Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2021, 22:27   #16

Boat: Roberts 45
Re: Should I have a switched negative ground?

That's correct, only this wasn't a particular concern for the OP and I didn't want to go into too many off-topic details.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 23:16   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
That's correct, only this wasn't a particular concern for the OP and I didn't want to go into too many off-topic details.
Good point -
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 16:34   #18

Boat: Beneteau 423

Stu - Thanks for the pointer to Maine Sail / Rod Collin's post. I had not seen that. I am more or less doing this this year. It will be good to compare my planned digram to his. I hadn't decided what to do with the switched ground. Looks like I can simplify things and work it out of the system.

Harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 17:52   #19

Indeed, the RF ground from the antenna tuner should not be a DC ground. The cheapest way to isolate it while still letting the RF through is to use the high-voltage capacitor from a dead microwave oven in series with the lead from the tuner to the earth plate. You need a high-voltage capacitor, but do not be tempted to use an electrolytic capacitor—they generally have measurable impedance at high frequencies.

Another point about wiring a steel boat—be very careful not to drop any bits of copper wire (easy to do when stripping off the insulation) into the bilge. In the presence of salt water, copper will eat steel.
Mike Burch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 18:55   #20

Boat: Van de Stadt 36 Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
One solution on a metal hull is to switch the negative to the starter/block off when not running the engine, as it can be difficult to isolate an engine and shafting from the hull. This can be accomplished with a solenoid wired to the start switch's run position. This way the connection is only made when the engine is running isolated the rest of the time.
The drawback here seems to be when the ignition that drives the solenoid is switched off before the engine comes to a full stop - this might very well fry the alternator diodes. I believe the Sterling ProProtect should safeguard this.

Quote:
Ideally all wiring on a metal boat avoids the hull connection. As noelex points out the ideal is all DC on double pole breakers, disconnecting both positive and negative. Valid only if you don't use an isolation transformer (in isolation mode), and you should have at least a galvanic isolator ("a.k.a. "zinc saver").

All pumps etc should be isolated from the hull as their cases are typically negative grounded.
As far as I know this is only valid for the DC circuit - the shore power PE should very well be connected to "earth" (i.e. hull and/or engine). If you maintain an isolated DC circuit PE should NOT be connected to DC negative, as to my current (limited) knowledge.
(Note - valid only if you don't use an isolation transformer in isolation mode, and you should use a galvanic isolator)
ErnestV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 19:14   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
That is most definitely incorrect.

One solution on a metal hull is to switch the negative to the starter/block off when not running the engine, as it can be difficult to isolate an engine and shafting from the hull. This can be accomplished with a solenoid wired to the start switch's run position. This way the connection is only made when the engine is running isolated the rest of the time.

Ideally all wiring on a metal boat avoids the hull connection. As noelex points out the ideal is all DC on double pole breakers, disconnecting both positive and negative.

All pumps etc should be isolated from the hull as their cases are typically negative grounded.
This is what I actually posted. Not sure how my post became modified. I was referring to DC, not AC.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 20:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
Stu - Thanks for the pointer to Maine Sail / Rod Collin's post. I had not seen that. I am more or less doing this this year. It will be good to compare my planned digram to his. I hadn't decided what to do with the switched ground. Looks like I can simplify things and work it out of the system.

Harry

You're very welcome, glad to share. That's why I kept the link to it handy!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:13   #23

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

[QUOTE=seabreez;3384343]The ground should not be switched. It is dangerous. There should be one grounding point and all grounds should go to that point and not through the hull for the return to the ground and to the battery. The engine should be grounded to that point.

I dis agree, According to your electric code in Nth America, which is not known for considering hull corrosion. But I will point out that Amel switch the negative to Engine and shafting on start up only.

I'm prepared to say that no commercial ship, ever has any phase DC, AC, High Voltage AC connected to hull at any time, except maybe when receiving shore power which is a rare event, tugs do it regular, different game, only for reason of shore code, I presume. There is very good reason, why Engineers are diligent to ensure, any phase even if high resistance (Like < 1 Meg) does not stay around for long.
Old 16-04-2021, 09:12   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Sidebar....for metal hulls, it is important that alternators have isolated grounds, otherwise creates stray current corrosion.
- had to do a quick replacement one time, didn’t get that detail right, saw impact PDQ.

Steel hull with all grounds lead to common ground on engine block, no switch. Isolation transformer on shore power.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 13:36   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We have all electronic devices and the windlass provided with + & - interrupt switches. The windlass totally interrupted and isolated from the boat means the galvanized chain lasts longer. The electronics are more protected from lightning induced surge if they can be separated from the ground grid but the air gap two pole switches need to be very close to the protected device. Suggest you also provide a large multi pin connector to disconnect all mast wiring.

Our boat also has solenoid operated main breakers from key switches on the main panel. These isolate both plus and minus when tripped.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 22:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofacey View Post
Sidebar....for metal hulls, it is important that alternators have isolated grounds, otherwise creates stray current corrosion.
- had to do a quick replacement one time, didn’t get that detail right, saw impact PDQ.
PDQ? Had to look that one up, as it's not really a sailing term -- pretty darn quick. Too hard to spell it out?

Either way, you mean one should have a dedicated ground wire from the alternator to the starter battery? That's always a good thing, however, isolating the alternator from the engine might be difficult and I don't see where stray currents would flow?

Old 17-04-2021, 00:39   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
isolating the alternator from the engine might be difficult
Isolated alternators are common and come standard with many marine engines.

Quote:
and I don't see where stray currents would flow?
If the engine is connected to the negative supply then in many installations the negative supply is therefore connected to seawater via the prop shaft or saildrive although alternatively it is possible to electrically isolate the drive train in some cases. If there is second electrical connection to the seawater, for example via the anchor windlass and anchor chain, or the autopilot via the rudder, then current will flow between these two points, as they can never be at exactly the same voltage (even two negative connections). This will cause stray current corrosion on one of the metal parts (drive train, rudder, or ground tackle in this example) or at least more rapid corrosion of anodes designed to protect these metals.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 01:24   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
[...]
If the engine is connected to the negative supply then in many installations the negative supply is therefore connected to seawater via the prop shaft or saildrive although alternatively it is possible to electrically isolate the drive train in some cases. If there is second electrical connection to the seawater, for example via the anchor windlass and anchor chain, [...]This will cause stray current corrosion on one of the metal parts [...]
I agree with you with regards to other parts that are connected to the surrounding water, only the alternator ground should not fall into that category? Its ground (on my Perkins) is through the chassis which is bolted to the engine block.

All that said, I'll check how good that connection really is by using an Ohmmeter tmrw.