Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2019, 07:36   #1

Solar, Volts No Amps

I have two solar panels, 100w poly and 160w mono, connected in parallel, connected to a Votronic MPPT controller with a 40 amp fuse. Separately, i have three 100w monos connected in parallel and also connected to the same Votronic MPPT controller.

I unplugged the new 160w panel last night to put it away while we're going to be away for 2 months. Then I stupidly connected the loose cables, putting the system in series (I guess?), and breaking the fuse in the Votronic the next morning.

I replaced the fuse, and the Votronic started reading amperage from the three 100 w panels. I disconnected them. I re-connected the 100w poly. It shows a proper volt reading but no amps. I used a multimeter to check the voltage along the system, first checking at panels, then at each connection, and all the way to the Votronic.

I reconnected the 160w mono to the parallel circuit with the poly and I have current again. Weirdly, my battery control system is reading a higher input current to the batteries than the solar is providing (there's nothing else adding current...)

How can I have a volt reading from the poly panel and no current? Did I damage it when I connected the system in series? How can my BCS show a higher current than I'm generating? Is the Votronic somehow now miscalibrated so that it's only not showing current from the poly panel even though there is some?

Thanks for your help!
cstan22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar