Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2017, 13:27   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Real-Life Power Consumption Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Its the extented passages that eat up the power, it compounds. Trying to get the bank back up is difficult with power hogs like the autopilot. I tend to start the engine each morning to whack a big chunk in while underway.
A64, I also have always struggled with having a perfectly good battery sitting there doing nothing and combine both banks regularly, when in a area that assures me I don't be stuck, obviously the danger is the whole bank going down and not having a way to start the engine, what is your plan regarding this?

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

I have 1000 W of Solar, If I find a way to kill the bank so bad I can't even start the generator or main engine, then I can isolate a couple of good batteries and the Solar will charge them up enough to crank the motor. I may buy another Honda to save hours on the Diesel gen set too, undecided there.
My 4-JHE can easily be started with a lawnmower battery I'm sure, it doesn't take much power to start, it's not like it was a big DD or something.
I haven't tried, but bet I could get it going with my Milwaukee angle drill I use on my winches.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 13:51   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

It is interesting you find the AP a hog. I sail boats for money at times and found that on most big and sensible boats the fridges and the plasmas make for about 80% of the power budget.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 14:14   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It is interesting you find the AP a hog. I sail boats for money at times and found that on most big and sensible boats the fridges and the plasmas make for about 80% of the power budget.

b.
I wonder if sail balance is an issue. There are a lot of things you can do to lighten the load that you don't think about when day sailing. For example, if reaching deep, use more head sail and less main.
Old 13-04-2017, 14:16   #19

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.
I've only done a couple of overnighters on this new to me boat, both times were with rolly following seas with 20+ knots, and I had the autopilot on a higher response level, its a 47 foot boat, I guesstimate its drawing 5 amps. The fridge as always is a hog thats manageable BUT combined with the autopilot running 24hr its alot. As I mentioned in another thread ive solved the autopilot pilot power issue by getting my hydrovane working well saving me approx 90-130 amp. Now that's no big deal on short passages but I plan on having a couple of 10day passages this year, it becomes substantial then, accumulative, batteries slowly creeping down. Combine this with some overcast weather and its worse.

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 14:20   #20

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I wonder if sail balance is an issue. There are a lot of things you can do to lighten the load that you don't think about when day sailing. For example, if reaching deep, use more head sail and less main.
Sail balance matters obviously, but running deep at 190 ish just using genoa it isnt the issue, sea state is more the issue in developed trade wind conditions. If you have 20-30k that have been happening for days in relatively shallow coastal water the following sea or just off your quarter is hard on the autopilot.
Take it this boat is new to me so still learning and this could be part of the issue.

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 04:32   #21

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I may buy another Honda to save hours on the Diesel gen set too, undecided there.

Can't imagine that being useful. The diesel genset should be good for a bazillion hours, and "use it or lose it" generally applies. What would be your gain? The genset lasts for 5 lifetimes beyond your own?

-Chris
Old 09-05-2021, 14:33   #22

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Just to update this, because someone just pulled this up on another forum. When I originally posted these numbers, we owned a Seawind 1000. The system and current draw numbers are all for that boat. We have since upsized to a Seawind 1160 Lite, with completely different systems. As that is the boat we own now, that is what shows up under our boat ownership info. And it makes it look like the numbers I posted back in 2017 were for a Lite. They were for the Seawind 1000.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consumption