials and tribulations at least as The Windlass goes.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 20:33   #21

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
One nice thing about brushes is that you don't need to get the exact size. Get larger is necessary and file them down to fit properly. Messy but cost efficient.
This! Done it lots of times for odd electric motors in my life. I file then finish with 2000 wet and dry.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:13   #22

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
One nice thing about brushes is that you don't need to get the exact size. Get larger is necessary and file them down to fit properly. Messy but cost efficient.

I've certainly filed down brushes to fit.

But why not measure the brushes accurately with a vernier and then get on to eBay and buy brushes that fit exactly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp brushes.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	195747  
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:27   #23

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
An update on my ideal windlass rebuild. The old brushes were only about a quarter inch long. I did finally replace the brushs and brush carrier with new brushes. But alas I had a short in the field wiring to ground also. Chants were said.

To make a long story short I found out that Western Motor Service is the OEM for the motor on the ideal windlass. The part number from Western Motor is a wms model W- 8900. Cost $313 plus shipping. this for the bi-directional two pole motor. For the single Direction motor the model number is W-7003. Both for a ideal v3c. most likely the same motor was used on all of them.

I decided just to get a brand new motor as the price was not to excessive. so that solves off all my trials and tribulations at least as The Windlass goes.

Thank you for sharing your research. I've set this info aside for when the time comes for a new motor.

I haven't priced one from Schaefer, but sure it's stupidly expensive compared to the one you purchased. Also haven't been to very satisfied w/Schaefer's customer service the last few times and am always happy to source parts elsewhere when ever possible.

Thanks again.
Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 18:47   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Schaefer buys the same motor from western motor and resells it. I well note that I contacted Schaefer first, but had no response whatsoever.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brushes, wind, windlass